Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my torque converter bad or my trans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is my torque converter bad or my trans?

At first I thought my trans was going but now I'm questioning the converter.
First thing I noticed going wrong was 2-3 shift bouncing the rev so I thought it was trans. Then I noticed more slipping in lockup especially going up hills. Seemed like it wasn't as tight going up hills in lockup like before. Also it felt like the converter would come unlocked easier by giving it less throttle than before. Its a Yankss3600. Car has been tuned for a few years and these problems just popped up. Does this sound like a converter issue or trans?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the fluid look?
Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Fluid looks pretty good. No specs of anything at all. Maybe a little dark but I think its above average. Might smell a little burnt.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The lockup clutch could be slipping due to a worn clutch or a worn TCC valve in the valve body which will eventually result in a P1870 code.
However, neither should cause problems with the 2-3 shift.
I would suggest checking line pressure while driving and accelerating. You can either buy a gauge on ebay for $45, or have a trans shop do this for you.

A transmission pressure gauge is like a volt/ohm meter for electrical problems. Each is a critical diagnostic tool.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would think low line a probable cause. Possibly a failed PCS or even the screen for the PCS has become clogged. This would account for all symptoms described. But yes a gauge would tell a lot provided you know what your looking at. But is a gauged is not readily available I would drop the pan if pretty clean "some debris and gray silt is normal" I would change the PCS and Trans filter and see what happens. If you have excessive crap in there more than lets say a table spoon . Then I would say times for a trans or a rebuild plus getting converter checked out. The trouble with trans/converter failures many times its hard to truly say which caused which when it gone to far.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Well I have the converter and trans out. Fluid out of the converter looks great and so does the pan.

Maybe a dumb question but...
Is it normal to hear clunking inside the converter while shaking it?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by lsxcamaroz
Well I have the converter and trans out. Fluid out of the converter looks great and so does the pan.

Maybe a dumb question but...
Is it normal to hear clunking inside the converter while shaking it?
As Performabuilt suggested, you could just replace the PCS (Pressure control solenoid) and hope for the best. Or even pull the valve body to replace the filters snapped into the separator plate; you will need new gaskets for this and it is then already a slippery (all puns intended) slope toward a complete rebuild.

Yes, the converter may rattle because the stator is no longer held stationary by the stator shaft of the trans.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well I would say if its already out I would check everything out now.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I agree and thanks for the help both of you!

How do I go about getting it checked? Do I need to send it somewhere to be cut open or something? And once I get it checked what happens if it's damaged? Is the cost of fixing it worth it? Sorry, newb question
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well the converter you can send to yank to cut and check. The trans would have to be a trans shop however you might actually come out better and over all cheaper for a much better quality unit just to buy a new trans outright from a vendor here like "PerformaBuilt" shameless plug lol. But in all seriousness a regular trans shop is gonna charge a lot for a stock rebuild with little warranty.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 AM

I would start with the line pressure test. If it is low, you know what the problem is, -AND- if there is little crud and no metal in the oil, the converter may be OK.
Or be safe and send the converter to Yank as Performabuilt suggestet. IIRC Yank charges $150 for a rebuild and that might include the price for a minor stall speed change. Add about $35 shipping each way.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Teching In

I have looked at the fluid that was drained from the converter with the hawk eye and there is absolutely nothing in this fluid. Just a little darker than normal that's it. If the converter was bad wouldn't I see something in the fluid or can there still be a failure with nothing in the fluid? This sucks!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I would start with the line pressure test. If it is low, you know what the problem is, -AND- if there is little crud and no metal in the oil, the converter may be OK.
Or be safe and send the converter to Yank as Performabuilt suggestet. IIRC Yank charges $150 for a rebuild and that might include the price for a minor stall speed change. Add about $35 shipping each way.
I wish I was quoted that low. I don't think my converter is bad but I was curious how much it would cost to cut and clean the ss3600 I just took out before I sell it. $225 cut+clean + $112 total shipping and if it needs work $95 for internal parts Maybe Yanks mad at me for going Circle-D?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:04 PM

I'm sorry that I underestimated the cost of a cut&clean with shipping.

Quick Reply: Is my torque converter bad or my trans?