Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 LT1 to 1967 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 LT1 to 1967 camaro

Hi! I´m starting to install LT1 to my camaro and need some advice on what can i remove from my new engine? I don´t need any emission stuff so those can go, if someone had photo of what can be removed or links to pictures i would be really happy

Also do i need LT1 radiator or does the 1967 model do the trick? I have electric fan on it now and its 4 core rad. There seems to be a lot of cooling etc hoses everywere, are all of them necessary?

So basically i would like to keep the engine room as clean as possible and need to know how to do it.

If someone who has done it allready could give me some advice?? Thank you allready for the trouble!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Default progress

This is the engine and trans package that i bought: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/4265260650.html

what year car is that? I can see from the photos that it has egr valve on it and also it will have vats on it. Vats can be overrided pretty easy, i´m gonna buy the box thats on sale in ebay that has both wave modes in it.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have this conversion in my car. Read this, it has a lot of good info- http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/re...t%20camaro.pdf It will get you a good start, let me know what other questions you might have.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 130fe
I used to have this conversion in my car. Read this, it has a lot of good info- http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/re...t%20camaro.pdf It will get you a good start, let me know what other questions you might have.
Thank you very much for the info! Theres huge amount of info in that page...only thing is the wiring but i think i can handle that, i have the original wiring with the car, just have to find out what wires to hook to my camaros wiring.

I´m gonna remove the a/c completely so i´m gonna need the pulley whats mentioned on that paige. Really looking forward for the swap...

Engine arrives about 4-6 weeks from now. I live in finland so sea trip takes some time

So i can bother you if i came across some trouble. I´m getting gas tank from tanks inc and also the fuel pump etc for the car. I´ve heard lots of bad about the outside fuel pumps about them being noisy and breaking alot.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Launching!

I have gone through several iterations with my fuel system throughout the years, I first swapped in the LT1 back in 2001 and now have a LS3. I believe the critical part of an EFI swap is the fuel system. In a perfect world, you want to run an in tank pump- More efficient. The best one is from Ricks Tanks. Other options include Rock Valley http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/catalog.htm or even a 94-96 impala ss tank. I have had both Rock Valley and Ricks Tanks and they are both great. The Impala SS one can be down with some modification.

You can run an external pump, sure they can be noisy but the hardest part is keeping them with a steady fuel supply. They can be starved when you fuel tank gets below 1/4 if you don't have a sump built in to the tank. The first fuel pump I ran was this one- the MSD 2225. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-2225 Sure it was noisy (not obnoxious, I had a cam anyway.). If you follow the S&P guide, it will help you a lot. I did not use the corvette overflow tank.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Teching In

its funny how people react when i told them that i´m gonna change the engine to LT1. 35% of them told me that i´m mad, theres no need for the change, you gain nothing by the change, your car value will degrease by doing so etc...thats what i´ve heard today about the change

50% of the people are saying go for it with big smile and the rest don´t have an opinion about the whole process.

i had a real argue about the whole change thing today with a friend of mine whos been dealing with these old cars for ever. His always restored his on cars the way they came from the factory...thats just not the way i like them to be.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Default ok, the engine was 1993

So is there these type of brackets for lt1 engine somewhere? I´m looking for something like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Chevy-with-Short-Water-Pump-Chrome-Alternator-Bracket-Kit-SBC-SWP-/360516419676?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f074005c&vxp=mtr
the serpentine system is way too expensive for my budjet so something like above would be nice...
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive helped with a LT1 swap into a 1st gen and the owner bought some hot rod package for the serpentine system but I hated how it looked, not sure of the brand.

If I was doing the swap I would use the factory accessorie bracket, cut the top alternator mounts off and move it to either where the A/C goes or on the other side of the crank pulley for a cleaner look up top and powder coat the bracket.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94LTZ
Ive helped with a LT1 swap into a 1st gen and the owner bought some hot rod package for the serpentine system but I hated how it looked, not sure of the brand.

If I was doing the swap I would use the factory accessorie bracket, cut the top alternator mounts off and move it to either where the A/C goes or on the other side of the crank pulley for a cleaner look up top and powder coat the bracket.
Thanks for the answer! i´ll do just that. Im gonna move it to the A/C place, then i´m gonna retrofit my saginaw ps pump to the other side of the crank.

I think that i can but normal V-belt crank pulley on top of the original pulley, then do my own bracket for the pump...then i don´t need to order new hoses for the steering and also i have no idea about the pressure on the 1993 pump vs the older one. I think the newer pump has much bigger pressure then the original and that may cause trouble. If someone knows more about the pump thing let me know, it would be easier to replace hoses rather then do brackets etc to the old pump.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Speed Inc. used to make a kit to do the relocation on LT1's but I don't think they make the kits any more, you might want to try and make a want to buy thread in the classifieds and see if maybe some one has one they will sell.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Launching!

How are you going to use a a V-belt? Those weren't an option with LT1s. The 55-91 small/big block stuff will not work. Corvette from 92-96, camaro/firebird (V8) 93-97 and impala SS/caprice 94-96 are the only ones compatible with the block (mounting holes).

Here are some options for you-

I had the corvette one- http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT1-LT4-Corvette-Front-Serpentine-Accessory-Belt-Drive-ALTERNATOR-PS-A-C-USED-/121136096627?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c34462573&vxp=mtr
Then I switched to the Street and Performace (because I wanted more "flash")-
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/08%20catalog/page71.pdf

The F-body drive- http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-94-95-LT1-Z28-TA-Accessory-Serpentine-Drive-/360822712436?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5402b5a874
Another option (if they still make them) is to use F-body drive with AC- http://www.bowersrodshop.com/old/info_pulley_j.htm

What crank pulley do you have? The corvette and F-body/impala ones have different offsets from the block. Its important to know which one you have before you start buying stuff.

I know the corvette and S&P one fits in a first gen without any issues. You could install the f-body accys with the Bowers kit and shouldn't run into any issues either.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Teching In

i´m just gonna put v-belt crabk pulley on top of the lt1 crnak pulley, they have the same bolt pattern so they fit, then just have to fabricate bracket for the ps pump and thats it...no need for 1000$ accessory removal stuff. i´m gonna look for the photo for the whole thing so you know what i mean.
Attached Thumbnails 1995 LT1 to 1967 camaro-picture020.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Thats a pretty interesting setup!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 130fe
Thats a pretty interesting setup!
thats exactly what i thought and gonna do my setup just like that one...i can keep my old pump and hoses. Only need to make one bracket for the ps pump. Thats about the cleanest that it can get i think.

Also need to make tightening bracket for both of them but thats pretty easy. Only need to bolt upper bolt from both of them to the engine and but rod type of thíghtener to the lower bolt hole and other end to the engine... Those can be bought straight from ebay but not too hard to make your self. I´ll post pictures when starting to fabricate these.

Quick Reply: 1995 LT1 to 1967 camaro