Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I decide to do a 2nd cam, should I replace my factory timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default If I decide to do a 2nd cam, should I replace my factory timing chain?

Well, I might have a buyer for my cam and Im thinking of selling it and swapping it for a bigger cam. When I did the install on my current cam, I used the stock timing chain, so I figured if I go in and install another one, I might as well upgrade the timing chain as well. Do you think thats a good idea? If so, what chain sha'll I get? Lastly, would I be able to use my Manley valvetrain with my new cam? Everything was new when I installed it and I dont think theres even 10k miles on it all. Oh one last thing, what other things should I replace/upgrade if I do the swap? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me I'd just re-use the stuff you're using now unless there's some major mileage on it. Others will tell you differently. Either way, you'll most likely be fine.

FWIW, I, like most people with heads/cam, re-used the stock stuff and am having no problems.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

I agree. I replaced my timing chain with a double roller and got an ls6 oil pump. If I were to go back I would have just left them alone to avoid having to mess with spacers and o-rings and crap, it makes the install so much harder. I have to go back this weekend and take everything back apart cause i think i pinched the o-ring cause i have low oil pressure. On the other hand there's plenty of people who have done the double timing chain with no problems at all.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well the Manley springs, retainers, and pushrods I installed new with the cam less than 10k miles ago, would you consider that low mileage? Also, I wasnt sure if I could use the stock springs because I may end up with a cam that has over .600 of a lift, but not by much and I think the maximum on the Manley springs are .600. The other couple of things I was wondering about is the timing chain and oil pump. I reused them both from my cam swap and they have almost 62k miles on them. More than likely since Im going in for a 2nd time, I might as well upgrade/replace them, so what do you recommend for a oil pump and timing chain? With the miles on the stock oil pump and timing chain, do you still think I should reuse them? Thanks Colonel, Im very surprised youve been answering my questions. I appreciate it.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club NA

I havent tore apart the motor yet for the install, but how can you tell if its time to replace the chain? Im leaning towards just buying it anyways just to play it safe, so what timing chain would you recommend? Single or double roller? Lastly, when does an oil pump need to be replaced and what oil pump should I go with? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree about the chain and pump with 62K on them. That's getting up there.

"would you consider that low mileage?"

Yes, I'd call 10k low.

"Colonel, Im very surprised youve been answering my questions. I appreciate it."

I'm a glutton for punishment.

You can't tell by looking at the chain if it needs replacing. They have alot of slack even when they're new. If it's 62k miles then replace it just for the peace of mind.

This is just me, and others will disagree....but I'd replace it with a stock chain. The logic being that percentagewise, I think they've had the least failures. They're certainly well proven even in 7000+ RPM applications.

Oil pump? Sometimes they go out when the car is new. Sometimes they make it 200,000 miles. Anybody's guess. I used MTI's upgraded pump because I know them to be good and they were doing the work. There are others as well but I haven't dealt with them so you'd have to check around.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am only my second non stock cam, 21K. If I do ever replace it I will just use a GM timing chain.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well I was thinking that you were going to recommend a double roller timing chain, but I guess not. I thought most people used them even with their 1st cam swap. I figured that it would be good to do one now since Im going on a 2nd swap. Also, I dont know how many oil pumps are out there, but the ones Ive come across are ported ones. I even see LS6 ported ones. Anyhow, I just recently replaced my old style ASP pulley with the new style SFI ASP pulley about a month ago. Ive read all over that the ASP pulleys will have to be machined for it to work with a double roller. Does that apply to all double rollers, or just one in particular? Also, does that apply to all ASP pulleys, or just the old style? Would you replace it with a LS6 timing chain? Is it any different than the LS1? Lets say that they stopped making the LS1 timing chain, so you only had to choose from the aftermarket, which one would it be? Anyways, why do people opt for the double roller anyway? Just wondering because I know a lot that do and there has to be some reason behind it.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would think that the LS6 chain and the LS1 chain are the same.

For all of your other questions, I have no idea.

"Well I was thinking that you were going to recommend a double roller timing chain, but I guess not."

If I did that then I would be recommending something that I myself have never tried. I've always used the stock chain...and I've NO reason to change.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

the cool thing about getting the double timing chain is that if your getting a cam you could mees around with the timing. so if your gettign a cam is a good idea to get a double timing chain.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:03 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I machined the first two pulleys for the first two that I used the Rollmaster double roller timing chains, but after looking and taking some measurements I no longer have been doing that and have not had a problem. I like the Rollmaster chain it does take a little extra time but I still like it. the stock chains are fine I don't see or hear of that many stock chains breaking any more than any other brand. So you could do that also. As far as the oil pumps go I watched one of the MTI techs doing a little modifing of a LS6 pump and after seeing what he did I think I would do it myself, but for you Jeremy haveing see you in action would recomend a TSP pump or anyone else's for that mater they are not very far from each other. Jason used a TSP it was a nice CNC'd pump and it worked well I took it apart and looked at what they did so that is the reason for that I have not seen an others just MTI's and TSP's. Your choice.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Well the Manley springs, retainers, and pushrods I installed new with the cam less than 10k miles ago, would you consider that low mileage? Also, I wasnt sure if I could use the stock springs because I may end up with a cam that has over .600 of a lift, but not by much and I think the maximum on the Manley springs are .600. The other couple of things I was wondering about is the timing chain and oil pump. I reused them both from my cam swap and they have almost 62k miles on them. More than likely since Im going in for a 2nd time, I might as well upgrade/replace them, so what do you recommend for a oil pump and timing chain? With the miles on the stock oil pump and timing chain, do you still think I should reuse them? Thanks Colonel, Im very surprised youve been answering my questions. I appreciate it.
What I don't get any credit for trying to help you out recently
Old 05-16-2004, 01:40 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

cheap insurance. i'd do it
Old 05-16-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For my 2nd cam (TR224) I replaced the following :

- LS6 springs to Comp 918's (blue stripes)
- Stock push rods to Comp Chromoly Pushrods
- Stock pump to a LS6 ported oil pump
- Stock Timing chain to a Rollmaster double Timing chain.

I also have an ASP pulley and encountered 0 problems with fitment of a double roller.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:18 AM
9 Second Club NA

One reason I wanted to go with an aftermarket chain is so that I have the ability to adjust the timing. Secondly, Im going with a pretty big cam, so I want to be sure that the chain is going to hold up. Im sure a stock one will hold up, but I want the capability to adjust. I dunno, I have plenty of time to decide.

Inspector12: So after the 1st 2 that you did and doing a little inspecting, you realized that there was no need for machining? What do you mean that it takes a little time? Oh...and what is..."Ive seen you in action, so I would recommend...??? Are you saying Im mechanically inclined? I admit, Im not that great at wiring, that is why I left it to you on the pump, but it doesnt mean I dont know what Im doing! C'mon man, are you raggin on me too? hehe

Robzilla: Thanks for your help ask well. I was thanking Colonel specifically because he got the impression that I dont use or appreciate his help, but I do and I wanted to point it out. I was shocked that he has been answering my questions because I thought he was threw answering mine. But yes, thanks for your help too.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd recommend that you change your oil pump and timing chain. When I did my cam swap I got an OEM LS6 oil pump. I didn't really see the need for a ported one. My LS6 stocker idles at 45 psi and goes to 70-75 psi at WOT.

Since your going to be in there already, might as well change the timing chain too. I went with the JWIS chain, got it directly from the manufacturer, it cost me $95 . I didn't feel like jumping in the Rollmaster Double Roller bandwagon, and I didn't want to mess with spacers either . However, I was told by LG that most of their big *** cams (G5X2, G5X3, etc.) go out with the stock timing chain and they have yet to hear of any failures. I still opted for the JWIS though.

Play it safe with the valvesprings also. If you know you will be going over .600 lift, don't push your luck by leaving the Manley's in there, upgrade to a double spring.
Springs is the one place where you do not want to go cheap on.

Make sure that you're able to play with the timing with whatever cam you choose, since that is what you want to do. There are cams that have tight clearances straight-up, so messing with the timing would make the valves hit the pistons .
Old 05-17-2004, 02:08 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Jeremy,
I am just saying you are not the most mechanically inclined person I know. I am not saying you can't do the physical work cause you can, but that is the easy part. Knowing how things go together and being able to spot things before hand (The O-rings). So no I am not raggin you just trying to make it easier on you. The spacers and the pickup tube make putting the Rollmaster on take a little more time. I had a real hard time on Jasons the pick up tube did not want to come foward at all that is one example. And as far as messing with the timming just order the cam with the advance you want in it and install it strait up and check the P/V clearance. It could be a major F/U on your part if you are running a big cam ETC... Just like superslow said. The pulley will not cause any interference on any car it must have been an early prodution thing. Springs I would use the Crane 832's. See ya!
Old 05-18-2004, 03:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

About the o-rings, I was trying to hurry up the install, because it was getting late and I know you had to be up early in the morning for work. I totally looked past the o-rings because I wanted to get out of your hair. It would of been done a long time ago if I hadnt been bsing and getting off track. I may not be the best mechanic, but I know my share. I guess you say that I dont know how things go together because you had first hand looking at the pump and the t-stat to see where it went vs me just guessing at it. Im sure if I was to place the t-stat in the original location, Im sure I would of discovered that it belonged in the top spout. Anyhow enough of that. A ported pump is definate, but as far as the timing chain goes, I havent decided. For some reason, Im stuck on a double roller, but I dont have any logical explanation for it. However, if I was to opt for a double roller, would the Rollmaster be the way to go as far as double rollers go? I dont know if Ive asked this yet or not, but what is the reason behind ported oil pumps? Do aftermarket cams require this and if so, why?
Old 05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

No, an aftermarket cam does not require a new oil pump. People just get them because of all the stories of early oil pumps having their relief valves getting stuck open and losing oil pressure. I got the tsp ported pump, and it gave me about 60 psi at idle, where I had like 50 before i think. If I was gonna do it again i'd just get a new gm ls6 pump cause the porting's not a big deal.

Oh yeah, and I got the heat treated double roller, just cause the only place i could find the IWIS single chain, it cost more than the double IWIS . It's probably overkill, but it looks damn good and strong sitting on the front of your engine.

Last edited by P Mack; 05-18-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Teching In

My Z06 had only 28K miles when I had the cam installed. I replaced only the timing set with a double set up. I left the stock LS6 oil pump alone. I hope I made the right decision. I was told to leave it alone since it was an LS6 pump. We also replaced the stock valve springs with Patiot dual valve springs,titanium retainers,super7locks.The cam was TSP231/237