Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane Cams - why the lack of popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crane Cams - why the lack of popularity?

No real question other than the subject.

Why aren't Crane Cams popular here?

I see Crane changed around their way of listing cams, and pretty much only show cam-cards for information now. Too much info for a simpleton like me to figure out durations and what-not. So, I'm not sure if it's poor availability of popular durations or what...
Old 05-17-2004, 02:28 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I'm running the biggest one they had last year and it's not big, especially for the LS1/LS6 cars. But, I am very satified with the performance I gained with it.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

crane has been known in the circle track arena for years. they dominate in that area. now they are turning their attention this way.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:25 PM
FormerVendor

Crane have been building valvetrain for 51 years. Most of their notoriety is and has been in the professional racing industry. They have been supplying camshafts and other hardcore racing parts to most of the top teams in racing. Roger (Vinci) has had a great relationship (on and off the track) with them since the late fifties. This ongoing relationship has consisted of helping with the design of Crane parts as well as using these parts to power several record holding drag cars.
Since 1997 Crane Cams has worked with VHP to develop and market some of the best LS series products available. The result of this joint effort is an exclusive line of cutting edge valvetrain products available directly through Vinci Hi-Performance.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys.

Back when my friends and I were into 60's mucle cars about 8 years back, Crane was by far the most popular cam maker in the whole street/strip/cruising scene in our area. I'm just surprised that they're not more abundant in the LS1 world.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marc_w
Thanks guys.

Back when my friends and I were into 60's mucle cars about 8 years back, Crane was by far the most popular cam maker in the whole street/strip/cruising scene in our area. I'm just surprised that they're not more abundant in the LS1 world.

I have always used Crane cams in the old style sbc engines, but as to why they are not more involved in the LS1 arena, is a Good question??
Old 05-18-2004, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They are more involved than you think.Crane supplies alot of the cam companies the steel billet cam blanks.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, they may be indirectly involved, but they don't directly offer many camshaft options for the LS series engines. That is what is suprising to me. Maybe they don't feel they need to at this time!
Old 05-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

My name is Mark Campbell and I work in the R&D department at Crane Cams. I think the reason for the comment on the lack of popularity of Crane Cams in the LS1 market is that we have not done a good job of advertising what we have available for LS1s. When the LS1 first emerged, Crane developed some very mild cams that could be used without any tuning. These are all anybody sees in our catalog. A new catalog will be out in late summer. About 21/2 years ago, Crane initiated a very aggressive LS1 development program (much of it in cooperation with Vinci High Performance in Orlando) that has resulted in over 30 new cam profiles, many of which feature our new "Quick-Lift" lobe designs. These profiles work very well with most rocker arms, but when combined with our "Quick-Lift" roller rockers, we are able to achieve durations at .200" valve lift tht are equal to cams with 6-8 degrees more .050 duration specs. This allows extremely broad power bands while facilitating tuning. We have introduced a new "quiet" dual coil valve spring that eliminates the "noise" associated with "beehive" springs that activate the knock sensor and pull timing out of the engine (causing significant HP losses). These have achieved wide acceptance in the LS1 community. We developed a special valve spring compressor with Vinci High Performance to facilitate spring installations on F-bodies and all LS1 applications. Our rockers are a new "quiet" design that have had special bearings and oiling to minimize the "sewing machine noise" of roller rockers that also activates the knock sensor. We have a new line of power tuners for trucks (available now) and Corvette/F-bodies (to be released in two weeks) to provide tuning with several cams as well as stock. They also allow the use of superchargers, high-flow injectors, headers and free flowing exhausts, etc. The tuners are designed for people who want a respectable increase in performance without the hassle of custom tuning. They are not intended to take the place of professional tuners when very high performance is desired. We have a series of very aggressive "max effort" cams for the "hard-core" enthusiasts. These parts are all available NOW! The only thing we don't have is a new catalog (our website is also under construction). We are actively pursuing an all out advertising effort to let the LS1 community know of our efforts of the past 21/2 years and what we are doing now and for the future! Call Crane Cams at 386-258-6174 or visit www.cranecams.com
if you are interested in any of the new LS1 products. We are a dominate player in most forms of motorsports and we intend to be a very powerful player in the LS1 valve train and electronics market! We appreciate your ideas and comments. We read your threads and we are trying to provide products to fit your needs.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,
I'm very interested in very interested in the dual coil valve springs, and rockers described above. However, I've tried the phone # and got a recording ("lines are full/busy"), and I can't tell from the website if they're right for my upcoming H/C installation. The "quiet" design interests me very much.
1) Will they work with Stage 2 ported LS1 (2001, #241 casting) heads?
2) Will they work with a 226/226 .575 .575 114LSA cam?
3) What are the specific proper name of the products, and cost?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Mark for your response !

Man, talk about straight from the horses's mouth !

Crane Cams has a great and long standing reputation for performance valvetrain parts. Keep up the good work, it will be great to see what you guys have coming !

Happy driving,
Bad30th
Old 05-18-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool! Thanks for the info. Would definitely like to check out those dual valve springs you talked about!
Old 05-18-2004, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Deeavi
Cool! Thanks for the info. Would definitely like to check out those dual valve springs you talked about!
The springs are part # 144832-16. They have been on the market for awhile, and most sponsors carry them. These springs have proven to be very reliable! Here are the specs:

1.275" OD
seat pressure = 112 @ 1.800"
open pressure = 352
max lift = .650"
Old 05-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DD966
Mark,
I'm very interested in very interested in the dual coil valve springs, and rockers described above. However, I've tried the phone # and got a recording ("lines are full/busy"), and I can't tell from the website if they're right for my upcoming H/C installation. The "quiet" design interests me very much.
1) Will they work with Stage 2 ported LS1 (2001, #241 casting) heads?
2) Will they work with a 226/226 .575 .575 114LSA cam?
3) What are the specific proper name of the products, and cost?
The quick answer to your question is 1. yes, 2. yes. 3. email me: mcampbell@cranecams.com and I will have a tech call you on our quarter!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those dual springs, and they seem to be working great with my custom ground cam (which had its beggining at Crane I believe )
Old 05-19-2004, 01:59 AM
I can shift faster than you.

The Crane dual spring is one of the best springs out there for the LS1 at this time! Glad to hear Crane will be pushing their LS1 cams more! They do offer some excellent products.

Jason
Old 05-24-2004, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

here's crane cams street shark ws6 formula that vinci help develop with them.

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/fbodyls1.html
Old 05-25-2004, 01:31 AM
10 Second Club

I'd be happy to drive my car to Daytona to your facility if you guys can make a cam to give me another 30-40 hp on Blower car. I'll give you some good advertising.