General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 T/A Gas Pedal Loose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2002 T/A Gas Pedal Loose?

My gas pedal seems to be loose, or something. I have no idea when it started but I just noticed that it's a good 6 inches further toward the firewall than the brake or clutch pedals and I can pull it back up to almost level with them, but when I let go it just falls back into its lower position. I can still accelerate fairly well but it does seem to hit the carpet before it's wide open.

Is it a bad spring or some other part? I've never had to repair a pedal issue before, not even sure how that system works.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no spring on the gas pedal. The only thing that provides tension on it is the throttle cable, which receives its tension from the TB spring. As long as the TB blade is open 90 degrees (or close to it) with the pedal to the floor, you're fine.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your car a traction control car?

There is a cable adjustment on the TC cars that can take some of the slack out of the cable.

This picture a factory cable on an ITB intake, but it shows where the factory adjuster is in the red outline. there is a clip on each side and it sort of works like a ratchet to take the slack out. This can create a lot of dead pedal travel. In my case I was not getting WOT either. Noticed it while tuning we were only seeing 80% throttle position at WOT.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Is your car a traction control car?

There is a cable adjustment on the TC cars that can take some of the slack out of the cable.

This picture a factory cable on an ITB intake, but it shows where the factory adjuster is in the red outline. there is a clip on each side and it sort of works like a ratchet to take the slack out. This can create a lot of dead pedal travel. In my case I was not getting WOT either. Noticed it while tuning we were only seeing 80% throttle position at WOT.

Good luck.

Aha, yep, that's gotta be it. Mine's a TCS model and i've seen that in the engine bay. I'll take a look and see if I can't tune out some of the dead pedal travel. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

The way I did it is unclip the two side locks, pull the two ends apart to tighten up the cable inside, but leave a little slack or it might crack the throttle open and make it rev to high at idle, as the blade will not totally bottom on the hard stop.

Let us know how it turns out. It is really easy, no tools needed.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
The way I did it is unclip the two side locks, pull the two ends apart to tighten up the cable inside, but leave a little slack or it might crack the throttle open and make it rev to high at idle, as the blade will not totally bottom on the hard stop.

Let us know how it turns out. It is really easy, no tools needed.
Cool, I'll post my results when I'm done.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

I was thinking about this some more. It may not lift the pedal, but may take some slop out of the pedal response.

There was something over on portion on the driver fender too. Mine is removed and stored away now and in storage, somewhere. I would go look at it first hand if it was still in the car.

I know the cover on the TC motor is just two clips as well. It has a spring coupling, that is what you feel when the pedal pushes back on your foot.

I personally bent my throttle pedal around a little to raise it and to move it closer to the brake for some heel and toe action. To raise the pedal I think I unclipped it from the pivot, unhooked the cable, put it in a vice and bent it to more of a 90 degree angle. There is a round bar that the pedal attaches too. Mainly did this to move it towards the brake pedal though.

See what the cable does for you first.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome post, so pull out all of the slack in the cable then back off a bit? I can't wait to try this.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I am almost embarrassed to say my friend who has mechanical hands (I am smart enough to admit I don't) had trouble lol. When he twisted the two sides of the cable it didn't ratchet just the entire cable twisted. There was a little cover piece in the center he removed to see the inside of the cable. What are we missing?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
There is no spring on the gas pedal. The only thing that provides tension on it is the throttle cable, which receives its tension from the TB spring. As long as the TB blade is open 90 degrees (or close to it) with the pedal to the floor, you're fine.
There's actually is a spring on the gas pedal, but it has nothing to do with the throttle cable, it just keeps the pedal upright.

Quick Reply: 2002 T/A Gas Pedal Loose?