Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gmmg Intermediate Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gmmg Intermediate Pipe?

Don't know if this was the right section to post if not sorry. Question. I bought a gmmg exhaust a few months ago from a guy in Van nuys at the time I didn't know anything about exhaust systems I'm catching on to everything very quick now tho. Anyway when I bought the exhaust I didn't know it came with the Intermediate Pipe which I didn't receive I went to get the exhaust installed today an when it was on the lift I realized that I needed that part. The muffler guy just cut through the stock Intermediate Pipe an welded it on the gmmg catback sound good when started an idle but raspy as hell anything above 40mph from what I understand it's not going to be raspy on a bone stock ls1 only after you install Lts an ORY which I don't have so my question is will this decrease any hp that I would see with the gmmg i pipe an do you think that's the reason it's raspy. I pretty sure there not going to sell me jus the I pipe so does anyone know where I can get the 3inch I pipe I believe it's 3 inch if I'm not mistaking
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The inlet of the GMMG pipe is 2.75" just like factory. You could likely just buy a mandrel 3" I-pipe from any catback and have your muffler shop weld it in -- but if you want to retain the slip-fit connection to the y-pipe then you'll be retaining the 2.75" inlet.

As for rasp, I personally think GMMG sounds like poo with LT's and ORY. I liked it on my old SS as just the catback. That's why that stuff is subjective
Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Teching In

I have the Gmmg with lt, ory and it is raspy, I'm going to place a bullet muffler in the I pipe before spring and see what happens,on the plus side this exhaust set up sounds mean at wot
Old 01-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smc02
I have the Gmmg with lt, ory and it is raspy, I'm going to place a bullet muffler in the I pipe before spring and see what happens,on the plus side this exhaust set up sounds mean at wot
Do you guys think that using the stock I pipe will cause any hp/torque lost and would it sound better with aftermarket I pipe it should be more free flowing right?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cj_ls1
Do you guys think that using the stock I pipe will cause any hp/torque lost and would it sound better with aftermarket I pipe it should be more free flowing right?
I don't think you'll notice any difference on a bolt-on car. If it were me, I'd simply run it the way it is until I felt like switching to duals -- or just put a cutout on it!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

I have a similar setup that isn't gmmg, but i was unhappy with a similar sounding rasp that suddenly appeared in the 2500-3000rpm range. i had a roughly 28" dynomax bullet put in the I-pipe and it made dissappear about 90% and quieted the exhaust from idle to redline by about 50%.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:43 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Summit sells a Walker/Dynomax I-pipe that would give you the full 3". I've used it on both my cars with my homemade Hooker Maxflow setups.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Summit sells a Walker/Dynomax I-pipe that would give you the full 3". I've used it on both my cars with my homemade Hooker Maxflow setups.
Will it flow better if I go with the 3inch an will it Change sound/tone?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It'll flow a little better. Tone won't vary much. The difference won't be huge; it'd be like installing a full GMMG catback versus just replacing the muffler.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
It'll flow a little better. Tone won't vary much. The difference won't be huge; it'd be like installing a full GMMG catback versus just replacing the muffler.
Would I be able to purchase just the I pipe or would I have to buy the whole kit?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...347&cc=1379976

Can purchase just the I-pipe.

-J
Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Default Gmmg exhaust

I have ARH LT's with the catted y-pipe into the GMMG exhaust on a mild cam 2000 SS. Yes even with the high flow cats still raspy so I installed a chambered pipe in place of the I pipe. (classicchambered.com) part #3026sb perfect size for I pipe. Got rid of the worst of the rasp and gave it a badass tone. Man I love how it sounds now! Torched 02 TA had an awesome post on how to eliminate raspiness with the GMMG that helped out. As far as hp I doubt it's enough to notice big changes.

Quick Reply: Gmmg Intermediate Pipe?