Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

carbon fiber composite driveshafts??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default carbon fiber composite driveshafts??

Does ANYONE still make a cf driveshaft for the '98-'02 LS1 f-bodies, besides the special made to order, $1K, Driveshaft Shop deal??

Is ACPT even still in business (their site does not come up for me at all), or anyone else who used to make these for our cars?

Before all of the naysayers come on here and blast these products, let me say this car will NEVER BE USED for drag, or even 'roll' racing again as long as I own it, it IS used for autocross/road racing/open tracking, and I want this item to help reduce the ring and pinion whine which most say our 10 bolts MUST have (even with proper set ups) due to the way our cars' suspensions/drive lines transmit NVH into the cabin area.

My thoughts are that since cf is a SUPERIOR damping material to EITHER DOM, or chromoly steel OR aluminum alloy, it will transmit less of the ring and pinion scream into the interior.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Short answer is yes. I can't remember who though. And carbon fiber drive shaft "technology" has come a long way. There are some full weight f-cars that drag with them...
Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that acpt in the old days. It was ok but got a rock chip on it but it didn't unravel . It was nice and smooth and not sure how it was for noise transmission.
PST is think who you want to talk to. I got one for my 99 twin turbo from them.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i got a quote from the driveshaft shop but it wasnt 1k total out the door with new joints and yoke was 799. Sill not cheap but much better than the 9xx that pst wanted. Plus I like the driveshaft shops design better. Their yoke actually threads into the carbon tube and goes in further. where the pst and acpt were just pressed/glued in which caused quite a few failures
Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbird555
i got a quote from the driveshaft shop but it wasnt 1k total out the door with new joints and yoke was 799. Sill not cheap but much better than the 9xx that pst wanted. Plus I like the driveshaft shops design better. Their yoke actually threads into the carbon tube and goes in further. where the pst and acpt were just pressed/glued in which caused quite a few failures
THANKS

I was told that quote by a local shop, so they may have included some 'markup' into their price.

The only other drawback is that I have heard some bad 'internet stories' about D.S. alloy and steel shafts showing up TOTALLY and completely out of balance, which IS a problem as NO shops around here will even touch an aluminum driveshaft, let alone be able to balance one.
I can only imagine that for a cf shaft, it would be 10,000 times more difficult to find a balancing shop, so it HAS TO BE perfect right out of the box!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We use CF shafts in everything from high 5 and low 6 second Pro Mod cars to LSX Drag Radial all way to street racers. The bonding technology has come a long way in the recent years and has proven to be very durable and much safer than any metallic shaft. Most CF shafts I have seen do not require much of any added balance weights.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
We use CF shafts in everything from high 5 and low 6 second Pro Mod cars to LSX Drag Radial all way to street racers. The bonding technology has come a long way in the recent years and has proven to be very durable and much safer than any metallic shaft. Most CF shafts I have seen do not require much of any added balance weights.
The cf shafts for low powered, stock T56 and 10 bolt cars would be 3" diameter, or a little larger??

I ask because I had a 3.5" aluminum shaft in this before, and it did scrape against some parts when the suspension/unibody/torque arm/rear axle was in full flex/extension/twist.
This would be a VERY expensive (but yes, safe) disaster with a cf shaft.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The carbon shafts we sell are 3.75" diameter. Driveshaft loop clearance can become an issue, yes, but that is an installer setup issue and sometime a few mods may be necessary to accommodate the fit. The MWC loop is 5.00" ID and clears most shafts.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I got one for my camaro and one for my Silverado truck. I went with PST. They are nice
Old 09-12-2014, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The carbon shafts we sell are 3.75" diameter. Driveshaft loop clearance can become an issue, yes, but that is an installer setup issue and sometime a few mods may be necessary to accommodate the fit. The MWC loop is 5.00" ID and clears most shafts.
I am NOT worried about the loop contacting, as I do not run one, and do not need one for my road race/open tracking/HPDE run organization (this is NOT for drag racing!).
WHY would drag race orgs even require them on a cf driveshaft equipped ride, as they just 'broom' when they come apart? (To keep the alloy yokes in place maybe?)

What concerns me is that the 3.5" alloy one I had in this car was contacting other parts under there (torque arm, possibly the 3.5" intermediate pipe, etc.).
So how would one 1/4" LARGER not make contact with these same parts??
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ACPT has been in my car for years. Bought it to run ORR events, and have been 170 mph smoothly.

That is as about close as they get (stands under axle) but that 3-bolt flange has to go.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

strange 3.5" chromoly vs carbon fibre 3.75" shaft? I'm canadian so how much do you think shipping would gouge me? hahaha
Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
The ACPT has been in my car for years. Bought it to run ORR events, and have been 170 mph smoothly.

That is as about close as they get (stands under axle) but that 3-bolt flange has to go.

Is that a 3.75" diameter ACPT??
Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the smaller one they offered. I'd have to measure it to quote the size. I knew the car would never make insane power, but was driving close to the critical speed of the OEM shaft, and didn't want a failure or any shake cruising at 165.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a full weight car I drag race with that has a CF driveshaft. Looks like the ACPT one posted above.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
It is the smaller one they offered. I'd have to measure it to quote the size. I knew the car would never make insane power, but was driving close to the critical speed of the OEM shaft, and didn't want a failure or any shake cruising at 165.
Thanks!

I am in the same boat as I am NOT going to be chasing mega power like most on here (NOT needed, or even allowed in the rules of most road racing sanctioning bodies).
It will NEVER be more than 425 ponies/torque to the wheels!
But it will help with the constantly changing speeds of open tracking/autocross, and it WILL kill some more NVH than any other material out there.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber composite driveshafts??