General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lack of power / Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lack of power / Hesitation

Seems to run just fine, but sometimes it seems like a small miss and takes longer to shift. Deff noticable on bridges (or likely hill for those of you not living on flat earth), but not at all times. Giving it more throttle seems to smooth it out.

So this is warm, under load, under light throttle condition. Plugs are fairly new. PCV is clean. I have yet to even find the IAC if it even has one...

No SES but will check for codes tomorrow.

2002 3.8 Firebird
Old 11-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IAC is on the side of the throttle body (drivers side). Try wires next if its not that ...you could have a clogged CAT/o2 sensor maybe.....which is what happened to mine
Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

What kind of air filter do you have?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xenergyx
IAC is on the side of the throttle body (drivers side). Try wires next if its not that ...you could have a clogged CAT/o2 sensor maybe.....which is what happened to mine
I never could find it on either side. I believe it's drive by wire. Both sides have plastic covers. Is it under those? What wires are you refering to?
As for CAT, would it not be a constant issue? Deff will check codes later.

EDIT
Maybe I don't have an IAC? http://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-...l-valve-41476/

Originally Posted by wssix99
What kind of air filter do you have?
Last I remember I believe it is just some paper filter.

Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 11-25-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by nimrod.sixty9
Last I remember I believe it is just some paper filter.
I was thinking a dirty MAF (It does sound like an airflow problem or an emissions issue impacting airflow.) but if you've had paper filters for a while, that may not be it. It may be worth the $5 on MAF cleaner to give it a spray and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Good Luck, those 3.8 drive by wire fbodies are a ball of trouble. I'm gonna guess you have coil problems. Do a search on the net, there are a few v6 sites out there. I owned a 2002 Firebird3.8 for exactly 1 month, only had 20k on it. Nothing but troubles with it, I took a 5k loss and traded it for a Formula.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 11-26-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

I was thinking a dirty MAF (It does sound like an airflow problem or an emissions issue impacting airflow.) but if you've had paper filters for a while, that may not be it. It may be worth the $5 on MAF cleaner to give it a spray and see what happens.
You are second person to reference the MAF. I believe I may actually have some cleaner Ill run on it as soon as Im home.

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Good Luck, those 3.8 drive by wire fbodies are a ball of trouble. I'm gonna guess you have coil problems. Do a search on the net, there are a few v6 sites out there. I owned a 2002 Firebird3.8 for exactly 1 month, only had 20k on it. Nothing but troubles with it, I took a 5k loss and traded it for a Formula.
I believe Ive had at least 3 drive by wire Fbodies. Never had an issue related to it. I have also posted this on CamaroV6. I have had a lot more hit here than there and I know a lot of guys on here came from the 3.8 (myself included).

So I have an UPDATE:
Since my girl didn't need the car today I decided I would take it to work to she how she does. It seems when I barely accel is when the hesitation is felt the most. Cruise, idle, and heavy throttle seems fine, however, under heavy throttle I can tell the is a deff lack of power.

Got the scanner on it today and found code P1404. Replaced EGR not too long ago, maybe bad again or something else? Also, may have not cleared the code since.

Then thought to myself 'just pay attention to temp'. Then noticed the temp gauge was not working at all. Decided to check codes again at work and it showed pending fault P0128.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

So I cleaned EGR, and added a bit of water.
No codes show since but EGR wasnt really dirty nor was the pintle sticking.
I know now that the hesitation is much worse with the AC and almost non-existent with it off.
Still need to spray that MAF.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Cleaned MAF and unhooked batt. Deff feels a lot better, but I can still feel it with the AC on.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You are second person to reference the MAF. I believe I may actually have some cleaner Ill run on it as soon as Im home.

I believe Ive had at least 3 drive by wire Fbodies. Never had an issue related to it. I have also posted this on CamaroV6. I have had a lot more hit here than there and I know a lot of guys on here came from the 3.8 (myself included).

So I have an UPDATE:
Since my girl didn't need the car today I decided I would take it to work to she how she does. It seems when I barely accel is when the hesitation is felt the most. Cruise, idle, and heavy throttle seems fine, however, under heavy throttle I can tell the is a deff lack of power.

Got the scanner on it today and found code P1404. Replaced EGR not too long ago, maybe bad again or something else? Also, may have not cleared the code since.

Then thought to myself 'just pay attention to temp'. Then noticed the temp gauge was not working at all. Decided to check codes again at work and it showed pending fault P0128.
Oh yeah their great .....LOL
Old 11-27-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Oh yeah their great .....LOL
Ummm, ok?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Launching!

yes if the cat is starting to clog itll be a constant issue but i had 196k on mine before they went bad...it still hesitates a bit but not nearly as bad at one point id hit the gas and the rpm would go up but wouldnt go forward. My spark plug wires only have 10 to 15k on them. I cleaned my MAF it still hesitates.. new paper filter so its either fuel pressure or coil packs or spark plugs.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Save the manuals!

unhooked batt.

This resets the PCM, so you'll need to take it in a long drive at higher speeds for the PCM relearn process to run. Until you do that, the PCM wont recalibrate to your clean MAF, etc.

I'd suggest taking it for a relearn drive and then seeing where you stand on feel and if any new codes are thrown.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xenergyx
yes if the cat is starting to clog itll be a constant issue but i had 196k on mine before they went bad...it still hesitates a bit but not nearly as bad at one point id hit the gas and the rpm would go up but wouldnt go forward. My spark plug wires only have 10 to 15k on them. I cleaned my MAF it still hesitates.. new paper filter so its either fuel pressure or coil packs or spark plugs.
Papr filter looks really good, almost ready to put back in the box. Wires are unknown. Plugs are good. Will check FP asap.

This resets the PCM, so you'll need to take it in a long drive at higher speeds for the PCM relearn process to run. Until you do that, the PCM wont recalibrate to your clean MAF, etc.

I'd suggest taking it for a relearn drive and then seeing where you stand on feel and if any new codes are thrown.
This is exactly why I unhooked it
Well it was about a 10 mile nearly all highway drive (hit 90 for just a second or two).
Not near as bad as normal, but where it did hesitate before it still hesitates now.
Girl drove it to work today so should be good to go by now. Ill take it for a spin when she gets back tonight and Ill check the FP.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

OK, more problems.
So today I decided to take off the throttle body and clean it. And Im glad I did!
Clean the TB wasnt so bad, it was the layers of gunk in the intake, and I do mean layers; had a putty knife work as a shovel.
Also, it looks as though she may have had a water leak from the TB. Am I right (see pics)?

Now that I have it all back together, after first crank I had a lot of TPS codes. Erased them and gave it a spin. Wow, power has returned! ...but, rough idle remains. I can hear a faint sssss... Vacuum leak. Just cant tell where. Felt all around TB and EGR to no avail.
Now I also noticed the crank pulley is wobbling! What the hell does that mean?

Old 12-23-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I have confirmed it is way more prevalent, if not only prevalent with the AC on. Very noticeable. Hesitates to shift and lack of power and sometimes missing.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Bump.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Bump.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ower-loss.html

FUEL pump?????
Old 01-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Vacuum leak? unpop a few of em' and hook up your vacuum lines so they make one lone line, and (hear me out on this) buy a cigar. I'm serious. Give that stoogie a few puffs and blow into the lines. When you start to see smoke, that's where your leak should be.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Mayhaps correct; I can hear what I think to be a vacuum leak. Assumed EGR piping as it was the last thing worked on. Sure enough it had a crack at the base near the EGR.
Replaced it with a known good and car feels exactly the same. Still has the vacuum sound. Isn't much in the way of vacuum line I can even find...
See vids (one also shows crank pulley);

Quick Reply: Lack of power / Hesitation