Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump question

What would happen if I left my 160 gph low pressure pump in (for carb setup) and installed a bosch 044 or even a walbro 255 down stream from that? I need 43 psi for the fast ez efi... The low pressure pump has a relief at 12 psi and id be running a return style regulator. Would it be too much fuel and a waste? Nobody wants to buy my pump so I was wonderin on leaving it in there rather than changing my fuel line setup.so basically using a low pressure pump to feed the high pressure pump to boost its output.... we do this on a huge scale in the oilfield to make the large pumps run the most efficient they can....im looking at between 700 and 800 crank hp with a 150-175 shot.

thoughts?

I posted this in the fueling and injection with no help...
Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, should I consider a dofferent cam to run with this fast. Like something on a 110 or 108 lsa?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Go play in the EFI section, we don't like you anymore. Lol
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You can do it, but you don't need to. Just replace one pump with the other.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you already have two pumps you can build an absolute killer fuel system if you add a surge can. Have the low pressure pump feed a quart or so can with a return line from the top going back to the tank. Then have the Walbro take a suction off the surge can to feed the motor. That way no matter how low your tank gets in a hard turn you will never uncover the intake of the high pressure pump. Much more bullet proof than tank baffles.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Go play in the EFI section, we don't like you anymore. Lol
Dont kid yourself, you never liked me! Lol

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Since you already have two pumps you can build an absolute killer fuel system if you add a surge can. Have the low pressure pump feed a quart or so can with a return line from the top going back to the tank. Then have the Walbro take a suction off the surge can to feed the motor. That way no matter how low your tank gets in a hard turn you will never uncover the intake of the high pressure pump. Much more bullet proof than tank baffles.
I was thinking this too. Be easy to do since I ha e the pump. The only issues I see with it is having 2 pumps, 2 regulators, and twice the chance of failure. Ill look up sirge tanks. Should it stay close to the rear tank or get it close to the engine bay as possible?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You were going to run 2 pumps anyway and you won't need a regulator on the low pressure pump. Yes, get the surge tank as close to the motor as practical. You can even install the walbro inside the surge tank.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Will a surge tank in the engine bay pass tech. Our tech guys are strict.

Quick Reply: fuel pump question