Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header installation complete, questions about mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header installation complete, questions about mufflers

I finished my Hooker 1 3/4" long tube header install along with my catted texas speed y-pipe. The car is really loud and raspy now. The muffler that is currently on the car is an SLP loud mouth 2. When I had the muffler off the car, I could see through it and it was completely hollow. Nothing inside at all, just smooth pipe. I am not sure if its supposed to be this way, or if a previous owner possibly gutted out the muffler. The stock manifolds/cats/y-pipe was pretty raspy. Adding the long tube headers and TSP y-pipe just took the rasp to another level.

What I was wondering is if there is a muffler out there that could quiet things down a bit without sacrificing too much flow or performance. Thank you.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people like magnaflow. Its a good choice. I like hooker catback better though.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very popular reccomendation is to replace lm2 with classic chambered powerstick or put it in line before the lm2 muffler.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Magnaflow #14419, or a Dynomax #24219 in the I-pipe.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7SEALS
I finished my Hooker 1 3/4" long tube header install along with my catted texas speed y-pipe. The car is really loud and raspy now. The muffler that is currently on the car is an SLP loud mouth 2. When I had the muffler off the car, I could see through it and it was completely hollow. Nothing inside at all, just smooth pipe. I am not sure if its supposed to be this way, or if a previous owner possibly gutted out the muffler. The stock manifolds/cats/y-pipe was pretty raspy. Adding the long tube headers and TSP y-pipe just took the rasp to another level.

What I was wondering is if there is a muffler out there that could quiet things down a bit without sacrificing too much flow or performance. Thank you.
i got the LM2 from slp, and the muffler was straight through, but was perferated and packed, not smooth pipe? lm1 is supposed to be smooth resonater?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

had the same problem with my 02 SS. long tubes, off road y-pipe and the LM. the rasp was horrible at around 2500 rpm! went with the Borla XR muffler and it sounds 100% better, with no rasp.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Magnaflow, B XR-1 or Dynomax.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keep in mind that the Borla XR-1 is a 5" dia. muffler. If you want it to tuck up as well as either of the 4" dia. mufflers(no clearance issues) I recommend you clearance the I-pipe area of the tunnel. If you decide to just mount the XR-1 lower to avoid clearancing, and your car is lowered then you will probably scrape the muffler on occasion if the car is lowered 1" or more. The same applies to the Magnaflow #12867 which is the same Dia.. Furthermore, if you currently or will be running a 3.5" dia. driveshaft you will run into clearance issues with a 5" dia. muffler in the I-pipe if the muffler is tucked up good, so in this case you will have to keep the muffler mounted down lower.
FYI, i'm running the BBK LT headers and ORY-pipe which will allow you to keep the I -pipe up high like with the factory exhaust.

Here's the magnaflow #12867 mounted off the y-pipe exit with the tunnel clearanced so the muffler could be tucked up tight. Car is lowered about 1.75" in this photo.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 05-31-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Keep in mind that the Borla XR-1 is a 5" dia. muffler. If you want it to tuck up as well as either of the 4" dia. mufflers(no clearance issues) I recommend you clearance the I-pipe area of the tunnel. If you decide to just mount the XR-1 lower to avoid clearancing, and your car is lowered then you will probably scrape the muffler on occasion if the car is lowered 1" or more. The same applies to the Magnaflow #12867 which is the same Dia.. Furthermore, if you currently or will be running a 3.5" dia. driveshaft you will run into clearance issues with a 5" dia. muffler in the I-pipe if the muffler is tucked up good, so in this case you will have to keep the muffler mounted down lower.
FYI, i'm running the BBK LT headers and ORY-pipe which will allow you to keep the I -pipe up high like with the factory exhaust.

Here's the magnaflow #12867 mounted off the y-pipe exit with the tunnel clearanced so the muffler could be tucked up tight. Car is lowered about 1.75" in this photo.
I am at stock height and plan on keeping it at stock height. Will I have clearance issues with a 5" muffler? This rasp is bad, it attracts way too much attention. What would be my absolute best choice for a muffler to eliminate as much rasp as possible? I keep seeing Borla pop up in my searches so I am leaning towards that right now.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

At stock height you shouldn't need to be concerned with scraping the muffler case(regardless if the I-pipe tunnel area is massaged for clearance ), but I'd still make a extra effort to mount muffler up close to the tunnel/body and make sure it far enough away from the drive shaft to avoid any contact at full suspension droop, and compression. Mounting a 5" dia. muffler in the I-pipe area isn't really a problem as long as take into account the reduction in clearance with the larger dia.. FYI, I'm not trying to steer/scare you away from using a 5" dia. muffler, just trying to help you avoid ever having any clearance issues.
BTW, the Borla XR-1(or Magnaflow #12867)should work very well for you.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

99Bluz28 is right. You won't have to worry about scraping one of those at stock height. But you should still try to tuck it up as far as possible in case you ever do want to lower it down the road sometime.

Quick Reply: header installation complete, questions about mufflers