Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Chasing down a GT-R at NOLA

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chasing down a GT-R at NOLA

One more lap he would have been mine I think, if the Lotus would have let me by earlier I would have gotten him also. The Lotus is supercharged on R comp's.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 11-30-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the sun causing you any grief?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

GTR's are my favorite cars to run down. Can't hang on the straights but they get pissed when you chew them up in braking zones and hang with them mid corner. I think you need to fail a driving test to buy a GTR though. A solid 75% of them have no business being on track. Nice catch at 7:20.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by socorob
Not real bad, tinted visor.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
GTR's are my favorite cars to run down. Can't hang on the straights but they get pissed when you chew them up in braking zones and hang with them mid corner. I think you need to fail a driving test to buy a GTR though. A solid 75% of them have no business being on track. Nice catch at 7:20.
That was kind of a breakthrough weekend for me, I got over some hurdles mentally.

I have been trying to teach myself to turn the wheel loose when it tries to come around, the CPR method(Catch, pause, release).

I got much better at looking ahead, lowering the panhard bar gave a lot of confidence which in turn helped with looking ahead.

Car has a good bit more speed in it.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Straight into the sun you can't see past the car in front of you so it makes it a bit more harry down the front stretch, it's scary running 140 and can't see past the car in front of you.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
One more lap he would have been mine I think, if the Lotus would have let me by earlier I would have gotten him also. The Lotus is supercharged on R comp's.
One of my fondest memories was when I still had an instructor in the car and we were working on catching a Maseratti at Roebling Road. He was encouraging me to to press it harder on Sunday and I finally started reeling him in. We came into turn six and the Maseratti spun hard off into the grass and I can remember my instructor and I high fiving through turn 7. That was one of my huge confidence boosting moments and really helped me show that I was capable of pushing myself.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sure is fun ain't it? you should see the look on the guys faces in the paddock when they find out I'm the guy driving the 47 year old Camaro that just ran them down! If half the guys on this forum would come out and try road racing they'd be hooked for life!

I'm an instructor also, sure is fun when my students run down and pass the "super cars"
Old 12-04-2014, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

I love when instructors encourage you to go after the exotics. One of my fun memories involves catching a new 911 and hanging behind him. I wasn't sure if I had the speed to stay in front of him so I didn't pass. The instructor yelled at me in an encouraging manner "What are you doing! You're way faster than this guy, get up in his mirrors and get around him!" Another good one involved a new 660hp GTR that could BARELY stay in front of me. After the session the driver approached me and asked what's done to the car. His ego was severely bruised when I told him the motor was stock and it only had bolt on suspension pieces.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

And beachcruiser is right, if the guys here tried it they would never stop. I used to do some straight line stuff, but after a couple seasons of road course action, I can safely say I have ZERO desire to ever go back to a drag strip.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I love when instructors encourage you to go after the exotics. One of my fun memories involves catching a new 911 and hanging behind him. I wasn't sure if I had the speed to stay in front of him so I didn't pass. The instructor yelled at me in an encouraging manner "What are you doing! You're way faster than this guy, get up in his mirrors and get around him!" Another good one involved a new 660hp GTR that could BARELY stay in front of me. After the session the driver approached me and asked what's done to the car. His ego was severely bruised when I told him the motor was stock and it only had bolt on suspension pieces.
I had a guy in a GT3 RS at Roebling do that. I passed him and he couldn't catch me. I was an intermediate guy then and was leaving the car in 4th gear to teach myself momentum.

After the session, 4 of us were standing around BSing and the guy walked up to us. He didn't say anything until they all walked off...he said "Whats done to this car"?? I said, stock engine(didn't divulge it was a stock LS6 lol) and it had bolt on suspension.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And beachcruiser is right, if the guys here tried it they would never stop. I used to do some straight line stuff, but after a couple seasons of road course action, I can safely say I have ZERO desire to ever go back to a drag strip.
Amen to that. Sitting around all day to get a few runs at the drag strip just doesn't appeal that much to me anymore. Love the fact that I can burn a full tank of gas (and part of another) ripping around a road course and still be home for dinner!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a guy in a GT3 RS at Roebling do that. I passed him and he couldn't catch me. I was an intermediate guy then and was leaving the car in 4th gear to teach myself momentum.

After the session, 4 of us were standing around BSing and the guy walked up to us. He didn't say anything until they all walked off...he said "Whats done to this car"?? I said, stock engine(didn't divulge it was a stock LS6 lol) and it had bolt on suspension.
The whole leaving it in 4th gear reminds me of a great story. I was instructing for Chin Motorsports at Sebring and my student shows up in a World Challenge Viper with Daddy's race team in tow. The car of course did not have a passenger seat and the GM, Mark Hicks, was just about to send them home. I agreed to a lead follow scenario just to help in a bad situation. Through out the day I started developing transmission problems so by the end of the day it was only good for 4th gear. For the last session I lead my student out of the pits and point him by to let him go. His brother was riding with me and was going to be driving the Viper on Sunday so I started working with him on driving a smooth and proper line.

After the session I have a Corvette driver approach me to see what I had done to the car. He was on huge R6's and the motor was very healthy. I just smiled and explained that I was an instructor and a great deal of it is just seat time. I never told him the damn car was stuck in 4th gear, I just didn't have the heart.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

David Fly Bye 3 with the GT.AVI - YouTube
Two good videos there. Just further proves the point that every car on track is inherently limited to the skill of the driver! I think it's funny how the first question that usually comes up is "what's done to the car?". Should just skip that conversation completely and lead with "tell me about how you learned to be such a great driver".
Old 12-05-2014, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Nice videos and driving. How is NOLA I've never been there? Who were you driving with? Just a bit of constructive criticism, if you're going to warm the tires on the first lap, doing gentle switch backs does little to nothing. Be violent about it or don't bother. For HPDE where they sometimes get bent about it, best way is early to mid corner on the slower turns do a fast and hard pull on the wheel to the inside while simultaneously stabbing the gas. I know that sounds nuts, but it will induce understeer (if you pull hard and fast enough), pushing the front while spinning the rear. Much better for warming up the tires. Try it in an empty parking lot.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Nice videos and driving. How is NOLA I've never been there? Who were you driving with? Just a bit of constructive criticism, if you're going to warm the tires on the first lap, doing gentle switch backs does little to nothing. Be violent about it or don't bother. For HPDE where they sometimes get bent about it, best way is early to mid corner on the slower turns do a fast and hard pull on the wheel to the inside while simultaneously stabbing the gas. I know that sounds nuts, but it will induce understeer (if you pull hard and fast enough), pushing the front while spinning the rear. Much better for warming up the tires. Try it in an empty parking lot.
Thanks, NOLA is an awesome track...very easy on tires. I was running with NASA at the event above.

I am butt puckered on Rcomps anyway, I don't start driving hard till 2 or so laps in when I feel they are warm.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Once my car is out of paint and I know everything is good, I want to go to a track day lite at NOLA.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Once my car is out of paint and I know everything is good, I want to go to a track day lite at NOLA.
Why wait for paint?
Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Ha cause its in primer right now and all the glass is out. May be getting paint this weekend.

Quick Reply: Chasing down a GT-R at NOLA