General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what do you use to clean and protect the dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you use to clean and protect the dash

Just got a new dash and I am wanting to keep this one from cracking. I had made a mistake on my last one and I used armorall. I have been recommended these and was wanting to know what your alls input was

there is also a glue spot that looks like there was a radar detector on but he glued it on there for some reason. what do you suggest i use to get that off?

http://www.autogeek.net/303.html?gcl...FaF7QgodGmIAhg

http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-tr...m_campaign=CSE
Attached Thumbnails what do you use to clean and protect the dash-10178366_10202756954179489_250821724_n.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

try goo-gone and then get a dashmat..
Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Im going to keep an eye on this thread..... my dash is the factory dash that came w it and is in perfect condition. I didn't even know they cracked 'til I saw someone post some pics. I guess parking it in the garage is what has saved mine. I don't want this to happen in future so..... what should we do or not do to keep this from happening???
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

will goo gone harm the plastic
Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Is the glue actually glue or is it sticky to the touch like residue from double faced tape??
Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

its like super glue
Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Use alcohol on a clean cloth. After removal of glue make sure to wipe down (rinse) area w soap & water to keep it from damaging plastic. If this doesn't take it off try goo gone or fingernail polish remover. Always rinse w soap & water after though.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

thanks after i get the glu off what do you suggest i use to condition it
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I protect mine with armor all or mothers VLR, I have no cracks and approaching 100k, car is also not in a garage but I do use sun visors and dash mat when parked.

This process of maintaining is usually done once a month.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for normal maintenance cleaning just a wet rag and wipe the dust.
if yours has a lot of just and dirt that's baked on then start with lexol leather cleaner and a soft bristle brush and scrub it then use a wet rag to wipe it clean and repeatedly rinse the rag with hose or bucket of water. if the dash is really soiled then step up to a stronger cleaner but you don't want to use a stronger cleaner repeatedly because you'll dry out the material and start pulling the color out of it. this is for the vinyl/leather part of the dash. if it's colored hard plastic you're looking to clean then you can use a stronger all-purpose type cleaner more often rather than lexol.

for conditioning the leather part of the dash, i would not use 303 protectant it will leave such a shine and reflect sunlight into the windshield. what causes the dash to crack is heat and UV, so prevent that first rather than rely on some conditioner or liquid applied on the dash to do the job. if you do scrub the dash with an all purpose type cleaner you definitely want to put some type of conditioner on it so it doesn't dry out. i recommend mothers or meguiars or lexol which is always available locally for less than $10, the conditioner will be a thick usually white liquid that smells like new leather. wipe that on using a clean cotton cloth and do 2-3 applications, after that wipe off access. you don't want it to be wet to reflect light nor collect dust, you want the conditioner to soak in and will keep it soft and help prevent cracking. after you get it conditioned all you should ever need to do is use a damp cloth and wipe it down. i would recommend going with a "leather conditioner" under leather care at autogeek for the dash, not a vinyl/rubber cleaner conditioner.

for the glue spot if it's on the leather material of the dash i would try lots of conditioner or other type of oil for leather to see if you can get the glue to release over time. i can't tell by your pic where the glue is.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I use 303 Aerospace exclusively for all interior vinyl/rubber/plastic and some leather surfaces. After many years of my '02 sitting outside, often in the sun, and with no visor/shield, the dash never cracked/dried/faded.

I never had a problem with this product causing unmanagable glare, but I am also not bothered by sunlight/glare as much as some people. The product will soak in and any residue can be buffed off the surface. If you want an even more matte finish, you can use a damp rag to remove any residue that is left after the dry towel buff, the protective qualities will still remain.

This product was recommended to me many years ago by a leader in interior/dash restoration, "Just Dashes". I have stuck with it ever since, with excellent results.

Quick Reply: what do you use to clean and protect the dash