Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Wiring dual pumps and Hobbs with relocated battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring dual pumps and Hobbs with relocated battery

2000 Camaro plan on running dual racetronix 340s using a Hobbs to activate the second pump.

Question is since the battery is relocated to the back can I run my power wires for the pumps right off the cut off switch? Or is that a bad idea? That way I don't have to run them all the way up front?

What size wire do I need to run from the Hobbs switch up front to the relay at the rear?

Planning on using something like this.
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...%2D001&eq=&Tp=
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Check your PM's

Originally Posted by kylemm1002
2000 Camaro plan on running dual racetronix 340s using a Hobbs to activate the second pump.

Question is since the battery is relocated to the back can I run my power wires for the pumps right off the cut off switch? Or is that a bad idea? That way I don't have to run them all the way up front?

What size wire do I need to run from the Hobbs switch up front to the relay at the rear?

Planning on using something like this.
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...%2D001&eq=&Tp=
Kyle, check your PM's. Im doing about the same thing w/ the RT harness.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to your alternator... easy & the place of highest voltage in the car.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Trying avoid havin to run 2 10gauge wires back up front for no reason if powering them right off the rear mounted battery/switch would work fine.

What problems would happen if I did do that vs running them to the alt? I figured 3 feet of 10 gauge to the battery is better the 10 feet of 10 gauge to the alt?

What about the Hobbs switch wires?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Any luck finishing your set up? I am in the middle of the same type of build have my battery relocated to the back and going to make a trap door to access the fuel tank better/easier
Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

I havnt done it yet but I'm going to run them right off the cut off switch. It will work just fine. Going to use a dual relay harness or a ractronix set up.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

You need to splice the ecm signal wire and run two parallel relay trigger wires to the back of the car: one as the normal ecm signal to the relay, the other through the hobbs switch and alongside the normal signal.
The rest of the relay wiring to the pumps is normal for relay power.

I wanted to house my relays and fuses in a box in the trunk. I used a plastic electrical box from Lowe's and mounted it on my batter box which is in the trunk as well.

I ran my hot side power wires right off the kill switch as well.

Check out my build thread for a few pictures.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Here is how I was going to wire it. Everything on the bottom half of the page is mounted in the rear.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Here is how I was going to wire it. Everything on the bottom half of the page is mounted in the rear.
I like how you ran the ground through the hobbs switch.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The only thing I might change on here is running a wire all the way from the alternator back to the cutoff switch. It's not really a cutoff switch if the battery is always connected to the alternator. I'd just connect the alternator to the starter and ride the 0/1 back to the battery.

Everything else looks good.

EDIT: Everything else doesn't look good - you have no circuit protection on the pump +12 wires. You should put circuit breakers on them as close to the cutoff switch as possible.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by realsquash
The only thing I might change on here is running a wire all the way from the alternator back to the cutoff switch. It's not really a cutoff switch if the battery is always connected to the alternator. I'd just connect the alternator to the starter and ride the 0/1 back to the battery.

Everything else looks good.

EDIT: Everything else doesn't look good - you have no circuit protection on the pump +12 wires. You should put circuit breakers on them as close to the cutoff switch as possible.
Got it! Ya I didn't draw in the fuses for the pumps either. But if I run the alt wire to the starter it will stay hot while the car is running and keep the car running when the switch it pushed off and that won't pass tech. Gotta kill the car. Or am I missing something else? Keep the opinions coming.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I have mine done, and 'smoke tested".
I used a relay in the alt exciter wire, to kill the alt, and ran the alt power to the starter stud.

Quick Reply: Wiring dual pumps and Hobbs with relocated battery