New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not relating to LS1 but could use a mechanics opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Not relating to LS1 but could use a mechanics opinions....

My g/f has a 94 ford taurus...complete junk yes i know. But anyways...she's goin through school right now so she cant afford anything better...her tranny is going and deffinatly her linkage too b/c when she shifts into park the car goes in reverse lol so she has no park. But anyways the thing i'm concerned about is her engine. Its a 3.8 V6 and when she starts it up it starts and as the idle settels (all whithin the first like .1 second) it makes this real loud rattling under the hood...i already checked over it for loose parts or anything but everything is solid....its deffinatly coming from inside the engine. Broken or bent pushrod maybe? it also happens but not as loud...when she would accelerate up a hill, then get to the top and let off the gas to coast u can hear it rattling again. Any ideas welcome...trying to decide if we should scrap it and chance buyin another 2 or 3 g beater...or maybe just takin out a small loan myself and getting her suttin a little more reliable. Thanks all.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone, any ideas at all???
Old 06-08-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhh..motor mounts?
Old 06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
My g/f has a 94 ford taurus...complete junk yes i know. But anyways...she's goin through school right now so she cant afford anything better...her tranny is going and deffinatly her linkage too b/c when she shifts into park the car goes in reverse lol so she has no park. But anyways the thing i'm concerned about is her engine. Its a 3.8 V6 and when she starts it up it starts and as the idle settels (all whithin the first like .1 second) it makes this real loud rattling under the hood...i already checked over it for loose parts or anything but everything is solid....its deffinatly coming from inside the engine. Broken or bent pushrod maybe? it also happens but not as loud...when she would accelerate up a hill, then get to the top and let off the gas to coast u can hear it rattling again. Any ideas welcome...trying to decide if we should scrap it and chance buyin another 2 or 3 g beater...or maybe just takin out a small loan myself and getting her suttin a little more reliable. Thanks all.

Check shift cable/linkage bushings for trans detent problem. Ck Cat for rattle. If it was mech. in nature like a push rod or such as you guessed it would be all the time or more consistent.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hourang
uhh..motor mounts?
thats exactly what it sounds like if you have a cherry picker its not that hard to fix
Old 06-08-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I kinda think that u should try and find her another car. It sound like investing any money into fixing that car would be waisted due to the fact that something would prolly go wrong. Personally I think that taurus is nearing the end. You can probably find a pretty nice car for 2-3 grand. Decent mileage, and decent economy, are usaully the factors a woman looks at anyway. At least i can find fairly decent cars here in Kansas for that much money. Either way, I hope ya the best.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Motor mounts would be my guess they seem to break in the Taurus quite a bit I have helped replace a few for friends...
Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 PM
wrencher

Well was glad to see the majority of these die off to the junkyard. Does it knock like a bearing knock ? This kinda sounds like what you are describing. The motors (3.8 ford) had alot of issues, from oiling problems, to timing cover & intake gasket leaking antifreeze & the sure thing of the heads warping & the head gaskets blowing out on cylinders #3 & #4. The linkage adustament nut on the trans prolly came loose & thats what happened to park.(as long as the shifter on coulumn/console is operating &feels normal)
But you did say other trans problems? That is another sore subject on these cars, the AXOD transaxle is a POS. You will spend over 1K easy for this & hope it's right.
This is a car you'd only will to a person you dont like,get rid of it.It is a money pit. You put $500 ,$1000 or more in it what you got? The same POS ticking time bomb IMO.
Most of the time I'd say you know the car, it's got a problem fix it.
This case I'd have to say lose this thing cut your losses or suck it up & buy a car thats worth it.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks guys, one last thing regarding the motor mounts...wouldnt it sound like more of a knocking than a rattling if it were motor mounts? I've never done mounts before so i have no idea how to do it....hmmm spring for a diff. car or replace motor mounts...llol do i actually need an engine hoist to do this?? Thanks everyone for opinions!
Old 06-09-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

the rattling is most likely caused by the flex pipe on the exhaust when the motor flexes. any shop can look at the car and in 10 minutes know if the motor mounts are bad. not sure if you need a hoist, may be able to use a jack.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

I seem to remember GM cars pinging on startup by design to check the knock sensors. Do Fords do the same?