Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LTX 2.9 whipple

http://s69.photobucket.com/user/TAKI...bile%20Uploads
Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, nice to see someone finally making some progress on this type setup! Got a few questions: Have you tested it on the road yet? I assume you want to get a custom dyno tune with this setup right? HP expectations? How much boost does it make? Are you expecting any peak HP gains over the procharger or just more low/mid RPM boost? I would imagine the intercooler on the procharger helps it out quite a bit with a cooler charge for more hp on less boost
Old 04-13-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!!

So now that you've got this all together, how hard/expensive would it be to replicate now that you know what needs to be done? Do you have plans to make another and/or make the plans accessible to others?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Nice!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Teching In

That's what I'm talking about! Nice work. I'd love to see a build thread on this.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't your mother teach you to never upload videos to photobucket?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice, surprised it looks like you didn't cut much into the cowl if any.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
Looks great!!

So now that you've got this all together, how hard/expensive would it be to replicate now that you know what needs to be done? Do you have plans to make another and/or make the plans accessible to others?

This is the second f-body setup I have seen and there was a company briefly selling a kit for the b-bodies.

This is a huge undertaking and I think there is a reason you don't see a kit. When an enthusiast wants to put the time and effort into their own car it is one thing to accomplish this. It is quite another to be able to charge enough to make it worth one's while to do this for others.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Understood. As an enthusiast, I would love to build one myself but don't have the time or desire to do all the R&D that probably went into this. The design and measurements to make the different parts (the manifold/fuel rail section in particular) might be worth something to someone like me who has access to the people/tools to make this on their own if the owner did not wish to just make it public information.

Or if he wants to be the only one with this setup, that's cool too. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, been away from the internet for a few days. Kinda of a teaser to post this, but I just got it running and wanted to share.

I have yet to take it out of the shop with this blower on it, so far everything looks promising. I don't really need to dyne tune this setup, I do tuning professionally for about half my income and I can dial this setup in no problem. I have a 7.5 crank pulley and a 3.5 blower pulley on the setup right now and with an 18,000 max Blower speed. With the RPM of the engine I am only revving the blower to about 13,000 RPMS. Since this is a 1720 CFM blower (roughly 1100hp capable by CFM) at a 13,000 RPM rotor speed thats roughly 1250CFM which equates to roughly 800hp. Should be around 650-700rwhp through the drivetrain. However I have 3.1 blower pulley setting on my shelf ready to go on when Im ready.

I use to have a D1SC procharger on this car, that was a 1400CFM blower capable of 925hp. To be honest this whipple should smoke that blower everywhere. Ive had and tune many PD blower setups an Procharger/centri setups and to be honest there isn't a comparison. The tq delivery is so instant and hitting max boost at low RPMs feels so much better than centri blowers which make max boost at redline, especially for street rides. I had BELL intercoolers build me a custom intercooler to sit inside the manifold (around $500), its quite large running the length of the manifold with a -12 inlet and -12 outlet, I made the intercooler so it would not cover the intake ports and through BELLS recommendation the inlet and outlet are on opposite sides which increases cooling capacity. I run a large FMIC/radiator reservoir up front that hold a 1.5 gallons of water/coolant/amsoil coolant booster and its all ran by a cadillac ctsv pump which is nothing more than a Bosch unit (about $100 bucks) Idle temps are only about 25 degrees above ambient and from other setups I have seen, as soon as you start to move that will drop.

I don't have any plans to build another kit, may even sell this one day hahaha. I like to build things that no one else has and Ive gotten pretty decent it at it. Whipple told me it wasn't possible, so that gave me some incentive to pull it off. Been working on and off on it for about a year or so on this blower setup. I don't have any fancy tools to make this, just a tig welder, some porting tools/grindings, jigsaw cutter, etc.

I didn't have to mod the car at all, that was something I didn't want to do is hack the car up. I fitted a large intercooler in the manifold by making the intake manifold "protrude into the lifter valley, from looking at the manifold on the car it only looks about 3 inches tall, but the intercooler is 4.5 inches deep. I used a Magnacharger bypass valve (around $150), Edelbrock SBC fuel rails ($100) and I used a cheep knock off SBC single plane intake with EFI bungs that I bought for $150. It has a Very large intlet I built for the rear entry thats between 6" at the whipple entry and 4.5" at the TB with 4.5" tubing feeding the TB. IAT sensor is in the front of the manifold below the discharge right beside it is a Hobbs switch (kicks on at 4lbs, Lonnies kit) and the coolant feed line with bleeder valve right before it enters the -12AN fitting for the intercooler.

Everything has been converted to 8 Rib, I have the part numbers at my house for the pulleys, I run a Powerband SFI 8 rib 7.5 crank pulley. I run the speed inc alternator relocation kit so I just swapped those pulleys for 8 ribs I found at the part store (believe they came off a ford truck?) Alternator pulley was easy to swap to 8 rib and then found a spring loaded tensioner that is 8 rib and mocked it up. Hard to see I built the bracket with stand that bolt to the blower case and has an opening for whipple oil level (which only needs changed about 100,000 miles compared to pro chargers 6,000 mile changes.)

To get the inlet to fit on the drivers side I run center bolt SBC valve covers (remember no alternator problem on the passenger side) and on the passenger side I had to cut the valve cover down about 2.5 inches and re- weld it. The the throttle cable I run a Lokar TC and just cut it down to fit.

I don't mind to share everything , but the manifold someone would have to build which took some time to do it right, this manifold was my third attempt hahaha. Other that that, it wasn't too bad. IF anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Glad you guys like it, I will post some Hp tuners data when I get time, be gone from my shop all this week.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
I don't really need to dyne tune this setup, I do tuning professionally for about half my income and I can dial this setup in no problem.
It would still be nice to get it on a dyno just too see, not necessarily peak numbers, but what torque and power curves look like.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

I would love to see a build write up with pictures, if you don't mind
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

You do tuning, where are you located? Do you work for a shop or on your own? That Whipple setup would be a FUN street car
Old 04-19-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I should have documented the fabrication a little better, but unfortunately I didn't. I'll get some good vids and pics up soon. Been real busy with work and the car is still just sitting in my bat cave.

Flyin I'm located in NE Arkansas about 1.5 hours from Memphis. I'm an independent contractor through about 3 different shops in the area
Old 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just in case anyone is interested

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...l#post18330178
Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super sick setup! Congrats on the 2015 Stingray purchase!

Quick Reply: LTX 2.9 whipple