LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 TA Opti Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 TA Opti Replacement

Time to replace the opti and get the car ready for spring. Need advice. Should I use an OEM opti or an MSD opti? I can get them both for about the same price. If neither, what do you guys suggest?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If you can get them both for same price, I don't know how, but I would go with MSD. I've had mine for 8 years now, it's been through hell and back being parked outside driven in rain and snow, then parked inside with my dryer vent pouring humidity in the garage for 3 years so bad that all of my tools rusted, spinning to 6300 rpm and doesn't flinch. I did year it apart when it was new and loctite everything, but I wouldn't hesitate to use an MSD opti again.

And yes I did eventually reroute my dryer exhaust.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Default opti

Your input is appreciated. Anything else I should be looking into while I'm replacing the opti?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water Pump. They tend to pee on optis. They aren't horribly expensive and you have to take it off anyway to replace the opti.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

I have an msd on my 94 and it hasn't given me any problems yet. only thing is that I noticed is whoever had the car before me didn't install the vent for the msd opti. if I recall reading correctly the msd opti has a vent even for 93 to 94 lt1's. mine is a 94. oh well it works good lol
Old 03-13-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RogueLT1
Time to replace the opti and get the car ready for spring. Need advice. Should I use an OEM opti or an MSD opti? I can get them both for about the same price. If neither, what do you guys suggest?
Definitely locktite the rotor screws, one was barely screwed in on my MSD opti and it had a mysterious crack in the billet housing close to the driveshaft I ended up replacing it with a "Duralast gold" $159 autozone one, it did fix a very sporadic low RPM misfire and high rpm breakup the MSD one had. Having that experience with the MSD, I cannot further recommend it, I'll keep it for a spare if I ever need to have them rebuild it. Oh yea, I would recommend BRIEFLY attempting to start the car once the new opti is on with the waterpump off the car, if the car won't even attempt to start, you may just have a DUD opti if everything else checks out (First duralast I tried was a dud ), which would be a real pisser if you had to remove the WP, balancer, fan shroud, ect. AGAIN. Only reason I went with autozone...AC Delco and MSD only offer a 1 year warranty, AZ is lifetime, and they don't ask questions lol. All optis suck IMO dealing with them 17+ years, wish I had funds for a 24x conversion
Old 03-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Launching!

appreciate everyone's input. I'm leaning towards the msd, though i do like the sound of the lifetime warranty on the az one. definitely doing a waterpump, only reason mine went bad is because i had a waterpump gasket seeping on it and i didn't catch it til it was too late. and yes, from what i was seeing upon research the msd's do have a vent, even on the 94s.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Launching!

If you get the msd just loctite the screws that hold the rotor on. For the waterpump id do the barb t mod so if the waterpump craps out, it will **** out the barb and down the hose instead of the opti
Old 03-13-2014, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

i guess you dont have to install the vent on the msd then. whoever had mine didnt lol
Old 03-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Launching!

what is the barb t mod?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

You thread a hose barb into the weep hole of the water pump and route an eighth inch hose so that when the faulty water pump weeps, it is directed away from the opti. Eric L
Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Prorac1
You thread a hose barb into the weep hole of the water pump and route an eighth inch hose so that when the faulty water pump weeps, it is directed away from the opti. Eric L
Cool. I'll have to look into that one. appreciate it bud.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i did my water pump and opti a week ago. took a day. remember to put the shaft connector between the water pump shaft and the shaft on the cam. i forgot to do that(opti noob) and couldnt figure put y the car kept overheating at idle. i got a delphi unit from rockauto. did alot of research and most said go with OEM. also gonna need a real small deep socket to take the cap off and locktite the rotor bolts. i also put a bead of RTV on all the joints and dielectric grease on all the spark plug wire boots.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
i did my water pump and opti a week ago. took a day. remember to put the shaft connector between the water pump shaft and the shaft on the cam. i forgot to do that(opti noob) and couldnt figure put y the car kept overheating at idle.
I had a friend do the exact same thing. He did a waterpump himself and it kept overheating, so he asked me to take a look at it. I figured maybe he had an air pocket in it or something. I bled it, and bled it, but still couldn't get it to stay cool.................than I noticed the collar in his cup holder, and asked, "hey, ummmm, what is this?". And he said, extra parts, lol. Once he pulled it apart and put that back on, problem solved, lol. Eric L
Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prorac1
I had a friend do the exact same thing. He did a waterpump himself and it kept overheating, so he asked me to take a look at it. I figured maybe he had an air pocket in it or something. I bled it, and bled it, but still couldn't get it to stay cool.................than I noticed the collar in his cup holder, and asked, "hey, ummmm, what is this?". And he said, extra parts, lol. Once he pulled it apart and put that back on, problem solved, lol. Eric L
thats what happened to me. couldnt figure it out. looked at my old one and felt like a idiot lol
Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Launching!

that's a great tip guys. anyone got a picture of it so I know what not to have extra? also, should I be getting straight plug boots or 90 degree boots for the wires? I haven't had to do them on this car before and don't know what works better.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when u pull the pump you will see it. it will be on the pump drive gear or the cam drive gear. 90* boots for the plug side and straight for the opti side
Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Will you PM me the price you get the msd opti for?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Launching!

I was incorrect in my statement on the optis, the local parts store quoted me for a standard small block msd distributor at my discount, not an opti.

Quick Reply: 94 TA Opti Replacement