Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Data Acquisition

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Data Acquisition

Is there any good data acquisition systems available that plug directly into the CPU for an LS1? I found some for later models, but nothing for for 2000's.

I'm building a track only car, and I'm replacing the dash gauges with a data dash. Right now I'm looking at the Traqmate. But for engine data I have to add additional sensors. It would be nice to plug in to the factory ECU for engine and transmission information.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.race-technology.com/dash2_pro_2_31358.html

Check this out^^^^ It's everything lol.. Seriously.. It's completely street legal, blinkers, one time set odometer which is tamperproof + a tripometer, brights light, SES light built in, user set high and low warning perimeters for individual gauges, waterproof, data aq... This thing is SWEET, I think I'm getting one once I get some more important mods out of the way. I absolutely hate gauge pods and my big *** autometer tach on the dash. Plugs right in to the OBD2 connector with the right interface. The display doesn't necessarily go with the car too well unless you go with blue interior lighting, but compared to having like 9 gauges all over, I'll take this any day.. (There is the regular dash2 and then the dash2 pro which includes data aq.)

Not sure if there is anything else like this on the market that is one completely street legal unit.. If there is I would love to know!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I like that one a lot. It's my #2 choice. But the only LS powered vehicle is a LS3 Corvette. I'v been looking for something similar that will plug in to a LS1 powered vehicle. That would be nice.

Now my #1 choice is a Traqmate. As a stand alone system, I think it slightly better, and certainly cheaper to add engine data. I expect to spend about $2K. I think the only actual gauge I'll have is fuel level.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

A little confused about the lsx comment. The dash2 plugs right in to the OBD port with the right interface.

Just checked the traqdash out. I like it, but it's a bit more then I would need though with all that laptime and g meters and all that jazz. The few things that make me want to go with the Dash2 is the street legality, and the fact that you can monitor gauges (oil press, temps) on one screen along with your rpm and speed. It looks to me like you have to choose between just rpm and mph along with laptime stuff on 1 screen and then switch screens to view your gauge inputs. I know you can control the warning parameters so you really don't NEED to see them, but I would like to be able to view my most important gauges on one screen along with mph and tach. Makes a man feel warm and fuzzy inside =)
Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
A little confused about the lsx comment. The dash2 plugs right in to the OBD port with the right interface.
I like the Race Technology system better than Traqmate pretty much for all the same reasons you do. It's a little more expensive, but I think you get more. If you can plug it right into the OBD port, then the cost is about the same, with more data collection and more features.

Here's the adapter availability page: http://www.race-technology.com/interfaces_2_7533.html The only LS vehicle on the list is "Corvette LS3".

But when I read further down the page I find this, which I have never seen before:

"This universal system works with both the serial and CAN data formats, so if you're unsure of the format this is the system for you. The serial OBD system was made mandatory on all vehicle manufactured after 1996 for the American market and 2001 for the European market. It was in use until January 1st 2008. "

After that2008, all the OBD ports are CAN. Clearly superior to serial, but not what I have.

So, apparently, I can plug it into the serial OBD port, but I have to figure out how to program the interface myself. I'm not sure I'm smart enough for that. I'll have to search around, some one must be able to do this for me. With so many LS1's on race tracks, it should be readily available. I'll try contacting the US Race Technology people and see what they say.

Thanx for pointing that out for me, that's a great help.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.race-technology.com/seria...ce_8_7583.html

Looks like you don't need to program anything if I'm reading everything correctly. But $390 for an interface is quite the chunk of change... Getting an obd2 serial converter is cheap, I wonder if it is even possible if it would be cheaper to get that serial ecu interface another way. Maybe someone can chime in on this?

So about $1300 for the dash2 and interface to obd2 or $1800 for the dash2 pro w/ data aq. and interface. + You would then need the oil psi sensor and I'd also get a oil temp sensor. IIRC the dash2 can display fuel level from the stock sender.

Last edited by FormulaJoe; 02-14-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Ben doing a lot of reading today. Looking at three systems in particular: Traqmate, Racepak, and Race Technology. All very good systems, but with a mix of features. To do what I want, the cost of the three systems is quite different though.

As far as I can tell, the only important piece of engine data you can't get through the OBD is oil pressure. Since the ECU doesn't use that data, you have to dump the stock sensor and replace it with whatever matches the data logger

Racepak has a great display that includes the data logger, no need to install two boxes. The SD card plugs in right at the top of the gauge. Does have OBDII interface. Oil pressure sensors $250. No video interface at all. Programmable off and on. Cost for what I want = $2,100.

Race Technology is a pretty good system. Probably more robust than the other two. Great display, but I like the Racepak a little better. Data logger in separate box. Video logger in a third box to control 2 GoPro's. Manual off and on. OBDII interface. Oil pressure sensor $? Cost $3,000

Traqmate: Definitely not my favorite dash. No OBDII interface. 4 analog inputs, 2 video imputs, 2 digital outputs, all from second box. Cost of 4 sensors about $175. Automatic control of 2 GoPro or pencil cams. Cost for what I want, $2,200.

If Racepak had automatic video control, that would be my first choice. As it sits now, I'll use the Traqmate.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Race Chrono $700

http://www.mh-motorsports.com/rc_pro_obdkey.shtml

I been eyeballing this system for a while, but I need brakes on the car.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

I'v looked at Race Chrono before. It's a really good lap timer. A fair gauge monitor, but has no data logging and no camera interface. There's something similar to this, the Solo from AIM. A lot of people like that one, too.

I'v talked to guys who have used apps on their smart phones for lap timers, and they're pretty pleased with them, also. But the dedicated lap timers have much faster GPS interface.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've run into the same issue with my V. Since its a 2005 and pre-CAN. Very little to get out of the OBDII port anyways and what you would want doesn't transmit fast enough IIRC.
A lot of guys are using Traqmate, especially in NASA which makes it easier to compare data. Its also easier to set up & learn.
I had planned on going with Race-Technology but was advised by a pro-driver friend/coach of mine that the traqmate would be more than enough.
He said unless you are going full on Motec system, just to get a Traqdash setup, run your go pro cameras off of it and be done for 2k.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Act quick

http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=127760
Old 03-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is a tad old, but I thought I would through in my two cents worth.

If you are looking for a good DAQ system go ahead and get a MoTec system. They are huge in the racing industry. I have worked with them quite a bit and I am good friends with an on site support engineer. Their products are definitely worth it.

http://www.motec.com/c125racelogging...ngkitoverview/

It's a good starter kit and will be plenty of enough channels for our cars.

If you have any interest in it, I would advise going ahead and calling them, they will walk you through what their products are and how they work.

Quick Reply: Data Acquisition