General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 running rough / dying (DD help please!) :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 running rough / dying (DD help please!) :(

Hello, I have a 99 Camaro Z28, and lately have been having a problem of what seems to be increasing occurrence. Today was the worst thus far. Started out in idle, the car shut off. Took out keys. Left turn signal and seatbelt light remained on but car wouldn't crank. Fuel pump relay under the hood had loud clicking every 3 or 4 seconds. So I took it out plugged it back in. Car started so I drove it to auto zone. Relay didn't fix the problem, as I left AutoZone the car shut off. At this point it would crank. But revving/accelerating it would send all electronics into a frenzy. Lights on my dash would flash including security light, on and off and my stereo would shut off, then the car would die... But here's the part that gets me.. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes and bam back to normal. Does this occasionally and it's getting worse, driving 100 highway miles to school and don't want to have it strand me. All help is appreciated thank you

Last edited by Ledfoot2744; 01-21-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have the battery tested..
Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by LS1Z28
Have the battery tested..
Alright sounds like a good first place to start, I mentioned it to people at AutoZone yesterday and they said I would have trouble cranking the car on a regular basis if was bad battery, though I take the things they say with a grain of salt... one back to test it now
Old 01-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Check the cables for corrosion too.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Battery, cables, body ground. Check these first. And never take advice from people at an autoparts store
Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM

Well, according to tester, battery is good, alternator is good. So, I took it to a mechanic for some advice. I had no code on dash (SES) but he offered to hook a computer up to it, for free.... 0.0 wow life send lol. So it immediately popped up one message, something along the lines of, "anti-theft (security) system, Fuel circuit" . This seems to fit the fact that sometimes my security light comes on while running, shuts off the car and have to reset the computer to start it, and the fact that light is one of the lights that flash frantically when it goes on the fritz. He also mentioned something about the Body control module that i wish i could of understood better without it going over my head.

What do you guys think? also he said .. basically, im looking at alotta money to repair that, buti dont even know what the fix for that would be. Through a search earlier i did see something about the BCM giving people problems in these vehicles, but again, kinda went over my head what i was reading unfortunately.

Also could any of these problems point to a fuel pump system issue at all, mechanic seems to be pretty sure about the anti theft system issue, but then again free quotes are free quotes ... wish i knew more stuff about this

Last edited by Ledfoot2744; 01-21-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Launching!

You need to get the vats tested. It could be the ignition log cylinder causing the problem or the bcm. The bcm runs about $150.00 for a remanufactured one. Call around to a couple of different dealers to find out what they charge to test the cats..it was designed to stop thieves and only stops the owner go figure.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

before u repace the bcm open it up and check the soldered connections aparently u can get a broken one and just needs to be resoldered.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks hope you get it worked out saan....
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might let everybody know where you live. Maybe some local tech members can give you a hand. Hp tuners can delete vats, if it stops the issue you know what you are dealing with if the issue remains look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: LS1 running rough / dying (DD help please!) :(