Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch slipping

ok fellas I have a problem, a couple of weeks ago my slave cylinder started leaking, so I replace it with an a/c delco brand yesterday, and now my clutch fells like is slipping and wont catch. Wen ever I drop the trany I did notice the slave had a spacer behind it, so I left it alone the only thing I change was the slave, everything went back in smooth. I bleed the clutch till I had a firm pedal and no more air in the system, the gears all go in good no grinding, the only thing I did notice was that my clutch dosn't ingage till the very top I actually have to let the pedal all the way out and then it grabs. what would cause this? before it wasn't slipping the only thing it would do was the clutch would stick to the floor wen all the fluid leak out, I would re-fill it and I was fine again it never slip, so why now that I have a brand new slave is it slipping?

the set-up is, 01 Z/28 M-6 ofcourse specs stg II clutch with a billet fly-wheel less then 30k miles stock mc, and a a/c delco slave cylinder. please help!! and would a adjust master cylinder help?? sorry for the spelling my dam key bord sucks lol
Old 01-18-2014, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

any ideas? lol I already try searching but nothing really answer my problem?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the clutch is somehow being preloaded which would coincide with the higher release point or the disc was contaminated with fluid when the slave failed, I would contact the manufacturer of the clutch to get their recommendation as Kevlar is a sponge.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

a leaking slave almost gaurentees fluid got on your disc. I am not a fan of Kevlar for street clutches as SNL notes not only are they sponges they glaze easily especially when slipped or in the case where there is to much pre-load on PP that will cause slip and glazeing.

if you didn't pull clutch when you did slave to inspect...looks like you have to now.

your shim "should" have been the same since you left the same clutch in.

The SPEC guy frequents this forum so maybe he can further comment on their product and what your problem may be....

...although a previously leaking slave is highly suspect on disc contamination regardless of what it is made of.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

dam, but how come wen it was leaking it never slip? do you guys think an adjustable mc would help? I just don't understand, I mean if the fluid contaminated my disk wouldt it have been slipping wen I had my leaky slave? thnkx for the reply's by the ways fellas, hopefully the specs guy stops by this post lol
Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

after driving the car around it almost fells like the clutch is not engaging all the way?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you torq the pressure plate properly? measure the air gap for the shim? these are all things that need to be done to ensure its set up correctly
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

well the only thing that we replace was the slave cylinder nothing more
Old 01-30-2014, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 reaper z28
well the only thing that we replace was the slave cylinder nothing more
Every part has tolerances, but maybe the new slave isn't fully collapsing for because of the spring being in the way of release bearing? Only way to check this is to pull apart and measure as mentioned above, hope that helps.

Quick Reply: clutch slipping