Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast is a stock ls1 w/ bolt on nitrous kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is a stock ls1 w/ bolt on nitrous kit

See thread title. I'm talking *stock* 2000 or so camaro ss with no other (or just *light*) drivetrain mods. Preferably on street tires (not drag radials) but I'll take what I can get.

Would this be a worthwhile venture for an adreniline junkie with too much $$$?

EDIT: Also please don't post vids where the car is obviously not stock I've seen plenty of videos of "stock" engines running 9's but I'm looking at a budget ~10k build. So, I figure 5k for a really good deal ls1 fbody, maybe 2k for a well setup nitrous kit w/ window switch and the works, and the rest for tuning, light suspension work, drag radials (do they fit in the trunk?), and some minor drivetrain work. Past that I'll just be stripping the interior as much as I can handle (this car would be used on the street albeit rarely and at more than legal speeds).

Last edited by Sonolin; 03-20-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You ask how fast, but you don't list what size shot lol
Old 03-19-2014, 04:01 PM

Sorry, I'm looking at the *most* shot the stock block can handle. I don't really want to blow up the car, but I'm sure that would be fun.

So, 150 shot? Or maybe 100 ?

If the stock block can handle a 200 shot, with even minor mods, that would be the way I'd want to go. But I'm unsure if that + supporting mods would put me over my budget.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd stick with a 150 for now. Even with that you have no traction whatsoever on street tires. You do realize that right lol?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'd stick with a 150 for now. Even with that you have no traction whatsoever on street tires. You do realize that right lol?
Of course

How fast do you think that would go in the 1/4? Any first hand experiences?

I guess I would pretty much need drag radials (which is fine as long as I can get them to the track somehow). Would probably rather run street tires but if it won't hook at all on the strip DR it is. On the street I don't expect this to hook until at least well into 3rd.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look into some Nitto 555R's. They are basically the longest lasting dr out there, and they will hook better than any street tire. I got close to 20k out of mine on my Mustang. If you are spinning like mad your et will suck bad, but your traps should be decent
Old 03-19-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Look into some Nitto 555R's. They are basically the longest lasting dr out there, and they will hook better than any street tire. I got close to 20k out of mine on my Mustang. If you are spinning like mad your et will suck bad, but your traps should be decent
Thanks will do. Heard lots of great things about Nittos (at least the road racing variants), that will be my first choice for a DR.

Nitto 555R's look like exactly what I'm look for actually. Streetable tire that hooks well at the strip.

Last edited by Sonolin; 03-19-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:45 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

To answer your question, 11s shouldn't be a problem w/bolt ons and a tire. Just make sure you have all of the nitrous safety stuff or.. .
Old 03-19-2014, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Manual or auto?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm kind of on the fence actually manual vs. auto, but most likely would go with a manual. Never driven a t56 and heard they are great trannys and love a manual shifter. Would probably rather the involvement over consistancy/times. At the same time, if I go full build with this car and dump more money into it an auto might be better.

So, it might just come down to which I can find a better deal on. Most likely the auto...

For a complete kit, does anybody have any recommendations? I was looking at this kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ze...t/model/camaro - but wasn't sure what else I would need. Doesn't look like this includes a window switch but I could be wrong.

Also when I do purchase the car and start the build, I'll be going with the best tuner I can find in my area. I want to make sure to do this right, but at the same time have a budget.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

In all honesty if you take a $5k F-body(likely high mileage and over 12 years old) and start putting 200hp worth of nitrous and drag radials to it, you'll likely break more than the motor. The rear end wont like it nor will the transmission. There are parts you can use to help extend the life of these parts but again...they cost money. Also, if you're not planning on doing all the labor on installing these parts your 10k will be eaten up pretty quickly. I could sell you the top of the line, most evenly distributing, horsepower making system we make but frankly I think you could get by with a single nozzle system with a window switch, heater and a purge. This will be a lot less than $2k(if you do the install yourself) and let you roll some of that money into the bolt-ons and parts you should start off with(Fuel pump,headers, lid, exhaust, tune etc. etc.)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Auto here.. 00 Trans Am

Stock 133k ls1 motor, stock rear end, stock suspension, full weight.

11.33s at 114 on 75 shot
11.19s at 119 on 125 shot

I did have big and littles. HSW dry kit.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by brandon@nitrousoutlet
In all honesty if you take a $5k F-body(likely high mileage and over 12 years old) and start putting 200hp worth of nitrous and drag radials to it, you'll likely break more than the motor. The rear end wont like it nor will the transmission. There are parts you can use to help extend the life of these parts but again...they cost money. Also, if you're not planning on doing all the labor on installing these parts your 10k will be eaten up pretty quickly. I could sell you the top of the line, most evenly distributing, horsepower making system we make but frankly I think you could get by with a single nozzle system with a window switch, heater and a purge. This will be a lot less than $2k(if you do the install yourself) and let you roll some of that money into the bolt-ons and parts you should start off with(Fuel pump,headers, lid, exhaust, tune etc. etc.)
Thank you for the honest advice.

I would be doing all installation by myself in my garage. This would be a project for sure and wouldn't be for a little while until I get more driving & mechanical experience with my current car.
Any budget ways to beef up the rear end that you advise? And would it be safe to say the auto is more durable than the manual (or vice versa)?

I thought the drivetrain in these cars were more sturdy than that. If what your saying is true it might be better to just stick with a 100 shot. Would that hold up in your opinion?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by SCott5
Auto here.. 00 Trans Am

Stock 133k ls1 motor, stock rear end, stock suspension, full weight.

11.33s at 114 on 75 shot
11.19s at 119 on 125 shot

I did have big and littles. HSW dry kit.
Nice thank you very much. How much miles on that car since those passes and how is the rear end & tranny holding up?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tranny was built by tick performance. I ended up selling it that winter and been talking to the owner as he wants to sell the car and I been trying to buy it back but he still drives it and hasn't had a problem with it.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car did have full exhaust, stall, big and littles, lid, injectors and tune
Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Or spend 10g for a car that's already upgraded with rear and Trans etc
Old 03-19-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Or spend 10g for a car that's already upgraded with rear and Trans etc
This...
The following users liked this post:
nickslt1 (08-21-2019)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonolin
Thank you for the honest advice.

I would be doing all installation by myself in my garage. This would be a project for sure and wouldn't be for a little while until I get more driving & mechanical experience with my current car.
Any budget ways to beef up the rear end that you advise? And would it be safe to say the auto is more durable than the manual (or vice versa)?

I thought the drivetrain in these cars were more sturdy than that. If what your saying is true it might be better to just stick with a 100 shot. Would that hold up in your opinion?
Well, the auto vs. manual thing is kind of difficult to say. On one hand the 6 speeds are more reliable transmissions but at the same time they are harder on the rear end. The 4l60 will let your rear end live longer but they are notorious for going out.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Here is how the story goes. You buy the F-body put a 150 shot on it. Get the largest bonner you have ever had and sell the scion.

Get a converter(if auto ofcorse), some DRs, and stab a cam and custom tune. Depending what that **** box sells for you might have money to do some more mods.

You might keep your car if you love it and don't forget about it when you feel the power and happiness of a V-8, but I doubt you will stop at a shot of nitrous.

Quick Reply: How fast is a stock ls1 w/ bolt on nitrous kit