LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

missing crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing crank sensor

Hello all. I am new here and had a question for the pros.

I purchased a 1996 z28 with the opti spark setup, turns out everything is 1996 except the engine it is a 1995.

There is a pig tail for the crank sensor but no place to plug it in.

It seems to not be the end of the world technically, but I am having trouble narrowing down why the car is running like its on 6 cylinders. How ironic that the crank sensor tells the computer if it is misfiring, since it is..

I installed new wires and plugs and opti spark set up and still no good.
Injectors are next.

Anyway the main question. skipping swapping motors and computers/harness
what is the best way to handle the crank sensor?

can I go to a salvage yard and grab the parts I need or is there a aftermarket solution? I was told I cant swap parts because I would have to swap the crank out along with the rest of the parts.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

pre 96 (93-95) LT1 had no crank sensor. Your PCM/tune would need to be for a 95 non crank sensor
Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Same crank, different hub. Get a 96 timing cover with the crank sensor,the reluctor ring, and the correct hub and you're set.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Teching In

It turns out the injectors were clogged and the fuel filter was the original one..
New Plugs and Wires
left the optispark alone
Everything works except computer codes.

Will "tuning the chip to ignore the sensor allow all the rest of the computer sensors to work?

I am getting contradictory info on the crank. Dealer says the crank is different, that there is a part on it for the Opti. Before I go on a whole day project how can I found out 100%?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xxx-zodiac
It turns out the injectors were clogged and the fuel filter was the original one..
New Plugs and Wires
left the optispark alone
Everything works except computer codes.

Will "tuning the chip to ignore the sensor allow all the rest of the computer sensors to work?

I am getting contradictory info on the crank. Dealer says the crank is different, that there is a part on it for the Opti. Before I go on a whole day project how can I found out 100%?
crank is the same. Any 1 PC rear main seal crank will fit. He is partially correct in saying there is a part on there that is different, that is the reluctor wheel. However, the reluctor wheel is not part OF the crank but a part ON the crank separate from it like the harmonic balancer is on the crank but NOT part of it and its not for the opti, its for the crank position sensor. Generally speaking all internal parts of the Gen II lt1 are interchangeable with any sbc, even the crank with a 2pc RMS adaptor.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all your help..
Ill tell you how it turns out.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kris72079
crank is the same. Any 1 PC rear main seal crank will fit. He is partially correct in saying there is a part on there that is different, that is the reluctor wheel. However, the reluctor wheel is not part the crank separate from it like the harmonic balancer is on the crank but NOT part of it and its not for the opti, its for the crank position sensor. Generally speaking all internal parts of the Gen II lt1 are interchangeable with any sbc, even the crank with a 2pc RMS adaptor.
When doing my research on putting a new crank in my 97, I came across something saying the lt1 cranks are the same. Like I said before if you put the reluctor ring in there, you will use a different, shorter hub.However there are cranks with the same casting number that are used in other applications that are balanced differently. I'm no expert and I for sure don't know it all but thought I would share my research.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chopperdave90
When doing my research on putting a new crank in my 97, I came across something saying the lt1 cranks are the same. Like I said before if you put the reluctor ring in there, you will use a different, shorter hub.However there are cranks with the same casting number that are used in other applications that are balanced differently. I'm no expert and I for sure don't know it all but thought I would share my research.
that is further assurance that the cranks are the same though. I believe the difference in balancing of the cranks is due to the f-bodies (don't quote me on it being specific to f-bodies alone) lighter weight reciprocating parts. Send it to a machinist for balancing if its a question, but I wouldn't bother, GM tolorances on a stock build aren't even close anyway, check deck heights let me know how fussy they are...
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kris72079
that is further assurance that the cranks are the same though. I believe the difference in balancing of the cranks is due to the f-bodies (don't quote me on it being specific to f-bodies alone) lighter weight reciprocating parts. Send it to a machinist for balancing if its a question, but I wouldn't bother, GM tolorances on a stock build aren't even close anyway, check deck heights let me know how fussy they are...
http://www.grail-ss.com/LT1%20Info.htm
Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Teching In

i have a 1996 lt1 buick roadmaster. I put a 1995 motor in and had the crank sensor programed out of the car. It runs fine without it. still have the pig tail there. I used PCM for less. $200. if you send him your pcm and he can tune it out for u.

Quick Reply: missing crank sensor