Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runing an electric cutout any hp gains?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runing an electric cutout any hp gains?

02 TA with a flowmaster catback, dynomax bullet muffler, shorty headers, K&N CAI. If I do an electric cutout will I gain any power, loose any, or just make my car louder?

Last edited by Dezasterz; 07-25-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezasterz
02 TA with a flowmaster catback, shorty headers, K&N CAI. If I do an electric cutout will I gain any power, loose any, or just make my car louder?
Considering the Flowmaster, you will almost certainly gain some. Probably not a ton since the car is basically stock. Once you mod more, it will be worth more. Especially if you keep that catback.

Longtubes or going back to a stock airbox with an aftermarket lid and ram air ducts would be better use of the money. That K&N sucks in hot air something terrible if you're talking about the oval one that sits on top of the radiator.

Speed Engineering is a sponsor on here with a good deal on stainless headers.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Considering the Flowmaster, you will almost certainly gain some. Probably not a ton since the car is basically stock. Once you mod more, it will be worth more. Especially if you keep that catback.

Longtubes or going back to a stock
airbox with an aftermarket lid and ram air ducts would be better use of the money. That K&N sucks in hot air something terrible if you're talking about the oval one that sits on top of the radiator.

Speed Engineering is a sponsor on here with a good deal on stainless headers.
Hmmm I'm definitely keeping the catback I go to the track once a week so that cutout would be nice. I do have the oval k&n one in my car I still have the stock airbox might swap back then. I've been told from another ls1 friend about the hot air. I want long tubes but cali smog and swapping is too much to deal with. Also where would be the best place to order an electric cutout my exhaust is 3" also
Old 07-24-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My car cam only with BBK long tubes ory and a magnaflow catback gained 5hp across the entire power band.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

With my bolt ons, back to back, open vs closed, car dyno'd 4rwhp/4rwtq more peak with gains through whole powerband with the cutout open...like said before with that flowmaster catback, you might see more of a gain...and you'll appreciate the in-car sound too
Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
With my bolt ons, back to back, open vs closed, car dyno'd 4rwhp/4rwtq more peak with gains through whole powerband with the cutout open...like said before with that flowmaster catback, you might see more of a gain...and you'll appreciate the in-car sound too
That's exactly what I'm looking for and the controller over open and close is awesome. Also I'm runing a dynomax bullet muffler with the flowmaster pipes. I know this sounds stupid but do I need two cutouts and run both of them before my cats? Where did you put your cutout? I read a lot of guys put it where the y pipe merges. Is that where you guys are seeing the power gain, before the muffler? So that means after the cats and that shouldn't affect me with smog? Don't know much about cutouts so any info is a lot of help!

Last edited by Dezasterz; 07-25-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Also brought back my stock air box cleaned her up has a k&n filter in it already but I want to try and fab up something like a ssra and connect it to my k&n oval CAI maybe? Also probably gonna order a p/p throttle body
Old 07-25-2014, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Even if you do put one of CHRS1313 style scoops on I don't see anyway of actually sealing it around the filter. Even with the scoop under the filter blowing against it your still getting hot air pulled in and its not pressurized with speed. The bottom feeding lid set ups seals the intake so all the air you get is cold from under the car and is pressurized into the air box at speed, a much more effective set up. And I'm not sure what stock ported TB's go for now but if you have a dremel tool its really not that hard to port them yourself if you wanted to.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Where do you guys place the electric cutout and what kind should I get? Kind of on a budget I noticed some eBay ones but I don't know about the quality and how long they will last
Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

See thread in link below for which way I went with mine:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-warranty.html

There will be more of a gain if 2 cutouts are installed right @ the header collectors before the cats, but I've heard it's hard on the O2 sensors and it'll probably stink up the interior a little...most common place is right under the rear seat, there's a pocket in the floor of the car and it fits a cutout perfect...then just run the wiring through the nearest body plug into the interior and under the carpet to the console
Based on mine and other's experience with RRP cutouts, I would recommend that one - lifetime warranty

As far as ported TB, I say yes, worth a few rwhp and better throttle response...go for POTZ speed and performance P/P TB on ebay...only costs you $75 if you ship him your stock core

Ditch the K&N oval, put the stock airbox/lid setup back in with an aftermarket lid, and get a SSRA kit<---most likely my next mod, typically gains .1-.2 in 1/4 mile
Old 07-27-2014, 05:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response if I do end up deciding on that rrp cutout gonna definitely have to save up for a bit, I'll just run the cut out where most do when the y meets near the rear seat. Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As stated. I welded my cutouts after the header and it was a pain to retune the car. Lets just say it was so bad we just disconnected the cutouts. stay away from those O2's lol

Quick Reply: Runing an electric cutout any hp gains?