Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

The most important lesson you will learn on track

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The most important lesson you will learn on track

Was hard to stick my arm out the window my 1st event to let that Spec Miata by....ohhhh it was hard.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

A good way to get over that feeling is to autocross and get your *** handed to you by stock miatas all day long. It's demoralizing but it helps you get used to that feeling.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So true, so true!

Similar memory from my first event, however it was a Mini Cooper S getting the point by at Road Atlanta. I also recall a Ford Focus going by me in the pouring rain.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember EVERYTHING going by me in the dry at Road America this year, driving the GXP. Bright side: My left arm got the exercise this time
Old 05-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truth right there. I got point bys my first weekend two weeks ago by a Hemi Challenger, a bunch of Mustangs, Cobalt SS, and some imports but a Mini Cooper S was killing all of us.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had to point by a Hyundai Veloster Turbo at Roebling Road. They even caught it on video. I was not expecting that.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Agreed but the felling of going past those G cars in the straits is awesome
Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Launching!

ugh! +1 on the autox miatas...and they are so cheap.

the only come back i have is "HEY...YOU! Miata guy thing...you're...boring...to...watch!!"
The following users liked this post:
ron_c (10-26-2020)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brigade24
ugh! +1 on the autox miatas...and they are so cheap.

the only come back i have is "HEY...YOU! Miata guy thing...you're...boring...to...watch!!"
Why yes they are cheap! So cheap they sound like little chicks...cheep...cheep...cheep. But now here comes your worst Miata nightmare: LS2 powered, Tremec T56 6 speed and ford Cobra R rearend. Just like the 500 pound canary this thing says "Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty" in a very deep voice. You will not be bored now but you are going to be really busy trying to keep up.
Attached Thumbnails The most important lesson you will learn on track-img_1396.jpg   The most important lesson you will learn on track-img_1571.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedrvr
Why yes they are cheap! So cheap they sound like little chicks...cheep...cheep...cheep. But now here comes your worst Miata nightmare: LS2 powered, Tremec T56 6 speed and ford Cobra R rearend. Just like the 500 pound canary this thing says "Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty" in a very deep voice. You will not be bored now but you are going to be really busy trying to keep up.

That thing ain't ****, lol.

Best thing about track days on a road course is that we get to drive our cars to best of our & its' ability. Just remember to brake in a straight line.

Best track days we ever had were when the pros showed up on open track days to practice in their race prepped cars. Talk about an eye opening experience; LS Miata what?, WOW! Those guys would show up in C5's lowered to about 1mm off the ground; not litterally, but, seemed like their asses were scraping the pavement. Track let us vote whether or not we wanted them on track with us. Of course we voted yes & then smiled every time they whizzed on by.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Best track days we ever had were when the pros showed up on open track days to practice in their race prepped cars. Talk about an eye opening experience; LS Miata what?, WOW! Those guys would show up in C5's lowered to about 1mm off the ground; not litterally, but, seemed like their asses were scraping the pavement. Track let us vote whether or not we wanted them on track with us. Of course we voted yes & then smiled every time they whizzed on by.
So, imagine the LSx miata lowered in the same fashion. I'd guess that car would be a monster on the track.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Teching In

That thing ain't ****, lol.
You are so right! But it sure will be fun, if I can keep tires on it.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The one thing that keeps me from swapping a miata is the lack of tire. Not only are you width limited, the killer is the height limit.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1981TA
So, imagine the LSx miata lowered in the same fashion. I'd guess that car would be a monster on the track.
Originally Posted by 79_T/A
The one thing that keeps me from swapping a miata is the lack of tire. Not only are you width limited, the killer is the height limit.

You guys do realize that I built & have been driving one for 12 yrs now, right? Tires are not an issue if you make room for 'em. 245 fronts/275 rears work very well; especially when they're slicks. Oh, & it's not the power limited 5.3L L33 noted in my sig.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Oh, & it's not the power limited 5.3L L33 noted in my sig.
Now, THAT got my attention. Care to share just what it might be lurking in the office? You are right about the tires. I'm still on 245's and they aren't enough.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Why would you think the 5.3 would make the car slow? I saw a Miata at Barber with a 5.3, cam, LS6 intake....made 400 to the wheels. Car was fast, it showed a Gallardo the way around for a whole session. Mind you these guys were not pussyfooting around, they were both advanced drivers.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettedrvr
Now, THAT got my attention. Care to share just what it might be lurking in the office? You are right about the tires. I'm still on 245's and they aren't enough.
It's LS powered w/ aftermarket heads/cam...etc. I just don't list it on here anymore 'cuz it's more info than guys need when we do local cruise nights, cough, cough

Any Miata can put down 500 RWHP w/ the correct suspension, tune, gearing, differential, tires, right foot talent; just not in first gear & second will take some driver input. Most vetts can't put the power down in first gear either, with the traction control off. So, I don't understand how many people think it's an issue; especially when they've never built one. Too many damn kits out now, too. Mine was built before LS kits. If I had a nickle for every time I read a post on the internet about how V8 Miata's can't put power to the ground, lol.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Why would you think the 5.3 would make the car slow? I saw a Miata at Barber with a 5.3, cam, LS6 intake....made 400 to the wheels. Car was fast, it showed a Gallardo the way around for a whole session. Mind you these guys were not pussyfooting around, they were both advanced drivers.
It's not slow; especially not slow on a road course where use of full power is limited except in the straights. Didn't mean to imply that it was. All I said was that it's power limited, 'cuz it is. Regardless, it's a great option for an LS swap in a Miata. LSX Miata's are usually studs on open track days & are great fun.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

LS-450,

Did you at one time have a site or album of your Miata/L33 racing?

A high HP light wieght car is a whole different experience on the track, so yeah, I can relate to the "power limited" statement.

I've completed my 914/LS1 (street) car about a year ago, and managed to get it out to The Streets of Willow last March in order to learn something about what the car might need while also tuning the suspension. As you mentioned, you can't put the power down except in a few selected places (though I was surprised how well it hooked up, even with an open diff; mid-engined car helped in that regard). Performance street tires did ok, but the race tire'd guys in the advanced group killed me in the corners. That's ok, as this is after all, is a street car....driving with one eye on the oil pressure gauge (no Accusump/baffles, etc) made it a tedious day for sure.

Andy1
Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I also remember my first track day in my c5. Kids in Honda's were running circles around me! 2 years later I'm racing and doing well. I looked at miatas as a cheap and fun way to go racing but at 6'3" 240lbs I just wasn't fitting. Thank God because I found something so much better. SCCA GTA class in a 2004 ASA stock car. 2800 lbs race weight, 411 rwhp ls1 power. Basically a spec class so we all have the same hp, tires are $400/set and brakes last forever. Stupid simple and easy to work on. The best part is this car was $13k turn key, ready to race! V8 big bore fun on a Honda budget. Miata what?

Quick Reply: The most important lesson you will learn on track