Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TNT Power Ring Nitrous kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TNT Power Ring Nitrous kit

Buddy offeredto sell me his nitrous kit which is a tnt power ring kit. I have found out tnt is no longer in business.I heard these are good kits, but I haven't been able to really find any info on tnt. Any real world experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Teching In

So does anyone have any experience with this kit?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dnapier4
So does anyone have any experience with this kit?
We ran the TNT power ring for a while. It was very reliable.
I believe those systems were designed work for about 75 to 250 hp.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Back in the day there was a lot hype about their kits. They seemed to make more power than others. I wanted one back then lol
Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't the TNT Power Ring kit just a ring with two nozzles punched through it?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by dnapier4
Buddy offeredto sell me his nitrous kit which is a tnt power ring kit. I have found out tnt is no longer in business.I heard these are good kits, but I haven't been able to really find any info on tnt. Any real world experience would be greatly appreciated.
I had to finally scrap my tnt wet kit we bought in 2002... shame best kit on the market. Can't belive they went out of business. That 150 shot was rated at the wheel and underrated. Best looking kit too. I sprayed it about a 1000x without issue.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Still don't understand what makes it so good. Care to elaborate?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Still don't understand what makes it so good. Care to elaborate?
^^^Same thing I'm saying. You can punch 2 holes in your bellow and put 2 nozzles in it and its the same thing. Nothing was special about the kit. It was rated at the rear wheels compared to other kits so it made you think the kit was better than the others but all you were doing was hitting it with more jet.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
^^^Same thing I'm saying. You can punch 2 holes in your bellow and put 2 nozzles in it and its the same thing. Nothing was special about the kit. It was rated at the rear wheels compared to other kits so it made you think the kit was better than the others but all you were doing was hitting it with more jet.
Not really.....The location and spray direction can be surprisingly
critical. The TNT kit was very good looking, well made kit, couldn't
say the same for some of the competition at that time.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

So, putting 2 nozzles pointed directly at the throttle body without the ring is not the same as with the ring? . As for the kits of that era, fitment was better with the MAF kit from NX. Everything could stay in its place unlike the tnt kit in which you were trying to fit the MAF, power ring and bellow all in that little space.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

So, putting 2 nozzles pointed directly at the throttle body without the ring is not the same as with the ring? . As for the kits of that era, fitment was better with the MAF kit from NX. Everything could stay in its place unlike the tnt kit in which you were trying to fit the MAF, power ring and bellow all in that little space.
I agree 100%. Not saying there is anything wrong with the tnt kit but it aint magic.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

The results you will get will depend on the accuracy of your nozzle
installation.
Nozzle location, depth and alignment can affect the system performance.
As long as you obtain equal nitrous/fuel ratio and volume to each cylinder, you should
be fine.

Last edited by magnum-gto; 03-29-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Finding that hidden extra power is in the details many over look
Old 03-29-2014, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by magnum-gto
The results you will get will depend on the accuracy of your nozzle
installation.
Nozzle location, depth and alignment can affect the system performance.
As long as you obtain equal nitrous/fuel ratio and volume to each cylinder, you should
be fine.

Ok let me re-word this:

The TNT kit with the nozzles pointing towards the T/B with 2 1/2 inches between the blade and nozzle is no different than 2 nozzles in the bellow 2 1/2 inches from the T/B with the fixture nuts in place so the nozzles can't turn.

I've done this before on my car with out the ring. There is no difference in the nozzles and the ring is just a piece of metal.

Trust me I've been around the block too many times on this. My car was just as fast as any car with the TNT ring on it for about half of what the the TNT kit costs.

Plus we both know that any nozzle is a crude form of delivery of nitrous and fuel so you will not get good distribution or even the correct ratio of fuel and nitrous to a cylinder well. A plate does better and a DP is the best.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by streetlegalls1
Finding that hidden extra power is in the details many over look
True.

Question: Are you going to play with 2 nozzles to "find" that extra hidden power or go with a plate or DP so you will automatically have that extra hidden power "found"?
Old 03-29-2014, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

As myself,i also have been around the block,i first used nitrous in 1981 and have watched nitrous delivery change in leaps and bounds.Myself,i don't 'play' with any part of nitrous delivery.A plate type of delivery is no more a better system of dispersion than a good nozzle in correct location to a given level in a dry type manifold period.When you move the hp level north of 200,direct port needs to be considered,this is the safest way to make consistent reliable hp,not to say you can't make big power on a plate or a pair of nozzles,iv'e seen over 300hp gains on a dyno with a plate but the engine is way safer with dp.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 AM
8 Second Club

The difference between the TNT ring and punching holes into the bellows.
IMO is that the TNT ring will not be subject to as much movement
under load, as punching holes in the flexible bellows.

When we used the TNT power ring, we had it mounted solid against the throttle body, this assured that movement between the ring and throttle
was virtually nill.

Nothing special, no magic, just a clean,solid way to locate the nozzles.

Kit ratings is only good for sales and bench racing.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by streetlegalls1
As myself,i also have been around the block,i first used nitrous in 1981 and have watched nitrous delivery change in leaps and bounds.Myself,i don't 'play' with any part of nitrous delivery.A plate type of delivery is no more a better system of dispersion than a good nozzle in correct location to a given level in a dry type manifold period.When you move the hp level north of 200,direct port needs to be considered,this is the safest way to make consistent reliable hp,not to say you can't make big power on a plate or a pair of nozzles,iv'e seen over 300hp gains on a dyno with a plate but the engine is way safer with dp.
I agree with all you have said but the plate delivery vs. the nozzle. You can't tell me or convince me that a nozzle will provide good distribution like a plate with a throttle blade directly in the way. Plus a nozzle has only one exit point for each of fuel and nitrous. A plate has more depending on the manufacturer.

Thats like trying to compare a sprinkler to your thumb on the end a garden hose.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by magnum-gto
The difference between the TNT ring and punching holes into the bellows.
IMO is that the TNT ring will not be subject to as much movement
under load, as punching holes in the flexible bellows.

When we used the TNT power ring, we had it mounted solid against the throttle body, this assured that movement between the ring and throttle
was virtually nill.

Nothing special, no magic, just a clean,solid way to locate the nozzles.

Kit ratings is only good for sales and bench racing.
See that is where we differ. I had it to where my nozzles couldn't move in the bellow. As I said, Ive been around the block too many times on this. I took a Progresso Soup can and rolled a piece of thin steel around it and stuck it in the bellow then drilled the holes. Put the fixed nuts thru the bellow and the steel. Then screwed in the nozzles. You couldn't tell from the outside.

I street grudge race. I have to make it look like I fell off the back of a turnip truck yesterday. I don't worry about 1/4 mile times and breaking records. I use my knowledge instead of spending all my money. I am the guy you see at the track parked in the corner with "N/T" on my window and making half hits like I don't know what I'm doing. It's called "bait". I'm the guy on the street that beats cars that run 8.50's on the track.

I can't say that I have used nitrous since 1981, but I can tell you this, Look at my car and you will say " that looks like its been in the junkyard since 1981" When you race it, you will find out there is nothing "1981" about my car.

......and no....my name is not Michael J. Fox
Old 03-31-2014, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats like trying to compare a sprinkler to your thumb on the end a garden hose.
I like that.

Quick Reply: TNT Power Ring Nitrous kit