Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Controlling 4L80E TCC manually

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Controlling 4L80E TCC manually

So upgrading the transmission and need a way to control the TCC on the transmission cause I'm going full manual valve body.
Anyone with experience doing this before?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM
FormerVendor

Don't do a full manual valve body is my first piece of advice

If you want full manual control, might I suggest a plug and play solution? It's a little box that plugs into the transmission connector port and has two wires, one for 12v power and the other is to wire up a toggle switch for lockup. Don't want full manual control anymore? Unplug the box and keep the current valve body and set it up differently without having to go into the transmission
Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NorthTexasConverter
Don't do a full manual valve body is my first piece of advice

If you want full manual control, might I suggest a plug and play solution? It's a little box that plugs into the transmission connector port and has two wires, one for 12v power and the other is to wire up a toggle switch for lockup. Don't want full manual control anymore? Unplug the box and keep the current valve body and set it up differently without having to go into the transmission
I'm going full manual because my truck is OBD1, and I can repin the 4l60e harness to 4L80E and I got the hardware and software to retune it but the new tune requires a $0E mask which I also have but I need to keep my factory $0D mask to run my new MPFI tune since I'm going from TBI injection to 8 injectors.
Okay and for the control box I could then in theory just make one since it's just a steady 12V source to turn the TCC on?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
I'm going full manual because my truck is OBD1, and I can repin the 4l60e harness to 4L80E and I got the hardware and software to retune it but the new tune requires a $0E mask which I also have but I need to keep my factory $0D mask to run my new MPFI tune since I'm going from TBI injection to 8 injectors.
Okay and for the control box I could then in theory just make one since it's just a steady 12V source to turn the TCC on?
Nothing wrong with full manual control, I wasn't saying don't do that, I'm saying do it but without using a different valve body

It's a 12v source to power the transmission so you're not just in limp mode and the trans actually works. If there's no power applied to any of the electronics, well...

The other wire aside from the power wire is what you would hook up to a toggle switch for lockup.

The box isn't something guys do as a DIY thing at home, it has to be purchased through a company that makes it. We make one and I know of 2 others who do as well, not sure of anyone else. The biggest difference as far as product goes between all who make it is pricing rather than the product itself
Old 09-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Okay are we talking about a standalone TCU or a separate control box for just the torque converter all together?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

It's neither really. I guess you could technically call it a standalone TCU but it's not like others such as the US Shift or the TCI units or anything like that. It's a small little control box for the transmission that gives it power and full manual control that has a wire to toggle lockup.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NorthTexasConverter
It's neither really. I guess you could technically call it a standalone TCU but it's not like others such as the US Shift or the TCI units or anything like that. It's a small little control box for the transmission that gives it power and full manual control that has a wire to toggle lockup.
How much would it cost?
I finally got some wiring diagrams for the 4l80e so I'm on the edge on whether I want to go full manual or just wire it to my harness and reflash the mask on the ecm to run int instead.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TrippyJoey
How much would it cost?
I finally got some wiring diagrams for the 4l80e so I'm on the edge on whether I want to go full manual or just wire it to my harness and reflash the mask on the ecm to run int instead.
Both have their benefits (automatic control vs manual), and as a matter of fact if you're interested I can work out a very specific deal on the manual box and one other item that may or may not particularly strike your fancy. Give me a call at (817) 636-0175 if you have any spare time and we can discuss more and I can also answer your questions much faster and easier that way

As for just the box, it is $150 for the box + $10 flat rate shipping

Quick Reply: Controlling 4L80E TCC manually