LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 remote mount turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 remote mount turbo questions

I am going to build a remote mount turbo setup for my 94 Corvette. I plan on placing my 76mm turbo behind the rear differential... now I have a couple questions. I purchased 3/8" hard lines for the majority of the feed line, this will run down the driverside frame rail tucked under the rocker panels following the brake lines. I will attach braided stainless lines off the hard lines to the engine for the oil supply and then another braided line to the turbo using -6AN fittings. I plan on doing the same down the pass side for the oil drain all the way to dump in the filler neck located on the valve cover. Now my questions are do I need to run -10 AN fittings for the oil drain... If so what diameter hard line will I need? And where can I get the oil from the engine? I read I am supposed to get it right above the oil filter however I am baffled where to run my line. Does anyone have any pics of their set ups. Also who makes a good quality scavenge pump for the oil drain?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Turbowerx EXa pump.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, are you planning on boosting a STOCK LT1? Or do you have some forged/dished blower pistons to reduce CR? (I hope so! forged rods/ARP rod bolts installed too) It would be a shame to spend all that $$ on a turbo setup only to have to rebuild the engine a few months later.

I'm somewhat curious how those Trick Flow Gen X 195 heads with the big combustion chambers to reduce CR would work with a stock boosted shortblock durability wise; personally I wouldn't risk since it's more cost effective to stay NA within the limits of the stock bottom end ~500hp...still inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by ahritchie; 02-14-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Just curious, are you planning on boosting a STOCK LT1? Or do you have some forged/dished blower pistons to reduce CR? (I hope so! forged rods/ARP rod bolts installed too) It would be a shame to spend all that $$ on a turbo setup only to have to rebuild the engine a few months later.

I'm somewhat curious how those Trick Flow Gen X 195 heads with the big combustion chambers to reduce CR would work with a stock boosted shortblock durability wise; personally I wouldn't risk since it's more cost effective to stay NA within the limits of the stock bottom end ~500hp...still inquiring minds want to know!
Stock for now... I bought a cheap turbo and I want to hook it up just to see how I like it... If I am pleased with the whole forced induction experience then the block that I have that I have plans on building will be a serious turbo motor
Old 02-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have any pictures of where there oil supply line bolts up to the car, because I read it should be "on an LT1 you will run the feed from the ¼” NPT port above the oil filter".... Does anyone have pics of this
Old 02-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Have you ever changed your oil/filter?

If so, look above filter, should be a plug, thats your port.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the oil. Pressure sensor feed and used a 4 way block, 1for sensor,1 for feed to turbo, 1 for autometer pressure gauge, and capped the other
Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettezilla
Now my questions are do I need to run -10 AN fittings for the oil drain... If so what diameter hard line will I need?
AN fittings are sized in 1/16 inch increments and identified by the dash (-) number. Ex: -6 is 3/8, -10 is 5/8 and -16 is 1 inch ect. The corresponding tubing is sized the same way measured by OD. A 5/8 OD hard line will use -10 AN fittings.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettezilla
Does anyone have any pictures of where there oil supply line bolts up to the car, because I read it should be "on an LT1 you will run the feed from the ¼” NPT port above the oil filter".... Does anyone have pics of this
This site has everything you ever wanted to know LT1 related, and pics of it too:

http://shbox.com/1/aux_oil_port.jpg
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I used the oil. Pressure sensor feed and used a 4 way block, 1for sensor,1 for feed to turbo, 1 for autometer pressure gauge, and capped the other
Do you have any pictures of this setup and where did you get the four way block
Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill try and get a picture, not a lot of room back there. I got the block from a local speed shop, i want to say it was intended to be a fuel block and im using it for oil
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

What is the best type of T4 gasket to use stainless, copper, or other

Quick Reply: LT1 remote mount turbo questions