General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brake Fluid/Trans Fluid change..weird colours/smells

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Fluid/Trans Fluid change..weird colours/smells

So, car is 6 speed 2001 WS6.

I removed all my fluid out of my T-56, it came out kind of a purple colour and stunk...any ideas? I replaced with almost 4 quarts of Quaker State ATF.

I have owned my car for 10 years and it's never had the manual fluid changed since I owned it, when I had my clutch done, the mechanic drained a bit to drop the tranny then topped up.

Today, I am doing a brake fluid change. I started to extract fluid from the resovoir before I bleed the lines, this fluid as well stinks and is a dark green kind of colour. The fluid hasn't been touched since I owned it. Let me know your thoughts guys. I am going to try out the mity-vac for the lines. I also bought some DOT 4 brake fluid.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure on the trans fluid. But every late model GM brake system I've bled, the original fluid was always a green like color. Mity-vac is a great tool, makes it so much quicker and easier.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soontobeLS1
Today, I am doing a brake fluid change. I started to extract fluid from the resovoir before I bleed the lines, this fluid as well stinks and is a dark green kind of colour. The fluid hasn't been touched since I owned it. Let me know your thoughts guys. I am going to try out the mity-vac for the lines. I also bought some DOT 4 brake fluid.
This is your first problem, Brake fluid should be changed at a minimum of a 2 year interval for proper operation. I like using the mighty vac but a Motive GM Brake Power Bleeder system would work 10 times better. Also since you have not changed the fluid before, you need to get all the dirty fluid out of the ABS module as well. it will not come out with normal brake bleeding, but for the love of (you know who) don't disconnect the lines from the ABS Module. Ideal way is use a Tech 2 and activate the ABS pump to get all the fluid out.

Tranny Fluid is Dextron III ATF from the factory(stamped right on the housing with a yellow sticker on the drivers side)which is red, so i would expect it to come out a dark purple color. What type of Quaker state did you use? Did you find any debris in the fluid when you drained it?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Nothing really noticed in the fluid...if the drain plug has a magnet it was clean
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

remember to change your clutch fluid while your at it
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Snap-On scanners have a function that cycles the ABS. If you know anyone with that scanner you could ask them. Maybe they could help you out.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the mity-vac you have is the little hand held grease gun type, i think you would be better off buying a cheap garden sprayer and using it to pressurize the master cylinder reservoir. you'll get the brake fluid to flow better and will be easier to flush the system.
I went through the green brake fluid deal on my 2006 truck, followed by master cylinder and caliper replacement, then hard line replacements because one blew.
if your car sees winters and road salt i would visually inspect the brake hard lines under the car for rust.
for what its worth i have a motive power bleeder and had the entire brake system out of my truck and had no problems bleeding the system, i did not need to do the abs module thing. I also know i've introduced air into the master on the camaro and using the power bleeder i bled the system and never had a problem with the abs module.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Did you own this car from new??

If not, the previous owner may have installed some Royal Purple Synchromax MTF instead of a Dex 3 fluid.
I personally go with a light MTF over a Dex 3 regardless of what sticker is on the T56's case, since I feel that stuff (save for maybe the Red Line D4 which supposedly meets GL4 specs) will NEVER protect enough in a very high shear environment like our gearboxes.

I've also been told that our ABS pump can be cycled by turning the ignition key on and off multiple times, but I am not positive on this??

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid/Trans Fluid change..weird colours/smells