Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirmed: EB Pro Flo XT will fit under WS6 hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Confirmed: EB Pro Flo XT will fit under WS6 hood

I searched every inch of the internet for months trying to find out if the Edelbrock Pro Flo XT will fit under a WS6 hood, with zero finds. Closest thing I found was a guy that put one under a Z28 hood but had to shim the rear of it up, and a Holley high ram under a WS6 hood but it stuck out the hood completely.

So heres some unfinished pics. This is the LS2 model. If you dont know the throttle body area sits slightly lower, and it uses the LS2 seal instead of the LS1 gasket. Other than that its the same as the LS1/LS6 model.

The cuts I made to the hood and to cowl are rough cuts and unfinished. Going to trim it all down and paint when I'm finished. Also take note that you dont have to cut as much as the hood and I did, I just wanted to cut the rear of the hood to get more air flow, almost like a 2" cowl hood, because I didnt want a 4" or 5" cowl hood. And it does work, coolant temps stay about 15 degrees lower while moving. I'll post more pics of the finished product when I'm done

And heres a pic from the rear cowl aread that I cut out with the hood completely closed. I didnt shim the hood or K member

Last edited by Jc803; 04-27-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice work man.the front TB flange looks like its touching the bottem hood skin and not the upper. And sure your going to do some more work. Heads up the hood and engine move a lot, even motor plated a 1/4 marks in all directions after a while if they are touching.

Lid and alt. top mount? what?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

The throttle body flange isn't touching. There's enough of a gap. My Nick Williams throttle body does hit, but i didn't say anything about that lol. Just turn it upside down and do every thing else required to make it work and you should be good.

And i am running spohn solid motor mounts so I'm not worried about anything but i don't think I'd recommend anyone using rubber or poly mounts
Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Spohn solid motor mounts put the engine even higher than stock style mounts. If you were having problems with clearance you should have started by changing out the Spohns for a different type of solid mount.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

If that's true then this intake fitting a ws6 is definitely confirmed.

Spohn mounts are a must for me. Performance comes before cosmetics. I'm just about finished now. It's running just have to do some touch up's. I could have put the throttle body on upside down and everything would fit great but i really didn't feel like welding the throttle cable bracket on the driver side of the intake, or extending the harness for both sensors. I took the lazy way out and cut a small hole in the hood. The NW throttle body is polished aluminum so it doesn't really bother me
Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure I'd count Spohn solid motor mounts as a performance difference from UMI solid motor mounts aside from the fact that the Spohn mounts screw with the driveline angle and intake clearance. I would have replaced the $160 mounts instead of cutting into a $1000 hood, but it's your car though and you can do what you want.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

That thing is a beast, any idea how much taller that is compared to a truck intake?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sooo, if this fits, any chance the FAST 102 truck intake will fit?
Old 05-02-2014, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

I have no idea about truck intakes or the 102 truck intake. Sorry i can't really answer the question.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jc803
I have no idea about truck intakes or the 102 truck intake. Sorry i can't really answer the question.
I was just curious if the heights of the two intakes were roughly the same.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Not sure I'd count Spohn solid motor mounts as a performance difference from UMI solid motor mounts aside from the fact that the Spohn mounts screw with the driveline angle and intake clearance. I would have replaced the $160 mounts instead of cutting into a $1000 hood, but it's your car though and you can do what you want.
I wouldn't go "that" far.

With Spohns (which I've ran) yes it raised the motor a tiny bit. You compensate when you do your pinion angle with an adjustable torque arm (which ANYONE that's racing will have)

The only thing I DONT like about any solid motor mount that uses stock pedestals or even the lightweight Spohn pedestals is you're still sliding a bolt through it. You're still inviting "wear out" and the chance of wallowing out the bolts / mounting holes.

With the Spohn units, you get as close to a motor plate as you can, without actually going that direction.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

@Rise of the Phoenix, Here is the specs from the Edelbrock page.

"#7139 Manifold Dimensions: A-10.20", B-10.00", C-16.90", D-3.2", E-15°. #7140 Manifold Dimensions: A-9.70", B-10.00", C-16.90", D-3.1", E-15°"

#7139 is the LS1/6 intake, #7140 is the LS2 intake which I'm using. Measurment "A" is the throttle body flange height. As you can see the LS2 flange sits lower than the LS1/6 manifold. Measurement "B" is the body height. So I'm not sure what the measurments of the FAST truck manifold is but maybe you can find them and compare these.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man, that's good info there.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

@dr whigham, I agree. To me the Spohn solid motor mounts are a much better design for a few reasons. Less bolts to come loose/strip, lighter weight, and takes up very little space which is great for running the largest downpipe as possible, larger than you could with stock stands.

As far as the hood, I've seen them sell for $1k, but rare. More like $800. I dont want a huge 4" cowl hood. So whatever hood I go with, factory or aftermarket, I would have to cut the supports out, plus I like cutting the cowl area out of the hood for better airflow.

So, since either way I'm cutting the underside out, do I want to A. cut the factory hood thats already painted, and not worry about value because I never plan on selling the car or B. sell the factory hood for $800, buy a WSQ hood (my personal preference if I were to do it) for $720, but $850 including shipping, then have to deal with fitting it, then pay to have it painted (so idk, $900 now). So over all you're spending more money and still cutting the supports out.

One thing I've never understood though, everyone guilts guys for cutting ws6 hoods, but the same guys have hood pins, there goes the value right there with just hood pins, so after hood pins you might as well cut the rest of it up.

Not trying to bust your ***** Zex, just figured this post is about cutting the WS6 hood for this intake so we can have both sides chiming in
Old 05-03-2014, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

truck intake fits under stock windsheild

Quick Reply: Confirmed: EB Pro Flo XT will fit under WS6 hood