Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

new boyds from DTD - small issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new boyds from DTD - small issue

I just recieved my new Smoothies on Yokohoma AVS ES100 tires. Love them.
Got the 17 x 8 up front and 17 x 10 out back. Looks awesome. The only thing I noticed after riding on them was a slight vibration of the steering wheel at 50-60mph. 0-50 smooth, hit 50 get a small vibration up through 60 then approacing 65 -70 it goes away again. It is not a violent shake but is definitely noticeable. I had the car aligned after I drove it and noticed this, but it is still giving off a slight vibration at 50-60. DTD told me to take it to a local Goodyear garage and have them re-check the balance. I paid for the ride match balance as recommended by my salesperson.
Do weights ever fall off in shipping? Anyone else ever experience anything like this?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-13-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

try searching the other camaro forum site,
there is a huge thread about Boyd wheels and vibration.
And i wanted to get those wheels , not now.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll guess its our fault. From time to the balancers (which balance at least 200 wheels per day at each warehouse) can go out of spec and need recalibration. If thats the case...its our deal. Hit up a local store and send us the bill. Im 99% sure it will go away. Sorry for the inconvienence. For those of you on the fence about these wheels...dont worry. We stand behind our products. You all know that. If theres a problem we'll fix it...or we'll replace it. No worries.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Default bc smoothies

Thanks Todd. I actually tried to get in touch with you when I first purchaed my rims but I think you were out of town. I ended up ordering them with Shawn(ext423) and he was very helpful. He looked up a Goodyear shop here in Pittsburgh for me to take it too and have it checked. It is going in at 2pm today. I will let you know the outcome.
Thanks
Brandon
Old 05-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Teching In

I have the vibe problem too and I also bought the ride match balancing. The funny thing is 3 of my wheels shipped from one warehouse and the forth shipped from another. Is it possible for the set to be ride matched?

Last edited by 95CAMz28; 05-13-2004 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-13-2004, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Default balanced

Hey Todd,
Just got back from Goodyear. One front wheel was .5 oz off and same with one rear wheel. The ride is now perfect from 0 to 120. At least thats as fast as I got it right after leaving the tire shop.
What is my next step to getting reimbursed? It was a $68 bill. Seems like a bit much to me but that is where Shawn from DTD told me to go. Also do I now get reimbursed for what you guys charged me to balance the wheel since I paid for that and it was incorrect? Also paid for ride match do I get reimbursed for that? Please let me know who I should send my reciept too.
Thanks in advance
Brandon
Old 05-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Fiery Features Director

So, the ride match fixed your problem? I don't think they ever suggested that! I went to Discount and spent 3 hours trying to get my wheels fixed (which didn't work). Discount Tire was extremely nice about it and offered up everything they could do. However, my wheels & steering wheel still vibrate. Discount said that my wheels required 3 oz, which I thought was an awful lot. I agreed to whatever they had to do... but they still aren't right. Discount suggested new tires.. but I really don't think that is the problem because the vibration has lasted through 2 brand new sets of tires. Boyd turned me away and denied that there was anything wrong with their wheels.... so they were absolutely no help at all.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Default balanced

No Zangel the Ride match did not correct my problem. The wheels and tires came to me ride matched but I had a vibration. Called DTD they told me to take it and have the wheels rebalanced. I did that at a shop here in Pittsburgh that they recommended and everything is fine now. One front wheel was .5 oz off and one rear was .5 oz off. Rides like a dream now. Have you had yours rebalanced?
-brandon
Old 05-13-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

95 cam...the wheel is matched to the tire. So yes, all of your wheels were ride matched.

Onyx..glad it was worked out. Call our customer care dept and they will give you the appropriate name & fax number to send it to and youll be reimbursed immediately. Im not sure about the rest...talk with them about that.

Zangel...did the local Discount store you went to ever dismount the tire? In ride match first you put the wheel on the balancer by itself. Double check for runout, and find the heavy and light spots of the wheel. Then put the tire on and check for its new heavy spot. Match the lightest part of one with the heaviest part of the other, and match them up. Then apply road force and balance. This is the best way to decrease the amount of weight necessary. Some people also want the weights hidden behind spokes as much as possible. There is an option on our machine to do that...but that isnt the ideal way.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Default Todd,

I have been dealing with this issue since I got my Shysters a year ago. I got them from DT in Orlando. I would have the car in the Chevy dealer and they would say they could not be balanced (Hunter force balancer). I would take it to DT and they would say they were balanced. I changed tires (to ones that I really did not want) and I am still living with this issue. Had other problems with that store and tried another but no resolve. Plus I live 50 miles from these stores and the time and travel has added up. Any help for any of this?
Thanks,
Rich
Old 05-13-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

call in and talk to our customer care dept...thats the best I can do. They are the best of the best solving these issues
Old 05-13-2004, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Default customer care

Hey Todd
Does Customer care have it own number or extension? I called and asked someone to transfer me to customer care and it rang and rang and then sent me back to the main menu. I called Shawn who was my original salesperson and left a message. If he doesnt get back to me I will call you direct and hopefully you can patch me through to customer care.
Thanks
brandon
Old 05-13-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dial ext 134...leave a voicemail if you miss them
Old 05-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by Todd@DiscountTireDirect
Zangel...did the local Discount store you went to ever dismount the tire? In ride match first you put the wheel on the balancer by itself. Double check for runout, and find the heavy and light spots of the wheel. Then put the tire on and check for its new heavy spot. Match the lightest part of one with the heaviest part of the other, and match them up. Then apply road force and balance. This is the best way to decrease the amount of weight necessary. Some people also want the weights hidden behind spokes as much as possible. There is an option on our machine to do that...but that isnt the ideal way.
He said that he would need to put weights on the outer lip. I asked him if he took the tires off and he said that he didn't need to. I am not exactly sure what all he did to be quite honest.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

My BC Blasters and Goodyear GS-D3s were ride matched and I still have vibration problems from 64-75 mph. Unfortunately for me, I bought these wheels through E.T. Autosports , which is now out of business.
Boyd Coddington gave me the same story they gave Zangel. I still haven't been able to swap out wheels yet to see if it is definitely the problem. But the vibration did start immediately after the BCs were bolted on.
I suppose I will wind up eating the $1200 I spent on those wheels and making bar stools out of them.