Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo build- some oily questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Twin turbo build- some oily questions

Ok guys I recently had my car on the dyno and lifted the heads and blew out the head gaskets. I just installed ls9 head gaskets and ARP studs. (car is a forged bottom end, boost cam, ported heads). Im having MULTIPLE oil problems even after the initial break in oil change.
1. leak out of back of the motor, between tranny and block
2. oil blowing out of exhaust in little amount
So I took off the intake manifold to see if it was the OPSU leaking over the bell housing and tranny. Found way too much oil in valves and intake manifold.
3. oil in valves/ intake manifold
Could it be the rear main seal for the leaking in the back of the motor? Turbo seal gone on a turbo to blow all that oil in the intake? The car runs and drives fine on the SD tune it has right now. Idk if this makes a difference, No PCV. Both valve covers venting to a catch can

Old 02-28-2014, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Sounds more like you blew the engine up, melted some pistons and now the blowby/crankcase pressure is just dumping oil out anywhere it can.

Do a compression test first.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Sounds more like you blew the engine up, melted some pistons and now the blowby/crankcase pressure is just dumping oil out anywhere it can.

Do a compression test first.
The pistons looked fine when I took the heads off. I was planning on that tomorrow. Is it necessary to do the "wet" part of the compression test?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

The top of the crown can often appear fine, but the damage down the side will only be seen when the piston is removed.

But if you're blowing oil out of pretty much every part of the crankcase....it's almost certain some pistons are screwed.

Unless you're breather setup is messed up and you're blowing boost into the crankcase which is blowing oil everywhere.

But no, I'm sure any compression test will give good enough results to confirm if pistons have been damaged given how much oil is getting spewed out.
Dont forget, throttle open during the test and disable injectors from firing.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

The top of the crown can often appear fine, but the damage down the side will only be seen when the piston is removed.

But if you're blowing oil out of pretty much every part of the crankcase....it's almost certain some pistons are screwed.

Unless you're breather setup is messed up and you're blowing boost into the crankcase which is blowing oil everywhere.

But no, I'm sure any compression test will give good enough results to confirm if pistons have been damaged given how much oil is getting spewed out.
Dont forget, throttle open during the test and disable injectors from firing.
I dont understand why the car runs fine then? Right now the both the VC's are running to a vented catch can, it wasn't like that getting dyno'ed though.
Okay thank you for the heads up. Hopefully there is a write up on here I can dig up for that. Thank you for your help
Old 02-28-2014, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Appearing to run fine and actually running fine...there can be a very fine line between them.

Is the crankcase breathing heavily ? much blowing out the cans ?

And when you say it runs fine, is this off and on boost ?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Appearing to run fine and actually running fine...there can be a very fine line between them.

Is the crankcase breathing heavily ? much blowing out the cans ?

And when you say it runs fine, is this off and on boost ?
Actually there is a lot of venting coming from the catch can. Running fine, both in boost and out.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just pulled my friends s4 apart and when we took the intercooler pipe off oil literally dumped out. We are assuming seals went on the turbos after 100k miles cause they tend to go to ****. What turbos are you running and how long have you been running them? I know the Chinese turbos tend to blow some oil. I've had them leak into the compressor and turbine before. Take one of your down pipes off and check for any sign of oil
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by T76s10
We just pulled my friends s4 apart and when we took the intercooler pipe off oil literally dumped out. We are assuming seals went on the turbos after 100k miles cause they tend to go to ****. What turbos are you running and how long have you been running them? I know the Chinese turbos tend to blow some oil. I've had them leak into the compressor and turbine before. Take one of your down pipes off and check for any sign of oil
You know it's funny you say this because before the dyno, my driver side turbo has been a little leaky. I took off the intercooler pipe one day and the whole thing was filled with oil. I think the seal is going on that one.
Garret 60mm's.
IF the seal was gone in that turbo do you think it would push THAT much oil in the intake and valves?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s25hanh
You know it's funny you say this because before the dyno, my driver side turbo has been a little leaky. I took off the intercooler pipe one day and the whole thing was filled with oil. I think the seal is going on that one.
Garret 60mm's.
IF the seal was gone in that turbo do you think it would push THAT much oil in the intake and valves?
You bet it would
Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ agreed. My friends car looked the exact same way as yours with oil in the intake. The intercoolers were filled as well
Old 03-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Launching!

With that much oil in the intake you better be careful.
OIL in cylinders=Denotation.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99tramsamc/fia
With that much oil in the intake you better be careful.
OIL in cylinders=Denotation.

Oil in the cylinders means something is already fucked, nevermind what you may also **** up lol
Old 03-01-2014, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Well I wish it was the turbo seals gone but it doesn't look like it. The charge pipe was dry and the pipe between the IC and turbo had very little oil in it. Silicone coupler off the turbo had very little in it as well.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Ran out of nice weather to do the compression test today, so tomorrow it is. At this point with the rear main seal leaking (at least I think so) and whatever else fucked up with the engine if the comp test goes bad then I'm thinking- Get a junk yard 5.3 bottom end and swap everything from my current motor to that one (heads, cam, intake, etc etc)
Old 03-01-2014, 03:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with that much oil in the intake I bet you killed a piston or two.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Launching!

JY 5.3 TTFMF. lol
Old 03-01-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any of your spark plugs have gotten fouled-out at all? Any signs or residue of oil in any of them?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

It's pissing oil out the crank seal etc because of the excessive crankcase pressure.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99tramsamc/fia
JY 5.3 TTFMF. lol
what......
Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
Are any of your spark plugs have gotten fouled-out at all? Any signs or residue of oil in any of them?
Actually they looked fine
It's pissing oil out the crank seal etc because of the excessive crankcase pressure.
Thats what I dont understand, would a messed up piston cause that? Nothing is boosting the crankcase right now.

Do you think it could be a bad valve steam seat?

Quick Reply: Twin turbo build- some oily questions