Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help For this guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help For this guy

I'm looking for some answers and hope people can help. Car is a 81 Z Camaro for the build.

1st: How can I tell if I have a LQ4 or LQ9 block? 5.3 is out of a 2004 Silverado or Express van. Thats what I was told anyway. Its got 70k on it. Came with complete harness and puter.

2nd: I looked around on here for days and my head is about to explode. There are so many #s of parts I really dont know what to be looking for. I'm also not sure what will fit on the block because there are no brackets or accessories. For instance Corvette brackets but what year? Camaro or Gto but what yrs? I need a Ls6 intake I think. I know the one I have is for a truck because its higher. I also have a extra one off a 6.0 which is the same size so it really does me no good as it wont fit under my hood.

3rd: I found a Chevy Muscle car pan that fits the Ls motors. Jegs, Summit etc. Are they all the same? Like will it fit my block.

4th: I have read like 5 complete builds on this site (by the way they are truly awesome) I tried to follow along but got lost because they never said what they bought for brackets and such.

Sooooo in closing could someone point me in the right direction. This is a budget build and I'm trying to do this by spring. Mass winters suck *** and my headache is getting worse. Thanks for assisting.

Carl
Frozen in the Northeast.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

1)lq4 and lq9's are 6.0's.
lq9's have flat pistons (higher compression)
lq4's have dished pistons (lower compression)
2) my buddy is doing the same 5.3 swap in his 92 camaro and is running 98-02 f-body front accessories
intake depends on what you want to spend.
ls1 and l6 will both work but ls6 flows and will cost 3x as much
3)f-body oil pan. I had to notch the x-member for clearance.(simple to make the pan fit)
4)as for motor mount you need to figure what headers you will be running. each manufacturer uses different mount
hope this helps a little

Last edited by Forcepower; 01-26-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. I don't know

2. You can use pretty much any bracket setup, but everything needs to match. For instance, you can't use a Corvette alternator on truck brackets. You'll need to grab everything off of an engine, or buy all new stuff. If you don't have an alternator or waterpump already, I suggest looking into this package: http://paceperformance.com/i-6485405...7-engines.html

3. All blocks will have the same bolt pattern for the oil pan. The Holley one is a great choice, as it has the lowest profile (to my knowledge).

4. Many of us are using stock brackets. There are other options, such as the link I gave above. You can also look at a company called Dirty Dingo. They even have a setup to use truck accessories and still run a "car" style intake. If you plan to use the LS6 intake, you will need the car waterpump and accessories. You can use the truck accessories with an LS1 intake, but the TB on the LS6 will not allow it.

Dave
Also frozen in the mid-Atlantic.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost ALL of the brackets, accessories, oil pans, heads, intakes, exhaust manifolds.... etc will fit ALL of the different blocks with a few exceptions (few small generation differences and rectangle port heads need larger bore).

So as far as what will fit.... pretty much everything.

1. LQ4/LQ9 is a 6.0. If you have a 5.3, then you have neither of these.

2. This depends on which intake and/or water pump you use. If you use the truck intake, then you can use truck or car accessories. Car intakes will need car water pump. If you use a car water pump, you will either need car accessories, or spacers to space out your water pump to use truck accessories.

As far as corvette or camaro blah blah, that's all for fitment. Find out what you need for fitment purposes and run that. In my Nova, the truck accessories fit fine so I ran those.

3. The GM muscle car pan is just that, a pan made by GM. No matter who sells it or who carries it, its still the same GM pan. All pans will fit all blocks they all use the same bolt pattern.

4. Read #2
Old 01-26-2014, 06:54 PM

Thank you thank you. Now I feel like I can move forward with this. So I apparently do not have the 6.0 being that 5.3 is stamped into the block. Open both next time. I removed the valve covers and this thing is clean. Like spotless clean. I removed the intake as well and again, clean. Now comes the process of gathering stuff. Going with all the car stuff because I'm leaning toward the LS6 intake. Whats the major difference between the LS1 and LS6? Is it just the flow is better? Can I use the throttle body from the truck intake? And one last thing will the fuel injectors fit? I have 2 sets. One off of the 5.3 intake and a set off of the 6.0 intake. I don't want to mess **** up. Also has anyone used a truck harness on a car? Its complete and was wondering if it would work. Thanks again.

Noob Carl
Still 5 degrees in the Northeast.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Skull1313
Thank you thank you. Now I feel like I can move forward with this. So I apparently do not have the 6.0 being that 5.3 is stamped into the block. Open both next time. I removed the valve covers and this thing is clean. Like spotless clean. I removed the intake as well and again, clean. Now comes the process of gathering stuff. Going with all the car stuff because I'm leaning toward the LS6 intake. Whats the major difference between the LS1 and LS6? Is it just the flow is better? Can I use the throttle body from the truck intake? And one last thing will the fuel injectors fit? I have 2 sets. One off of the 5.3 intake and a set off of the 6.0 intake. I don't want to mess **** up. Also has anyone used a truck harness on a car? Its complete and was wondering if it would work. Thanks again.

Noob Carl
Still 5 degrees in the Northeast.
The LS6 and LS1 intakes LOOK pretty much the same, but the LS6 flows far better. An LS1 intake is about as good as the truck intake, maybe even a slight drop in performance. TB from the truck will fit the LS1 intake, but won't fit the LS6 intake...and you don't want it anyway if you are using the better intake. You'll need the larger TB. I don't know the size offhand sorry. You'll need fuel rails and new injectors too. Without new injectors you'll be starving your engine of fuel and robbing you of power. If you have a FlexFuel 5.3, you can use those injectors with the LS1 intake, with some added spacers. For LS6, you should buy the ones that come on the LS6 cars
Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Without new injectors he will be starving his engine? How did you come to that conclusion?

Btw, the truck TB will technically bolt to the LS6 intake.

truck injectors are shorter than car injectors, so you cannot use the truck injectors on the ls1 intake and fuel rails.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HexenLord
Without new injectors he will be starving his engine? How did you come to that conclusion?

Btw, the truck TB will technically bolt to the LS6 intake.

truck injectors are shorter than car injectors, so you cannot use the truck injectors on the ls1 intake and fuel rails.
Perhaps starving was too strong of a word. But 5.3 injectors are 25 lb and the LS6 are 28 lb. More air flows through the LS6 intake...intake wants more fuel with it.

5.3 TB should be a 70mm, and the LS6 has a 78mm. Again, choking off air if he sticks with the 5.3 TB.

Truck injectors (at least the FlexFuel ones) WILL work on an LS1 manifold with a spacer. I have done it. Did it with aftermarket rails though...don't know if stock rails would be any different.

If the LS6 intake has the 3 bolt pattern, then yes it will bolt up. But if he's not going to use the better flowing LS6 to his advantage, he might as well just put an LS1 intake on instead.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock injectors might be 25 lbs, but they aren't being pushed to the max. Quite a bit of power can still be made without touching the injectors.

Stock truck TB is not 70mm. I'm pretty sure its the same size as the LS1/LS6 throttle body.

Yes you can use different injectors with aftermarket rails since you get better options for brackets and mounting.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:02 PM

So what would be a decent injector. Is there a number? I read 25 28. The bigger the number the more flow? Is to much a bad thing? Im going to find a ls6 intake somewhere. I've seen some around but they are big dollars. I'll keep looking. Thanks again guys for the info. Keep it coming. Now I'm getting somewhere.

Quick Reply: Help For this guy