LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starter grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter grinding?

So recently my starter has been acting up making horrible grinding noises when I try to start it, then if I turn the key a second time it will usually start up normal like nothing ever happened From what little research I've done, I guess the starter solenoid is going out or it needs shimmed because the gear isn't engaging the flywheel teeth all the way? I've never had any starter issues before, the car has 150K on it with a newish (<5000 miles 11.5 CR 383 that was installed about 3 years ago) it is the ONLY original accessory left which has not been replaced yet, which make it suspect to me.

My question is, should I just go buy a remanufactured one and replace it, or is it possible the original one would all the sudden need shimmed on the new engine nearly 3 years later? Seems to me if the teeth were not engaging all the way this would have been a problem from day one of putting it on this 383....ideas?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I wound up having to shim my OE starter, but only after I switched out the OE flexplate for a TCI piece. With as many miles as your car has, I'd suggest having it rebuilt. Do you have a capable shop locally?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
FWIW, I wound up having to shim my OE starter, but only after I switched out the OE flexplate for a TCI piece. With as many miles as your car has, I'd suggest having it rebuilt. Do you have a capable shop locally?
I'd probably just by a reman one from Advance auto...they have them fairly cheap ($120) with lifetime warranty. I may just try putting it on myself, my car is a 6spd so should be fairly simple with just a couple bolts right? I haven't looked up under the car to see what all is involved yet.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Also, check your flywheel or flexplate to make sure no teeth are missing.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While you are at it have you upgraded the wiring to the tarter. The stock starter with a good cable will turn over a LOT.
I would second the question about a local rebuilder, I had a couple starters and an alternator rebuilt locally and I believe I was charged $120 for all three total.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember what the Camaro starter looks like, but it sounds to me like the starter drive went bad.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:17 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^^What he said. Starter drive. Don't throw your money away on a rebuilt starter! Or a remanufactured starter drive. Rebuilt starters always have reman starter drives, which fail way more often and sooner than a new one. You would be wise to put a new starter drive on it. Much less chance of having to do it again anytime soon.

Had my own shop shop for 40 years. Been through this many times. Learned this the hard way. Come backs are expensive. Way too many times accompanied by a wrecker bill. LOL
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP. If there is a qualified local rebuilder you can have yours repaired or buy a new starter drive if you can find one. Unfortunately those kind of shops are fading away since the off-shore reman crap floods the market. These 16-18 year old car accessorys do finally fail.

You can buy Nipon Denso "Vette" starters from Autozone (17124) that is a OSGR (offset gear reduction) type that are a good option over the larger, heavier, F/B body type often cheaper than a replacement starter.

also if your battery cables are original, might want to get a quality, heavier gauge, replacement set.

www.innovativewiring.com makes very good stuff.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That reminds me napa lists a new vette starter for 164$ part number NNE 4N6199
Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

On second thought, I think I will take the advice to let a local auto electrical shop rebuild it; that didn't really cross my mind to get it rebuilt locally since I'm so used to buying cheap Chinese made accessories and parts from autozone/advance/napa all the time. There's a local auto electric shop I just called and quoted $60 low end- $80 high end estimate without seeing the car. So, about half price as a Chinese rebuilt one, and as a bonus I don't even have to get my hands dirty fooling with it Seems like a no brainer, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 01-29-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Just an update, that auto electric shop said my old starter was toast....it was F.U.B.A.R.! They couldn't rebuild it, so they put a new one in for about $200 including the parts and labor. The new starter definitely turns it over with a lot more authority, the old one seemed pretty weak in comparison even before it started grinding, especially with my newer higher compression 383... it was kinda slow to turn it over, hopefully this new one will last another 20 years

Quick Reply: Starter grinding?