Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed a TCI 3500 need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 04:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Just installed a TCI 3500 need some help

I just got it all together and put in the tranny cooler. it looked like about one gallon of transmission fluid came out when I changed the fluid and filter so I put back 3 quarts of fluid and the dipstick said it was full.

so I started the car up and it was searching for an idle then stalled out. after stalling I could hear transmission fluid moving around in the transmission but the dipstick still said full. so i start it back up, it runs fine so I put it though all the gears with the parking break on and then shut it off. this time I hear air blowing out of the dipstick tube. and more fluid flowing around. when I pulled the dipstick out it was low and had lots of tiny bubbles in the fluid. so I added another quart of fluid.

What should I do now? Is all of this normal? thakns for your advise.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:54 AM
12 Second Club

When I got mine done I didn't drain the fluid out.We just topped it up with about 3 qts.Im in the procees of checking it to see if its at the correct level.Its hard to get an accurate read on the dip stick.
For your problem Im not sure.You would think you just fill it and check it and check it again and then your off to the races.
I would wait till you get an answer from here before driving it.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need more fluid. The converter holds a lot of fluid an it will suck what fluid is in the transmission away, leaving the tranny with nothing. Top it up again a couple of times, then run it.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok, thanks speedy I will try that.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Speedy you were right I added 4 more quarts of fluid and everything is fine. I took it out for a spin tonight and all I can say is I LOVE THIS THING!!! just took about an hour to get used to pushing down on the gas further.

I still have one problem, when the converter is locked up 40+ MPH and I give it maybe 30% throttle just enough so it does not downshift but kinda boggs the engine there is a terrible noise. Very loud and noticable, what is the noise?
Old 05-30-2004, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

I have that problem too... Well the bogging down. I don't know about the noise. That's just the lock-up. I THINK. My cars been doing that since I had the stock converter. I have the exact same converter you do and it does that. I just don't hear any noise. Don't be surprised if you hit 11.9. I wish I was hitting 12.5 now, but my only MAJOR mod is that Stall. Cut-out and lid didn't help me much. Or maybe it's because I could really hook when I ran. I can't get lower than 13.6. We'll see what I hit with this stall now. HOPEFULLY in the 12s.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

not to hijack the thread really but when i install my ssf3500and transgo shift kit wil i have to have my car tuned or will it be fine. car in question is in sig.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

I honestly don't know about the tunning. I just installed mine about a week ago and I don't think it really needs it. To me the car is running almost exactly the same as it was when it was stock. Then again I haven't floored it. But if it hits the rev limiter then I'm going to need the tunning for sure. It's recommended that you tune it to adjust your shift points and so the shifting doesn't feel so "loose". I think it help that my car wasn't shifting so hard to begin with. In all actuallity the car is shifting a bit harder now than when I had it stock. Oh, and I noticed that you don't have a tranny cooler. That's THE FIRST thing you should put on your car if you plan on putting that stall. They aren't too expensive. I bought mine for about 25 bucks and it's a decent size.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

i am getting a cooler also along with BFG DRs
Old 05-30-2004, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
not to hijack the thread really but when i install my ssf3500and transgo shift kit wil i have to have my car tuned or will it be fine. car in question is in sig.

You might need to adjust your shift points. I didnt have to though. I believe since your car is a 98 you won't have to worry about torque management. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

I heard that noise once, I think its the clutch chattering.