Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e wore rear planetary gear thrust washers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e wore rear planetary gear thrust washers

My 4l80e **** the bed with 5 miles and 10-15 dyno pulls, and a couple of burnouts on some stock tires. the input sprag rolled over and wore into the drum and front planetary. the rear planetary gears wore the thrust washers completely away, with no signs of heat. the truck made 935 rwhp on the dyno at like 145mph. my trans guy seems to think the dyno pulls killed the rear planetary. anybody think any different? who thinks i should put straight cut planets? i am in no way blaming the tuner, he did an awsome job with tuning.

Last edited by dmaxvaz; 06-11-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I doubt the tuner had anything to do with the failure. I've seen plenty of transmission failures caused by bad tuning but not what you're describing.
I think you have a lube failure. What style core is it? Early with both lines forward or a late with one line further back on the case? If it's the late style, do you have the proper fitting in the rear port?

To kill thrust washers in the rear planet and OD sprag all in that short amount of time, you definitely had lube problems. Either a plugged cooler, mismatched internal parts, wrong fitting (I doubt that would even cause it in that short amount of time), or some other lube flow issue.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I doubt the tuner had anything to do with the failure. I've seen plenty of transmission failures caused by bad tuning but not what you're describing.
I think you have a lube failure. What style core is it? Early with both lines forward or a late with one line further back on the case? If it's the late style, do you have the proper fitting in the rear port?

To kill thrust washers in the rear planet and OD sprag all in that short amount of time, you definitely had lube problems. Either a plugged cooler, mismatched internal parts, wrong fitting (I doubt that would even cause it in that short amount of time), or some other lube flow issue.
The trans is the later style and it has those sweet performance 6an fittings (one long one short fitting). I do have a cooler with a fan in the rear of my trailblazer, near the rear bumper, underneath with -6an lines. The cooler is 13 x 11 x 2" thick.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its also possible that the rear internal line is either plugged or missing causing the rear planets to not get the correct amount of lubricant.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Its also possible that the rear internal line is either plugged or missing causing the rear planets to not get the correct amount of lubricant.
What is the "rear internal line"?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

What is the "rear internal line"?
You mean you don't know what it is? As a builder you would think that you would know the components of the transmissions you build ,lol.

When I refer to the rear internal line I mean the only internal line in a 4l80, that is the small metal line that feeds the rear planets with fluid. Leave it out and you have issues. Hope I cleared this up for ya Jakey boy…. I know what you are trying to do with the above comment. I got it though.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
You mean you don't know what it is? As a builder you would think that you would know the components of the transmissions you build ,lol.

When I refer to the rear internal line I mean the only internal line in a 4l80, that is the small metal line that feeds the rear planets with fluid. Leave it out and you have issues. Hope I cleared this up for ya Jakey boy…. I know what you are trying to do with the above comment. I got it though.
Well let me help you,
that is called the lube pipe.

And it isn't used to feed lube to the rear planets. They are lubed from the return feed line. Different routing for different years, but the same source in any case.
In a '97 and newer core the lube pipe doesn't feed lube to the planets at all. There's not even a path for it to do so.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Well let me help you,
that is called the lube pipe.

And it isn't used to feed lube to the rear planets. They are lubed from the return feed line. Different routing for different years, but the same source in any case.
In a '97 and newer core the lube pipe doesn't feed lube to the planets at all. There's not even a path for it to do so.
What does the "lube pipe" do?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

It feeds lube oil to the case bushing, rear thrust washer (or bearing if upgraded), and the output bushing.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

It feeds lube oil to the case bushing, rear thrust washer (or bearing if upgraded), and the output bushing.
Cool, well thanks for clearing that up and the pm explaining it even further. It's all clear now.

As far as the original poster, if you need a good quality rebuild, check out the link in my sig, they build some awesome products and are super guys to deal with. Correction no link in sig… on my phone, their web address is www.northtexasconverter.com

Quick Reply: 4l80e wore rear planetary gear thrust washers