Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Surprising c10..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surprising c10..

Was heading out to walmart today with the girlfriend, and there was this orange shitbox looking c10 sitting along side the road, and ive seen this guy around town before racing around acting like a jack *** (its really loud). So i pass him on this back road and he pulls out behind me and immediately rides my ***, and then i see him try to whip out behind me to pass me and i figured, **** it im going to show this dude this truck isnt fast. So about the time he gets even with my door i lay on it, and to my surprise he was still slowly ******* inching past me..... We were doing maybe 30 when I hit it, and i couldnt believe that this truck somehow had a fender on me... finally as it shifted into 3rd at about 90mph i started to slowly walk away from him and by 100 had a fender on him and let out.

Dude was all giddy and ****, and gave a thumbs up, i was going to stop and ask him wtf was in it but was on a time crunch and couldnt.

Not butthurt at all by it, but im just shocked i guess? Truck was orange, with a blue fender, shitty spray painted cragars, smashed windshield... and somehow it just stayed door to door with me?...

Btw, my car is an 01 ws6, a4, catback exhaust, lid, maf, full spohn suspension, but otherwise a stock car.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He could have had a turbo 5.3 in there for all you know.
The cars I worry most about (and by worry I mean hope they are fast so I can laugh my *** off if/when they pass me because I love a sleeper) are the ones that look like **** but want to run. There are so many swapped cars out there today it's ridiculous.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Def not a turbo truck lol, and its loud as hell, but i didnt hear any kind of noticeable cam when i passed him idling..
Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Considering you gave him a rolling start, and still evened it out, it's not a very quick truck, maybe upper 14's or so. My truck probably would do just as well with it's mildly built up 350 in that situation and it's a beat up old worktruck aside from the engine.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Really? giving him that little bit of a jump in momentum would make that big of a difference? I would have thought an ls1 fbody would put train lengths on a normal 350 truck...
Old 09-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good general rule to remember when it comes to street cars, and this is referencing the typical street cars at a 1/4 drag strip: 1 tenth of a second equals 10rwhp equals 100lbs. In other words, you want to gain a tenth of a second and traction and gearing are already up to the task? Lose 100lbs or add 10rwhp. You just added 150rwhp with a nitrous setup? Traction pending, you should pick up 1.5 seconds (though adding that much power brings a ton of new traction issues). Friend talking smack and you need another tenth? Pull that passenger and rear seat out for an easy 100lb weight loss.

Point being, that if that truck was already doing 10mph more then you when you went WOT next to him, you would need an extra 100rwhp to beat him in that 100mph race like you would have if you started evenly. I've seen that proven over and over again btw. You just gotta not let someone get that jump on you like he did is all. If in doubt, line it up fair or don't go: last thing this world needs is even more noobs that think there vehicle can hang with or beat faster cars.... we have ALL heard jackknobs running there mouth before, and this^^ is one of the most common causes of there ignorance.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 09-14-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Was it hammer in it with his old truck????lol
Old 09-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

I thought just weight would have a lot to do with it and i would run away from the truck either way.. guess i was wrong.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i mean you have no gears and no converter in an automatic... you're not exactly super fast lol.

Anyway, he probably has a sweet motor swap in it
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm shocked because shitty spray painted cragers and blue fender usually really hurt the performance of a truck, especially old c10's. Lol... j/k man.
But really, if Mr. c10 (who sounds like a typical jackass in a slow p.o.s. who thinks its rocketship status) had a jump from behind and you still slowly inched away from him, that's a really slow *** truck. Sorry, lid/catback LS1 Fbodies aren't really considered fast by any means now-a-days.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

No, i realize the thing is not fast, lmao. But its still a decently quick car.. and i would though it would freight train a pos heavy truck.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black01Bird
No, i realize the thing is not fast, lmao. But its still a decently quick car.. and i would though it would freight train a pos heavy truck.
It may have a 454 in it... and holes in the exhaust(weight savings... yea!)

That said, those old C10's aren't always as heavy as people tend to expect. I'd figure about 4,000 lb and they may be slightly under 3500 w/ a V8(not the 454). Not that you should've been shocked at his keeping it close while he did, with the advantage of already rolling at a faster speed than you, but I think maybe you expected less from that truck than it had to offer.

Race him from 0 or a specific roll speed(matched) and you're going to annihilate it. The main reason is, the truck surely lacks power as compared to your car, even if it has a 454, unless it's highly modified.

Quick Reply: Surprising c10..