Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions for those with a TRex cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions for those with a TRex cam

I am going to buy the Trex cam package from thunder in a few months and have a few questions for those who already have it. First off I will only have the mods listed in my sig, along with a set of flps running cats (for legality). Obviously I will have to get ls1edit for a tune. Is there anything else that I would need to get or upgrade when I do the cam? I am hoping for around 425 at the wheel with just the cam headers and basic bolt ons. Will this be a very strenuous combination for a street/strip car? Any input on this cam is appreciated.

Thanx
Fry
Old 05-18-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

should I think about a tr230 instead? Is the trex to outregeous?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by frey51
I am going to buy the Trex cam package from thunder in a few months and have a few questions for those who already have it. First off I will only have the mods listed in my sig, along with a set of flps running cats (for legality). Obviously I will have to get ls1edit for a tune. Is there anything else that I would need to get or upgrade when I do the cam? I am hoping for around 425 at the wheel with just the cam headers and basic bolt ons. Will this be a very strenuous combination for a street/strip car? Any input on this cam is appreciated.

Thanx
Fry
I promise that even with the cats, there is no way in hell you'll pass emissions with a cam that big. I also think you'll be hard pressed to make 425 with any cam only setup thru cats... I don't recall anyone being able to pull that off yet.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Launching!

From what I've read around this board I dont think I'd be happy with the Trex cam. It makes good dyno numbers, but the cam doesnt really wake up until your over 5500 rpm. If your looking for an all out drag racer then look for a cam that has a better power curve. Plus this one is so outragours it may be a little hard as a daily driver.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frey51

Thanx
Fry
blahahahaha legality? Your running a cam larger than pretty much anything out there for a stock cube motor and talkin legal? lol I agree with everyone on the power output with those cats as well as DD status but it depends on what you can tolerate...make sure youve got some gear though
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, running cats with a cam like that is pretty laughable. Why bother? This is an extreme cam for a stock cube motor, so if you aren't going to set the car up to match (straight pipes into true duals/big catback, 4.10-4.56 gears, HD clutch etc.) it's not really worth it. Plus with all the overlap at idle it's going to be stinky, loud and idle like a dragster. Make sure it's what you want before you do it.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ohmyneck
From what I've read around this board I dont think I'd be happy with the Trex cam. It makes good dyno numbers, but the cam doesnt really wake up until your over 5500 rpm. If your looking for an all out drag racer then look for a cam that has a better power curve. Plus this one is so outragours it may be a little hard as a daily driver.
I think you're wrong on this one. Coach, I can almost bet is about to set a new cam only record, he went 10.98 with a half-*** tune on a hot day in Texas. With gears this cam pulls from about 3400. I do recommend that in this members case he should go with a TR224, or TR230.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

where I live we dont have emissions so that dosnt come into play. But we are required to have cats, and they are **** about it. I am planning on getting the flp's so I can swap in the orp when I am at the track. And yall can say "why are you gonna run cats with a cam". blah blah blah. I have my reasons. I dont want to get a ticket when I am on the street, is that a problem?

From what I have read in the past few hours the trex is really extreme, and when compared to the tr230....the tr230 would be a better street/strip application. That is all I was asking for.

So to edit my original question, how is the tr230 for streetablity?

99WS6LS1T/A Thanks for the suggestions on the 224 and 230, I was looking at the 230 before the trex, but thought the trex might be better.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

The TR230 would be fine for what you're wanting. I have'nt had cats on my car in over a year now, w/ the plate out of my Borla. No problems to date.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I can shift faster than you.

I would agree. The TR230 would probably be a better choice for you. The 230 cam makes excellent power and still maintains good driveability. I used this cam for over 2 years and it is still one of my favorites.

Jason
Old 05-18-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, much appreciated. I think I am going for the tr230. But this will be after I get my flps in the begining of July.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

I'm with Jason! I have the Trex now, which is awesome, but the TR230 is still one of my favorite cams..

Dan
Old 05-19-2004, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

i think there are too many people on this site that think they need to have the biggest and very best cars when they dont really have the needed skills to own such a vehicle.

when you run a cam like this, you will probably not ever want to drive it on the street. its going to be a huge pain in the *** all the time when you are not wide open.. its just not worth it. why not get a slightly milder cam that is 90% as capeable at WOT, but 90% better on the street. Then be happy. I know its tempting to run out and buy the latest and greatest new trendy cam or bolt on when it comes out, but you really have to think about if its really a good idea for your ideal driving patterns. So many people i know in central texas daily drive their cars and get wild cams and stuff, then they end up hating their cars because the car is no longer streetable, sure they claim it is.. but its really not. Dealing with emissions, tuning and idle/surge problems is a constant issue. It takes the fun away. Unless you can just trailor the car to the track and not have to deal with temperments on the street, the crazy wild cams are just too much hastle imo.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Seifer, I agree with most of what you say, but having personal experience with the Trex and in an A4 at that, it's plenty streetable at any throttle position. I don't DD my car, so it's ok with me. I do agree that I would not want to DD my car with this cam, but it's sure fun when I do drive it. Again, I agree with most of what you say, just wanted to clear up a misconception about the Trex...

Dan
Old 05-19-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

I can understand some peoples opinion about the driveability, but I have to say my M6 is not at all bad to drive with the T-REX. I look forward every morning of getting up and hammering the sh*t out of my car, it's like a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 02:19 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seifer
i think there are too many people on this site that think they need to have the biggest and very best cars when they dont really have the needed skills to own such a vehicle.

when you run a cam like this, you will probably not ever want to drive it on the street. its going to be a huge pain in the *** all the time when you are not wide open.. its just not worth it. why not get a slightly milder cam that is 90% as capeable at WOT, but 90% better on the street. Then be happy. I know its tempting to run out and buy the latest and greatest new trendy cam or bolt on when it comes out, but you really have to think about if its really a good idea for your ideal driving patterns. So many people i know in central texas daily drive their cars and get wild cams and stuff, then they end up hating their cars because the car is no longer streetable, sure they claim it is.. but its really not. Dealing with emissions, tuning and idle/surge problems is a constant issue. It takes the fun away. Unless you can just trailor the car to the track and not have to deal with temperments on the street, the crazy wild cams are just too much hastle imo.
I love all the people on this site and their "opinions" ... it amuses me everytime I read through this section. They see a cam with big durations, and a low LSA and they ASSume that it 1) idles bad 2) is terrible for daily driving 3) eats through gas, 4) it's power band doesnt pick up till 9 grand, etc etc etc .... Frankly, I am tired of hearing it. You guys are giving people BAD information, just because you yourselves believe something that is untrue. If you have never had this cam in your car and drove it around, you should have absolutely NO opinion on it. You cannot just make stuff up and spew it out like it is fact.

- I have had this cam for almost a month now ... running in an M6 with a virutally stock tune. (had ls1edit on it when i was running a small stealth cam and some bolt ons). The first start after the cam install the car fired right up and found a perfect idle at 900 rpms after a few seconds. It has NEVER once died on me since then.
- I drive it everyday to work/school/friends/gf etc (approximately 50-60 miles a day) ... getting in the car is by far the favorite part of my day. Most of my driving is city type driving, with a stoplight, a 2 mile long 70mph sprint, and another stoplight.
- 15-16mpg on stock tune w/ big injectors f'in it up .... it is running VERY rich. When I get it tuned I expect back up towards the 18-20 mpg range .... If you can't handle a car that only gets 17-18 mpg, you should be driving a honda.
- The powerband definately doesn't kick in until around 3500 or so RPMs, but it pulls like a raped ape until 6800+ .... (4.10 gears) I don't know what type of races you guys have where you claim that that type of power band is useless, but in every single one of my races I am at 4k or above the whole time.
- I get compliments from everyone, even ricers, on how badass the car sounds. (sound was actually one of the reasons I went with this cam) It sounds somewhat like a top fuel dragster at idle, and an F1 car on steriods at WOT ...
- The cats are useless with basically anything bigger then a 224 cam, so get rid of them either way. If you are worried about emmissions, do not get such a big cam.

Sorry if I am sounding like an a-hole, but the misinformation that flys around this section of the board is unbelievable.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I love all the people on this site and their "opinions" ... it amuses me everytime I read through this section. They see a cam with big durations, and a low LSA and they ASSume that it 1) idles bad 2) is terrible for daily driving 3) eats through gas, 4) it's power band doesnt pick up till 9 grand, etc etc etc .... Frankly, I am tired of hearing it. You guys are giving people BAD information, just because you yourselves believe something that is untrue. If you have never had this cam in your car and drove it around, you should have absolutely NO opinion on it. You cannot just make stuff up and spew it out like it is fact.

- I have had this cam for almost a month now ... running in an M6 with a virutally stock tune. (had ls1edit on it when i was running a small stealth cam and some bolt ons). The first start after the cam install the car fired right up and found a perfect idle at 900 rpms after a few seconds. It has NEVER once died on me since then.
- I drive it everyday to work/school/friends/gf etc (approximately 50-60 miles a day) ... getting in the car is by far the favorite part of my day. Most of my driving is city type driving, with a stoplight, a 2 mile long 70mph sprint, and another stoplight.
- 15-16mpg on stock tune w/ big injectors f'in it up .... it is running VERY rich. When I get it tuned I expect back up towards the 18-20 mpg range .... If you can't handle a car that only gets 17-18 mpg, you should be driving a honda.
- The powerband definately doesn't kick in until around 3500 or so RPMs, but it pulls like a raped ape until 6800+ .... (4.10 gears) I don't know what type of races you guys have where you claim that that type of power band is useless, but in every single one of my races I am at 4k or above the whole time.
- I get compliments from everyone, even ricers, on how badass the car sounds. (sound was actually one of the reasons I went with this cam) It sounds somewhat like a top fuel dragster at idle, and an F1 car on steriods at WOT ...
- The cats are useless with basically anything bigger then a 224 cam, so get rid of them either way. If you are worried about emmissions, do not get such a big cam.

Sorry if I am sounding like an a-hole, but the misinformation that flys around this section of the board is unbelievable.
BEST POST THIS WEEK.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JF WS6
I agree, running cats with a cam like that is pretty laughable. Why bother? This is an extreme cam for a stock cube motor, so if you aren't going to set the car up to match (straight pipes into true duals/big catback, 4.10-4.56 gears, HD clutch etc.) it's not really worth it. Plus with all the overlap at idle it's going to be stinky, loud and idle like a dragster. Make sure it's what you want before you do it.
Hell yeah
Old 05-20-2004, 02:57 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phantom, I didn't know you had this cam -in and running?! Nice!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i full agree with all of the above statments, mine drives great and has enough torque with 4.56 gears to light the tires from 2500 rpms. it's very drivable

Quick Reply: questions for those with a TRex cam