Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, another TD question thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another TD question thread

I plan on running some Lt/TDs here in the near future. (Some old lady backed into me, and the car is in the shop )
My plans are to buy some used pacesetters, a JEGS universal x pipe kit, and either some spiral flows or the summit brand glasspacks. AIR/ERG will be getting deleted with the block off plates, and I'll be getting those o2 extensions from texas speed.

My first question is how practical will this setup be for DD'ing? I know it can be loud enough to make kids poo a little, but aren't those spiral flow's quiet except under WOT?
How hard will this install be for me and a buddy to do in a driveway? how long? 4-6 hours? (hopefully, I can use a local bodyshop on a weekend)
What do you all recommend as far as putting it together goes? Bandclamps for the collectors, and weld the rest?
How does the jegs x pipe kit fit? Will it need much modifying? (pn 30662)

Sorry about the questions, I just need to be 100% confident/informed about what i'll be doing.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThatOneKid
I plan on running some Lt/TDs here in the near future. (Some old lady backed into me, and the car is in the shop )
My plans are to buy some used pacesetters, a JEGS universal x pipe kit, and either some spiral flows or the summit brand glasspacks. AIR/ERG will be getting deleted with the block off plates, and I'll be getting those o2 extensions from texas speed.

My first question is how practical will this setup be for DD'ing? I know it can be loud enough to make kids poo a little, but aren't those spiral flow's quiet except under WOT?
How hard will this install be for me and a buddy to do in a driveway? how long? 4-6 hours? (hopefully, I can use a local bodyshop on a weekend)
What do you all recommend as far as putting it together goes? Bandclamps for the collectors, and weld the rest?
How does the jegs x pipe kit fit? Will it need much modifying? (pn 30662)

Sorry about the questions, I just need to be 100% confident/informed about what i'll be doing.
Thanks in advance!
Couple things.

-First, you don't need the extensions. Look up how to repin the PCM to use the rears instead of the fronts. It's called finally don't have to use corvette extensions or something. Really easy to do.

-Second, is your car stock height or lowered? That's a large factor. Are you planning on running a dumped set up or over the axle? What size exhaust do you plan on? Keep the 3" all the way back or go down to 2.5" after the X pipe.

Need a little bit more information for people to give you better help.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
Couple things.

-First, you don't need the extensions. Look up how to repin the PCM to use the rears instead of the fronts. It's called finally don't have to use corvette extensions or something. Really easy to do.

-Second, is your car stock height or lowered? That's a large factor. Are you planning on running a dumped set up or over the axle? What size exhaust do you plan on? Keep the 3" all the way back or go down to 2.5" after the X pipe.

Car is at stock height, and I plan to keep it that way for a while. Plans as of now is dumps. 3" all the way.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThatOneKid
Car is at stock height, and I plan to keep it that way for a while. Plans as of now is dumps. 3" all the way.
Then you should have plenty of room. I have a 3" duals dumped set up too. It's loud yea but it's not obnoxiously loud, in my opinion anyways. Mine is all welded together except for bandclamps on the collectors, I have pacesetters too actually.

As far as doing it in your driveway, I could see that being a huge pain in the ***. Would be much easier if you could get it up on a lift. Not sure on the X-pipe but I would assume it would work.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Then you should have plenty of room. I have a 3" duals dumped set up too. It's loud yea but it's not obnoxiously loud, in my opinion anyways. Mine is all welded together except for bandclamps on the collectors, I have pacesetters too actually.

As far as doing it in your driveway, I could see that being a huge pain in the ***. Would be much easier if you could get it up on a lift. Not sure on the X-pipe but I would assume it would work.
Awesome. Hopefully a family friend will let me use his shop on a Saturday or something.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Couple things.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...o2s.html:chug:
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't know how much cheaper building your own kit is but TSP true duals are now stainless and are ~$460.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

Hmm this rear o2 mod intrigues me...you guys dont think it would cause A/F ratio problems with the sensors being farther down stream? Ive never heard of this mod until now.

On my true dual setup I am running extensions with O2 sims for the rear O2 sensors. My bullet mufflers are super loud and drone pretty bad...make sure you get actual mufflers (like magnaflow) or maybe the sweet thunders at the most if you want bullet style mufflers.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are wanting 3", just buy TSP or phab from eBay ( 1/2 the price of TSP and is also stainless)

I am building a 2.5" dumped for now,but will later turn that into over axle. Using all mandrel bends from summit.

Mine will all be welded from the collecters back.

So about $147 for the bends(even cost to make X) $88 for the bullet I already have one from my magnamouth).. couple hours on the lift and good to go.

I viewed many topics on here and slot of members put it together with jackstands, just want to make sure everything is tucked up his you want it before you drop it down
Old 02-01-2014, 07:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFirehawk86
Hmm this rear o2 mod intrigues me...you guys dont think it would cause A/F ratio problems with the sensors being farther down stream? Ive never heard of this mod until now. On my true dual setup I am running extensions with O2 sims for the rear O2 sensors. My bullet mufflers are super loud and drone pretty bad...make sure you get actual mufflers (like magnaflow) or maybe the sweet thunders at the most if you want bullet style mufflers.
I've done this in my 2001 Camaro, and now my 04 Corvette. It's flawless and works perfectly. Sell the O2 extensions.

Originally Posted by DeLaRosa25
If you are wanting 3", just buy TSP or phab from eBay ( 1/2 the price of TSP and is also stainless)

$88 for the bullet I already have one from my magnamouth).
Please support the vendor that actually MADE the system and didn't rip it off. Get the TSP system. It's great.

Also, for your bullet, use a coupon code and order it from Advance Auto. You'll save over 25 bucks that way.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with supporting other businesses.. I'm sure the vendors rake in alot of doh from this forum anyways.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I don't know how much cheaper building your own kit is but TSP true duals are now stainless and are ~$460.
Yea but if you custom make your own you can tuck it up a lot better. Granted it doesn't really matter for him being stock height but the TSP duals hung too low for me. They sounded amazing but just hung too low.

Originally Posted by MadFirehawk86
Hmm this rear o2 mod intrigues me...you guys dont think it would cause A/F ratio problems with the sensors being farther down stream? Ive never heard of this mod until now.

On my true dual setup I am running extensions with O2 sims for the rear O2 sensors. My bullet mufflers are super loud and drone pretty bad...make sure you get actual mufflers (like magnaflow) or maybe the sweet thunders at the most if you want bullet style mufflers.
Ditch the extensions. I've had no issues at all with mine. If you think about it all you are doing with repinning it is swapping the wires. So it is the same as extending the wires for the fronts. You are just swapping which sensor the computer gets the info from. So now the computer reads the front o2 sensor values from the rear o2s and vice versa. Since almost everyone deletes the rear o2s in the tune you have no use for them. Save money and just use the wiring that is already there by repining it. Takes like 10min.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Launching!

I re-pinned my o2s and have had zero issues, was worth the 10 minutes it took to do.

Doing the headers and y pipe in the garage on jack stands was a PITA, big time. Recommend doing the motor mounts while you are in there, they are impossible to get to after the headers are in.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlˇmˇиąŧřя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm doing mine over again and I am a subscriber to making it easy to take things apart if I have too. I went ahead and bought vband flanges to replace all my slip fit or 2 bolt flanges. No leaks, no gaskets and no having to chop the exhaust if you have to get to something, been there done that with the welds. I'm basically modifying the Corsa catback made for an fbody but making it easier to assemble and take out.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
They're $409 on texasspeed... But it's for the ls1's. Do you all think it'll be alright (fitment wise) for my LT1?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Link doesn't work for me
Old 02-03-2014, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

How well do those 2 in, 2 out mufflers work as a crossover?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17554/overview/

Last edited by ThatOneKid; 02-03-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Whatever route you go with the true duals, you're going to love it. Only way to go in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Yes, another TD question thread