Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct port on 2JZ-GE with stupid intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct port on 2JZ-GE with stupid intake manifold

Hello,

Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations on doing a DP on this engine. The runners curve down and the closest points to the cylinders are underneath the throttle body. It's a terrible design for something like this. I was thinking of putting the lines here (if I ever do this) but I don't know if they would be too far high. Plus I would have a hard time getting to the oil filter. What a PITA. I'm not going to swap out for the GTE manifold, too much work. Would it be possible just to do a simple 2 nozzle towards the back of the Y where it meets into the manifold?

Realized I might have hood clearance issues this way

Last edited by lferrante; 01-22-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure you could get an answer here but your best bet would probably be hitting up a 2JZ forum.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

We could probably put a spray bar in that intake. How big of a shot are you looking to run?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Dream- the 2JZ/Supra/Lexus forums are filled with people scared of N2O. There's hardly any info out there.

Brandon, where would the plate go? Before the TB by the plastic intake part? What's the difference between doing a plate at the TB vs. a nozzle only inches away like I have now? Won't I run into the same possibility of pooling and bad dispersion in the manifold past 150 shot? Do you mean putting a plate where I drew the two pink circles? I don't know if I could shift the TB to the left in that case because of the throttle cable and mounts.

Currently I'm spraying about 140-150 shot with Zex nozzle. I don't know how much higher I could go on the stock internals (or a progressive / 2 stage system)

Last edited by lferrante; 01-22-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

A spray bar would go through the plenum and have the discharges aimed down each runner. It wouldn't be a plate. They would be machined into the intake.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lferrante
Dream- the 2JZ/Supra/Lexus forums are filled with people scared of N2O. There's hardly any info out there.
I disagree with that statement, there's plenty of information on the supraforums about nitrous setups. Majority of the 900+RWHP guys use it to aid in spool up/lag issues on those massive turbos.

Have you ever considered going with a forward facing style intake manifold? The OEM 2JZ-GE Intake Manifold is very restrictive and the fact that the intake pipe crosses the exhaust manifold doesn't help.

Here's a pic of a OEM 2JZ-GE Lower Runner fabricated to a custom plenum with a direct port setup.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

What about picking up an XS-Power piece which mimics the GTE version at a fraction of the cost of what it would take to convert the GTE OEM intake to your head or buying an off the shelf expensive piece? I had one but never got to use it but the guy that bought it off of me loved it and said it worked well especially for the price. Obviously it wounldnt be as efficient as the more expensive counterparts.

http://xs-power.com/toyota-turbo-manifolds-19.htm
Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by RBD_305
I disagree with that statement, there's plenty of information on the supraforums about nitrous setups. Majority of the 900+RWHP guys use it to aid in spool up/lag issues on those massive turbos.
The people on my.is didn't bat an eye when I laid out the whole system. I basically got "just run dry" as suggestions.

Have you ever considered going with a forward facing style intake manifold? The OEM 2JZ-GE Intake Manifold is very restrictive and the fact that the intake pipe crosses the exhaust manifold doesn't help.
I don't know how to re-pipe the plastic intake and resonator to reach all the way over to the front facing port. Wouldn't this create issues for the MAF since it's expecting a certain temperature based on the air velocity? I don't know. AFAIK the front facing system is only for turbo equipped cars with the intercooler piping. Wouldn't I have to take out all the duct work in the bumper and somehow recut/reshape it to go on the driver side of the car? What about all the vacuum/ ICV lines? Seems like a ton of work. I quickly googled about this and it's been done, but seems like all turbo conversions.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by lferrante; 01-23-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 PM

interesting, do you have an example picture? I think I know what you mean, it's like a 3-4" long tube in each runner distributed by a block. ?

Originally Posted by brandon@nitrousoutlet
A spray bar would go through the plenum and have the discharges aimed down each runner. It wouldn't be a plate. They would be machined into the intake.

Last edited by lferrante; 01-23-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

The people on my.is didn't bat an eye when I laid out the whole system. I basically got "just run dry" as suggestions.

I don't know how to re-pipe the plastic intake and resonator to reach all the way over to the front facing port. Wouldn't this create issues for the MAF since it's expecting a certain temperature based on the air velocity? I don't know. AFAIK the front facing system is only for turbo equipped cars with the intercooler piping. Wouldn't I have to take out all the duct work in the bumper and somehow recut/reshape it to go on the driver side of the car? What about all the vacuum/ ICV lines? Seems like a ton of work. I quickly googled about this and it's been done, but seems like all turbo conversions.
All the good 2jz information is on Supraforums.com, with the FFIM you can create a custom cold air intake setup since your still N/A. Just plumb the old maf into it. And of course tuning will be required.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

All the good 2jz information is on Supraforums.com, with the FFIM you can create a custom cold air intake setup since your still N/A. Just plumb the old maf into it. And of course tuning will be required.
the longer runner's of the n/a manifold are better suited to a non boosted application
Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

interesting, do you have an example picture? I think I know what you mean, it's like a 3-4" long tube in each runner distributed by a block. ?
Actually it would be one long spray bar down the plenum of the intake before the runners split up.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a pic of a OEM 2JZ-GE Lower Runner fabricated to a custom plenum with a direct port setup.

Did you do this yourself? Looks great!

-Garrett
Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blacktransam
the longer runner's of the n/a manifold are better suited to a non boosted application
He can still run the stock long runners, the lower runners in the pic was chopped for a boosted application.

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Did you do this yourself? Looks great!

-Garrett
No sir, I said the same myself and had to save the pic. This is from a supraforum member 2JZMK3 I believe.

Quick Reply: Direct port on 2JZ-GE with stupid intake manifold