Sponsored by:

Strange occurance with '00 SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange occurance with '00 SS

Hey guys,

I've got a 2000 Camaro SS with 78k miles on both motor and trans.
I've had the car since December 2013 and its been a work in progress. The reason why is the previous owner let it sit and barely drove it for 4 years. He put maybe 11k on it(I'm the 3rd owner).

Long story short I dont know too much about transmissions to try to figure out what could be wrong. When im gunning it up a hill or in a straight in OD ill get up to 38-40mph and it hesitates/bucks, like its slipping but the weird part is the RPM stays still like it froze. Then 2-3 seconds later its back to accelerating normal. When i'm driving normal up a hill it gear changes fine but lay it down it hesitates bad in OD.

Any idea's on wtf is wrong would be greatly appreciated.

PS- I checked fluid levels while car was warmed up and its fine.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

So far that doesn't sound like a trans problem to me.
I would start by scanning for hidden codes and perhaps cleaning the MAF. If the problem is repeatable, test it with the MAF disconnected. Just to be absolutely safe, don't WOT with the MAF disconnected unless you are sure everything is working perfectly.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I really wanna believe its not my trans. I dont want to spend money fixing it.
I cleaned my MAF a few months ago when I installed my SLP Lid. The only codes that are coming up are for my 02's past the cat which I haven't replaced yet. I'll check again
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

I had a similar problem like you are decribing. I was cleaning my air filter and had taken the air lid off to do the job, I forgot to plug in the harness that goes to the air lid right behind the lid on the drivers side and I started getting these same problems but only when cold. When it warmed up I had no problem. Long story short I dont know if it was related but I ended up replacing spark plugs and 02's and clearing the codes and it solved the problem but same sypmtoms as you.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
I had a similar problem like you are decribing. I was cleaning my air filter and had taken the air lid off to do the job, I forgot to plug in the harness that goes to the air lid right behind the lid on the drivers side and I started getting these same problems but only when cold. When it warmed up I had no problem. Long story short I dont know if it was related but I ended up replacing spark plugs and 02's and clearing the codes and it solved the problem but same sypmtoms as you.
Everything is connected from when I replaced the lid. I'm gonna try to get to the bottom of it. I've wanted to replace my plugs but its weird it only does it in overdrive.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

See if it does it in 3rd gear when your cruising after the car has warmed up. 3rd and 4th gear both have lock up. See if it is a lockup issue?

If you dont know what lockup is when your cruisin in 4th gesr and you feel the car kind of relax and rpms drop under just normal throttle thats when lockup engages. It will do this in 3rd as well. Could be the solenoid malfunctioning for lockup. Lemme know what it does.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Check plug wires and plugs. I've had a plug back out and the car acted as you described. Also have had a very small split in spark plug boot result in the same performance decline.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Teching In

I really appreciate your guys help. I just went on a cruise on the freeway to get up to higher speeds. I recorded a few videos of cruising for Doc in OD cause i believe a video is worth a 1000 words

I'm gonna look at my plugs and wires tomorrow hopefully when the suns out. Ill probably get a vid of her bucking tomorrow.

Btw no slipping append in the video. I would get off the throttle so I didnt rear end the slow driver infront of me

@Doc when it does mess up my RPM needle stays still and its only when i get on it. Again its random, i haul *** and it doesnt do it but the next time it will but when it does lose acceleration/buck its around 38-40mph for a few seconds. If i drive like a sane person she shifts normal like in the vid

SES light for my rear 02's

Last edited by LuckShot; 06-17-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like fueling is off. Off the top of my head I'm thinking O2s, MAF, bad plug or plug wire, or something else fairly simple.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

I watched the video several times and even went and grabbed headphones so I could hear it alot better. Watching your rpm gauge and listening to the car, the car to me seems like it is engaging lockup right around the :14-:16second mark of the video which compared to your mph of the vehicle,around 55-60 mph, that is right on the money. All that seems to be perfect in my opinion and is right on with the 50 so or more Camaro's ive driven after doing work to them or for other reasons. Being a transmission guy for a few years in my life you notice things like that, that normal everyday people dont really pay attention to. So all that seems perfect.

I kept replaying it though I was looking to see the bucking your talking about but couldnt ever really pick up on when it was doing it or if maybe you were adjusting the camera. If you take another video of it happening, just throw something out there to let me know its doing it right then cause its hard to tell without feeling it, so just say "now" or something.

When you are referring to the rpms gauge not moving at all that was my problem too, my car bucked pretty good until it warmed up and the rpms gauge was never affected because I think it was to quick and jolting to really affect it. If i had to put my bottom dollar on it with what your telling me I would definitely say it was the same issue I had and to consider plugs first, then 02's and clear the code and just do a quick run through of the wiring harness from the intake forward to make sure everything is plugged in and seated properly and also check your spark plug wires.

But if it helps you sleep better at night I can almost guarentee its not a transmission problem.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Teching In

@Doc, ya man I said the bucking wasnt in the video. I figured you wanted to see how she cruised to make sure everything was alright. Everytime i tried to record it bucking, it never did.

Turns out I got 3 bad plug wires. Also looks like still has original double platinum plugs, so im gonna go ahead and change those too since ill be d*cking around in there.

I appreciate all your guys help.

Quick Reply: Strange occurance with '00 SS