Where/how to learn to ride a motorcycle if you don't have one? -Houston

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Where/how to learn to ride a motorcycle if you don't have one? -Houston

I have always been interested in motorcycles.. Never got one or attempted to, mainly because I lived in the "city" didn't want to take the risk with careless drivers in heavy traffic.

Anyways, I'm moving outside beltway 8 and it looks like it's a great area to ride around.

I have never ridden a motorcycle, and I don't know anyone with a motorcycle (I wouldn't want to lay theirs down either due to my inexperience).

Is there anywhere in houston that you can rent a motorcycle? I'm planning on signing up for a "motorcycle safety foundation basic rider course" class, but it looks like they mainly focus on classroom learning than actual riding. They do let you ride around, on their bikes, but not sure if that would be enough time for me to learn/feel confident if I want to get a bike or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get more practice time?

I'm looking at riding around cruiser/harley type motorcycles.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just google Texas motorcycle license. They will supply the bike, instruction, and area. I rode for years before I actually took the class. It was a ton of fun. They will make you feel plenty confortable about riding. After you have a license then you can rent bikes at various places. Buy a cheap used bike first. Not just because you may bend it but also so you can get a real feel for what you like and don't like. I bought a new Honda VTX and wished I went a different route shortly after. They aren't worth much at all after you ride them off the lot. I took a serious hit to the wallet on that sale. Good luck out there.

Last edited by codyvette; 03-19-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
I have always been interested in motorcycles.. Never got one or attempted to, mainly because I lived in the "city" didn't want to take the risk with careless drivers in heavy traffic.

Anyways, I'm moving outside beltway 8 and it looks like it's a great area to ride around.

I have never ridden a motorcycle, and I don't know anyone with a motorcycle (I wouldn't want to lay theirs down either due to my inexperience).

Is there anywhere in houston that you can rent a motorcycle? I'm planning on signing up for a "motorcycle safety foundation basic rider course" class, but it looks like they mainly focus on classroom learning than actual riding. They do let you ride around, on their bikes, but not sure if that would be enough time for me to learn/feel confident if I want to get a bike or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get more practice time?

I'm looking at riding around cruiser/harley type motorcycles.

Thanks
The safety course I took was more riding than classroom. I had never ridden before the class. They put you on small cruiser bikes. You don't do any hi-speed stuff. Just the basics. After the course, I felt confindent enough to buy a motorcycle to learn on the street. After a few days of neighborhood and low-traffic city street driving, I was good.

This is the bike I learned on. Still have it today. 1989 Honda NT650.

Last edited by -Ross-; 03-19-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you start unless you totally suck at it you will not want to stop. Even the "slow" bikes are a lot of fun.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A piece of advise--Don't buy a heavy hog as your first bike. Get something nimble.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
A piece of advise--Don't buy a heavy hog as your first bike. Get something nimble.
Right, I found this out real quick! My Dad has one of the huge/heavy Harleys, I drove it about 5ft before I realized that - this is NOT the style of bike to learn on lol which is why I'm trying to look at other options as a means of learning.

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I just need to take a course and get my license and see from there. Hopefully it is pretty easy for me to catch on.

If I do feel confident, I plan on getting a 90's era Harley, something around $2,000 as my first bike.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Really good advice from the other guys here, also try getting a small used dirt bike. Buy it somewhat cheap and get rid of it when you are ready. 1st bike was an almost 10ft long chopper still have it but now want an enduro or super motard to commute.I say that but also want a Roadglide....I want a lot of ****. One big bit of advice is buy and wear protective gear all of the time. I can't stress that enough....oh yeah get used to smiling.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DKM DWN
Really good advice from the other guys here, also try getting a small used dirt bike. Buy it somewhat cheap and get rid of it when you are ready. 1st bike was an almost 10ft long chopper still have it but now want an enduro or super motard to commute.I say that but also want a Roadglide....I want a lot of ****. One big bit of advice is buy and wear protective gear all of the time. I can't stress that enough....oh yeah get used to smiling.
I was actually thinking about buying an old beat up dirt bike for $500 and practicing on that. I may do that now since you recommend it
Old 03-20-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome Cycles
http://www.awesomecycles.com/

One of THE best beginner bikes is the trusty Kawasaki 500. Standard bike with "enough pep" but not so much you'll pull the front tires up or slide the back tire out on accident. Same bike produced from 80s to current so parts are plentiful. Find a good enough deal you can sell it for same after you get comfortable on it, then graduate to your bike of choice.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 AM
Launching!

how about getting a motocross or enduro bike. that way you can learn 'safely' and have fun at the same time. after coming off a mx bike riding a street bike is a joke.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

I did my test at Mancuso South.The supply you with a little Honda rebel 250 to do the test on a closed course

Quick Reply: Where/how to learn to ride a motorcycle if you don't have one? -Houston