Need Inspection help for sierra ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Inspection help for sierra ASAP

Guys, I can't get my 5.3 sierra to pass inspection, keeps passing all the test except at the end says not ready.. Tried three times, reset computer overnight, reset computer with scan device, drove over 150 -300 miles between tests with many key cycles in between and still says not ready.

Anyone in the DFW area that can help me figure out why or help it pass for a "extra fee"?

PM me if ya can help please.. Been pulled over 3 times, no tickets YET as I had three failed inspection results. Last cop said "park it, next time I see ay I'm giving you a ticket".
Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Someone might have "tuned" it and disabled the o2's instead of modifying them. Does it look like the cats were removed? A handheld tuner might be able to fix it although I've never tried.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what is saying "not ready" the rear o2's? misfires? there could be multiple not readys.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

been awhile since I've done an obd2 state but if I remember correctly you are allowed 2 not readys if your car is 96-2001, 2002 and up you are only allowed 1 not ready... which readiness codes are not setting?... I have seen the evap take FOREVER to set so you may not have any issues just need to put it through a bunch of drive cycles... it may not necessarily mean driving 100 miles in one shot but rather starting it up and letting it warm up then driving 20 miles, shut it off let it cool down and repeat... or you can always have a tuner trick the pcm to make it pass but you will be lucky to find an inspector that will do anything about it... if they try to plug it into another car and use your info the dps will find out and send a trooper looking for the inspector and possibly you... they are cracking down on that stuff and there's too much risk for inspectors for what they get paid
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I've done multiple drive cycles, Driven for a week or two between inspections. The 3 failures are... catalyst, Evap System, 02 sensor.

When I tried scanning codes etc nothing comes up. Stock ecm, no tune etc. Truck is all stock also. Just hit 100k. Tried gas cap, cleaning plugs etc. Haven't bought new 02's as I don't know which ones are not ready (front or rear or all?)

thanks, I really need to get this fixed
Old 03-22-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't know which O2s then take it to AutoZone and get them to read it for you for free. They'll tell you which ones even with their cheap reader. Just find someone local with HPtuners and pay them for the credits to turn the rears off.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if it is not throwing any codes just keep driving it. my sisters 02 v6 Camaro took a long time after replacing the cat before the "not readys" would go away. don't just go throwing parts at the truck before it is properly diagnosed because you will just be wasting your time and money. however, some routine maintenance would not hurt, i.e. plugs wires and clean the fuel injectors and im not talking about the fuel injector cleaners you can buy at vato zone. I forget the name brand it's a fuel injector cleaner that you put in a canister and you disconnect your fuel line to the fuel rails and plug the canister into the fuel rail and then plug some compressed air into the canister and run the motor on that. GL with the fix. btw if it does throw a code it will tell you which sensor it is talking about. it will say upstream bank 1 which is the drivers side sensor before the cat. bank 2 is the passenger side.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Drive it for a week quit disconnecting damm battery. If after a week it has not turned on MIL and there are no codes stored all systems are probably ok and the truck must be driven until all drive cycle tests pass before it will pass inspection.

If it turns on mil continue driving for a few days to let all codes that are going to set, set. Then it's a matter of addressing the codes and repairing on a code by code basis. Then the truck must be again driven for generally about a week to allow all of the drive cycle tests to pass before it will pass emissions.

What year is truck is it stock is it modded need some more information and if modded what has been done.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

He said it was stock...
Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Truck is stock guys, only a muffler. I went ahead and replaced the o2's as I had new ones sitting around for another ls1 project coming up. I also replaced the evap canister by the tank/spare tire area only $30 bucks.

I've not disconnected battery except the first time. I've driven my truck at least 150 - 200 miles between inspections. In fact I just failed again after the new 02's and canister. The mileage between those inspections was almost 350 miles.

No codes, no dash light, cheap scan tool doesn't find ****. I don't have hp tuners and such but this is really pissing me off on a stock truck I'm failing.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I've had a truck in my shop in the past with the same issue that turned out to be the ECU. Not saying this is the problem, but something to look at.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Have you offeed the inspector a bribe? Say, 50 bucks?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you know what a proper drive cycle is?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Check the fuse for the cig. lighter.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Sounds like it just needs to go thru a drive cycle. Follow this http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html you might have to complete a few before the not ready goes away so don't reset the computer just because it still says not ready.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

I just went through this to register one. You are allowed 1 not ready.

Drive the truck at 55 mph steady for 5 miles. This will set the Catalyst monitor and the 02 sensors to ready if there functioning properly.

You will need a scan tool to force the Evap test to run. Other then the factory tool a snap on scanner that is up to date will have this ability.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different inspection station?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I tried the slip a "inspection fee" in but he didn't bite. I also tried a different inspection station 2 days ago and logged almost 400 miles between. Same results at both stations.

I'll try the driving cycle thing and test in a few days. thx
Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevenb8
I tried the slip a "inspection fee" in but he didn't bite. I also tried a different inspection station 2 days ago and logged almost 400 miles between. Same results at both stations.

I'll try the driving cycle thing and test in a few days. thx
I would think if 2 different stations are seeing the same codes on your truck your scanner isn't working properly and your MIL lamp is burned out. This is very odd.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

I could help you with it if you were in Houston and wanted to buy the credits. If its just showing not ready and not poping up a code or check engine light you can't tell which 02 or cat it is. If you are getting a code and your resetting it every time you flash the computer to clear the code it will be not ready again until you get it to go through the proper cycle.

Quick Reply: Need Inspection help for sierra ASAP