Print Wikipost

Fixing dot-matrix problem on Camaro rear window tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing dot-matrix problem on Camaro rear window tint

Hi all,

So I know this dot-matrix tint problem has been discussed a bunch on here, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on FIXING it, since I have the problem...

See, the top of my back window tint is all bubbly over the dot matrix, so I was wondering if I could maybe cut this part of the tint out with a razor blade and then either paint that area black on the inside or use 3m vinyl tape. Would this work? What method would be best to cut and then loosen that section of tint and peel it? Has anyone done anything like this?

What do you guys think? I'd rather not have the whole back window re-tinted (even though the previous owner who did the tint obviously had it done at a shop that wasn't so great). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Anyone have any good pictures of Camaro back window tint with the dot-matrix area either painted inside or taped inside? I have never seen a good photo... which line are you supposed to follow (i.e. just straight across or the curve of the top defroster wire line)?

Last edited by Shatty; 05-26-2004 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

My tinter used opaque black vinyl to cover the dots before he installed the tint film. Been that way for 2 years now....still looks great.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

A guy told me at a car meet he used some kind of neon sign paint to black out the dot part and it looked good, but I don't remember where he said he got it. Anyone here heard of such a thing?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Launching!

use vinyl, i have seen a few f bodys that have had the vinyl on for years and it looks great. My tint on ny dot matrix is barely starting to peel so i will be going this route soon.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input, guys... the big question that I still have, though, is if I will be able to cut out a section of the tint like this and remove it without messing up the rest of the tint. Anyone ever done this? How should I go about it?

Also, if I can do that I would like to use the vinyl tape as instructed, but I don't really understand how it can look good if it has to go straight across. I would like to follow the highest window defroster line, because I think that would look MUCH better, but I don't see how this would be possible using tape. Also, won't you have to use more than one piece of tape and therefore end up with lines in the finished product?

If anyone has or can take any close-up photos that show what this looks like (preferably on the Camaro), I -- and others too I think -- would be VERY grateful to you if you could post them. Thanks all!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my tinter tinted the whold back window then removed the tint from the "dots" area.. then we masked it all off (overlapping 1/8 inch) and then sprayed it with flat black engine enamel.. looked great from the inside AND the outside
Old 05-27-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or u could always wet sand the dots smooth so the tint will stick without the bubbley look....it works lol my little haha
Justin
Old 05-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

I had this same problem, so we wound up carefully cutting a line just above the top defroster line, removing the tint from that area and painting it black with a special window paint, but I think any kind of paint will do. Just make sure you can remove it if you need to in the future.

We tried to use vinyl, but the adhesive turned a blue tint when water was applied to it when we tried to position it in place.

Painting it works, in the right light it looks...different. Most people don't notice. It looks a HELL of a lot better than bubbles.

I can try tp get some pics of mine if I can.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

you could always cut out each individual dot, i know someone who had that done on their bmw. it looked perfect, but was extremely time consuming.

Quick Reply: Fixing dot-matrix problem on Camaro rear window tint