Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling the Trans gods!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling the Trans gods!

So i'm looking to build my own trans next year. I've done a couple stock rebuilds, a couple powerglides, but I really havent been this deep into 60e.
I have a parts list that i've gathered from here and there but I'd like to know if everything I have listed is needed, or if there are things I'm missing.

The car is an 04 GTO 4L60-e. I dont want to put out all the info on the build as I have a few haters on my tail that I need to upset...

But, Shortly after trans install, I'll be installing around a 500rwhp NA Aluminum motor, 3600 stall, B&M ratchet and a 150 or less laughing gas.

*Toledo paper and rubber kit
*"National" pump and tail seals
*Borg Warner 3-4 frictions 9 clutches
*Wide not Kevlar " 2-4 band
* Borg Warner Over-Run, Reverse, Low/Reverse, and Forward frictions
*Sonax SmartShell
*.490" Sonnax boost valve (reverse?)
*Pump kit
*Sealed Power hardened pump rings
*Sonnax "high RPM" pump slide spring
*"Corvette" intermediate 2-4 servo
* 2-3 Shift Valve
*New Borg Warner 29 element input sprag
* Servo release check valve
*700 style Babbit pump bushing
*Bronze case bushing
*New pressure switch manifold
*Modified EPC solenoid
*Pinless Forward Accumulator Piston
*2 shift solenoids and pressure control solenoid
*Modified separator plate
*Sealed Power filter
*"Farpak" fiber pan gasket
a couple questions as well.

Everyone seems to replace the intermediate/2-4 servo but is there a need for the "overdrive" servo i see some places have listed... or is that just the 4th gear part of the 2-4 servo?

Is the 29 element sprag required?

On the boost valve, some places also have one listed as the Reverse Boost Valve... same thing?

I've read some talk on a must have for a Vacuum modulator and the spacer count for the accumulator. Any thoughts?

Lastly, For the "modified seperator plate" whats the best sourcing for that?
I feel sure there are other questions to arise...

Thanks in advance!
-Cam
Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

There are two servos, the 2nd gear servo and the 4th gear servo. The OD servo is the 4th gear servo obviously.

29 element sprag in an upgraded rebuilt kit would be a dual cage sprag vs factory single cage, so yes, you should have that.

Yes they're the same thing.

I don't think it would be necessary to have a vacuum modulator on your setup.

Modified separator plate is personal preference. I'd recommend starting with a new one as the stock piece is often fairly beat up and modifying based on your own research.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks! That definitely helps me narrow things down. Terms are confusing.

I wasnt sure on the vacuum mod, ive read things both ways. I'm not sure about what name dropping vs other sponors entails here. but I know there is a site that sells just the TransGo seperator plate. Is that worth buying on its own, or should I just order a "shift kit?" Building a total trans seems like maybe i'd be better off buying things seperately...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Teching In

so if one was to build a overrun, reverse, low/reverse, and forward set from scratch... what should i buy?
Attached Thumbnails Calling the Trans gods!-clutchpacks.jpg  
Old 12-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I do suggest the Transgo Universal Separator Plate part #46-PLT-96. First drill it according to its V8 instructions and then according to the Transgo HD2 shift kit instructions. Add Torlon ***** to the list - they eliminate wear on the separator plate. IIRC Sonnax #100008.

I would suggest a, 8-friction (not 9) 3/4 clutch setup. I recently talked to NorthTexas Converter and we are on the same page for all these parts. I'll PM you my phone number and we can go down the list in detail and you can order most/all the parts from NorthTexas. Don't worry about the brand on all the basic rebuild parts, I think they all come from the same manufacturing plant in China. NorthTexas will likely sell you a basic rebuild kit with the upgrades you want.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I am not a Trans God but I stayed at a Holladay Inn Express once.

I would use the .490" Sonnax boost valve with the o-rings on the sleeve.

I prefer the TransGo 700 PKH harden pump rings and spring if you rev your engine over 5400 rpm along with a TransGo 4L60E-HD2 shift kit instead of the Sealed Power hardened pump rings and the Sonnax "high RPM" pump slide spring.

If you use the TransGo 4L60E-HD2 shift kit do not use the Sonnax servo release check valve. The Sonnax check valve and TransGo kit do not work well together.

The TransGo kit will have instruction on how the modified your separator plate or if your plate is worn you can buy a TransGo plate and modify it.

You will also need an aluminum 1-2 Accumulator Piston.

A Sonnax 2-3 HD Shift Valve.

There is no need to replace the pressure switch manifold unless it is broken.

Like mrvedit I prefer an 8 clutch 3-4 set up with the thickest steals that will fit.

I have not heard of a Modified EPC solenoid unless you are talking about turning the adjustment screw. There is no need for that with the .490" Sonnax boost valve and tune.

Mrvedit always gives good advice, so what he says will be good.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

If using laughing gas you may want to install a Sonnax Input Drum Reinforcement Kit.

I forgot I also like to use a Sonnax Forward & Reverse Abuse Valve Kit in place of both stock Forward & Reverse Abuse Valves.
Attached Files

Last edited by bbond105; 12-12-2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Forgot Attachments
Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Mr Bond: The OP PM'ed me and said he would call me in January to discuss the details.
I fully agree with all your part suggestions. As mentioned, just use the stock EPC solenoid.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Dana at ProBuilt shot me a PM and recomended this kit.
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=55&page=1

with the converter, i feel its an unbeatable price. after talking to a few of my reps with companies I've beena round 6-700 on the converter alone.

on the breakdown I dont see the converter... but the main page says

750+FWHP w/8"-10" torque converter. Highly modified TransGo Shift kit. BW dual cage 29 element sprag, HD sleeve, extra wide Carbon band, Sonnax 2nd apply servo, Overrun 2-3 Shift Valve, Many upgrades, 10 clutch Borg Warner Hi-Energy 3-4 pack. Build DVD. Click link for "complete" details.

I've got leave coming up next week and then I'll be in the market towards building in january into febuary. Also have a diamond to finish paying for, and the rest towards the car!

I cant wait to get this show on the road. 2 years into the car, and I've only done apperance and boltons...

Cant even lie, I'm more excited to build the engine vs the trans, but I know I need it more than anything else. I can baby the axles and DS, but trans is the immediate weak link.
Attached Thumbnails Calling the Trans gods!-10678580_10202932451660218_6033052651721064492_n.jpg  
Old 12-15-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

The diamond is cheap. It's what that diamond gets you is what going to really cost you. At some point that diamond will be paid off, but the other you will never stop paying for.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Car parts or the woman? lol

I scored a good one. She came forward to help plan my first Wounded Warrior Project benefit show, and we've been best friends ever since. She too is into cars, which that may be the part eternally left unpaid. She's into fast corners, and i'm more into fast as an entirety but concentrated in a straight line. Tomorrow we'll have wheels on ground and first test drive on her 350z. Just finished up the front lower compression arms, control arms, solid bushings, new ball joints, rebuilt the HKS coilovers, drilled and slotted with 4 piston brakes, SS lines, Hotchkis swabars, adjustable endlinks, 2 new rims since they cracked on the last track event along with new rubber. I also made a frame modifcation with adjusable toe cam bolts in the rear. We're going on stock spec setup for winter daily driving, but the real test will be spring on the first road course.

I'm going to slowly build the GTO over time but the trans is slowly weakening. If I can find a 240z to my liking before I pull the trigger on the trans build, It will be bought and the GTO will be strictly daily status with upgraded trans. I will then put my newly aquired block into the 240 for the ulimate street car.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Congratulations on finding a good woman and best wishes. Thank you for your service. If we can help with your trans project let us know.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Definitely been a huge help already. This place has never let me down on any LS project...
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Maybe Dana will chime back in, but if I were doing a similar motor build with a 4l80 instead, would I still need a similar parts list?

Small boost on a 5.3/LQ 240z with paddle shifters... Thats the teetering project at the moment. I know the 80e is a much better trans, but what are the hot parts to replace on a stock 80?

thanks for the help fellas!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

From what I have read a stock 4L80E with a shift kit and good torque converter can handle more hp than a built 4L60E. So to answer your question no you would not need as many high performance parts on the 4L80E just basic rebuild parts.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Hmm. For a ground up build. that seems to be the best option. doing a swap on the daily wouldnt be quite as feasable, but seeing as how we're doing a total build.. 4l80e would be my answer then.

Dreams of a TT awd could come true.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

That would be the way I would go.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Teching In

TT LS swap has only been done once, and its a track car. Not to say its not possible on a street car, just more work for exhaust. AWD has never been done on a LS swap, so It'll definitely be a one of a kind. Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Calling the Trans gods!-hotpipes2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Calling the Trans gods!