Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DBW Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DBW Cruise Control

This is probably something that as been beat around the bush a couple of times here, but in my quick search I did not find much on the subject. So, here is my question:

Can the cruise controls for a late '80s chevy be adapted to a later model, i.e. 2008, drive by wire control system?

I have the BCM. I have the ECM. I have the harnesses. I want to keep my steering controls stock [looking], which means no 20 year newer steering wheel and not cobbled up set of controls mounted to a location that they should not be. So my thought is to determine if the control signal architecture of the earlier '88 cruise control switch configuration is adaptable to the later 2008 LS DBW architecture.

I have a qualitative description of how the LS system work, but no parametric requirements. And, I can't find much on the '80s controls architecture. So, I am hoping someone here has either done it or has information on the older CC controls signal management systems so I can figure out if the switching controls can be adapted to the later model.

I am not overly optimistic that it will work directly as the LS system will, but I may be able to put the appropriate electronics into a PC and mount it under that dash if that is what it takes. I just need to know how the '80s system works.

Thanks in advance.

Duke.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can't make it work, you could always buy the controls for the newer car, take it apart, and attempt to retrofit the new functions into an older switch. It might be really hard, but I think it could be done that way if all else fails.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Check with these guys:
http://spankysrodshop.net/index.php?...ories&Itemid=7
Old 02-21-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The GenIV cruise is hard to get to work in a swap, so like Garys 68 suggested, aftermarket cruise is probably your best bet. The newer switches use different resistances for different functions, much like the old Ford steering wheel controls/ But to answer your question, the older cruise control switches (like your '88) will have four wires, one is an ignition power, and one is for the on/off function, when the switch is turned to the "on" position, 12v is sent to the cruise module through this wire. The other two are momentary switches, set/coast and resume/accel, when either of these are pressed 12v is also sent to the cruise module. This is an easy swap on the older GenIII engines, unfortunately, yours is just a little new. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Good input. Thanks. Will give Spanky's a call on Monday to see what they suggest. I need to have my EMC reflashed and a harness rebuilt and they do that as well. Might be able to get this somewhat seamless. I am going to also work with the new switch/old switch thing. I have an '08 wheel on order with all of the appropriate controls and I also have a new column to mount it on. I am going to see what I can do to keep the old look but try to fit the new switches in somehow. It will be an interesting exercise anyway you look at it.

Thanks again. I will post up the findings as they develop in the event anyone is ever doing the same thing.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could probably make it work with your 80`s GM cruise switch and some resistors. The trick is you would have to get a 2008 cruise switch to measure the resistance changes or get the specs from GM.
80`s controls

Take the 80s cruise switch and reverse the direction the power flows through it. Hook pin M of the 80` switch up to pin 3 of X1 on the BCM. Now figure out what the resistance on the 2008 cruise is when it is switched to on. Put that value resistor between pin L of the 80`s switch and pin 17 on x1 of the BCM. Now figure out what the resistance changes are for the 2008 cruise for the set - function and res + function and hook those resistors between pins k and J of the 80s cruise and pin 17 of x1 on the BCM. Yeah you will lose the cancel function of the cruise, but when you want to turn the cruise off either move the selector switch to off or tap the brake pedal.

The 2008 controls are attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cruise-control-1-of-1.pdf (27.2 KB, 1080 views)
Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G-Body,

Thanks for sharing the cruise wiring diagram for the newer Gen IV setups. Do you happen to have one for a CTS-V from say 2006/2007. I am hoping that it is similar and that your idea of setting up the appropriate resistors would work as inputs to the E67 ECM directly instead of needing the BCM. I "think" that is also what is done on the newer Colorado's too.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn`t find the schematic for an 06 V in my stuff but I did find one for a 2007 CTS V. It looks like it could probably be made to work with some resistors and a bit of ingenuity but depending on the shape/design of the 06/07 V cruise switch it might be easier to use the whole switch.
Attached Files
cruise-control-1-of-1.pdf (54.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 04-21-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

subbed for future info.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

following for my swap.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Teching In

subbed. working on getting dbw cruise on a gen iv to work with the bcm. will update with any info i come up with.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not 100% how the original cruise switch works, but you may be able to tie it into our cruise box. Our box uses positive and negative signals. I am sure you can make the factory switch do the same thing if it does not have the correct outputs already. See the attachment to help clarify. All you would have to do is not use the the control box we supply and use the original control wires. Splice that in to the correct locations, and problem solved! Our kit plugs in to the OBD2 port and in to the pedal. Its a nice simple hookup and works with CAN BUS computers.
Attached Files
img021.pdf (523.6 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by CBM Motorsports; 04-28-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: DBW Cruise Control