Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lights Lights Lights!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lights Lights Lights!!!!!!!

Okay I have some questions.

Is there anyway to put lights in the back of my trans am where the pontiac sign is, I want to make it like brake lights, or have it on when I turn on my headlights.

Is there anyway to get the turn signal lights on my side mirrors like some other cars have?

Is there anyway to get my brake like where my spoiler is to blink whenever I hit the brakes?
Old 06-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes.
On the rear
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ller+panel+mod
On the front:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ller+panel+mod

Yes.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=mirror
http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=show
(If the link doesnt work for you, select your car and go to the "Show Styles" section.)

Yes.
Couldnt find it here on LS1Tech although I do remeber seeing it. Try a google search.

Last edited by VIP1; 06-15-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

For the third question - having a flashing brake light is a common mod for touring motorcycles (like Gold Wings). Most motorcycle accessory shops can sell you a small module that gets wired into the power lead of the brake light and makes it flash.

Now, bear in mind that having a flashing red light is illegal in all 50 states (except for use as turn signals). Motorcycles get away with it because they need every advantage they can get for being seen so the cops generally ignore it.

You can get cheap flasher kits (under $20) that are basically just a turn signal flasher wired into the circuit. These make the lights flash as long as they are on. The better kits are designed to flash the lights for a while and then leave them on solidly until the next time you release and re-apply the brakes. These are less likely to get you a ticket or annoy the driver behind you while sitting at an intersection but will cost about $80.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see some SUV's from the factory with a flashing 3rd brake light.

You woulnd't think they'd be able to produce something illegal and sell it without some kind of problem from the authorities.

Maybe it's OK for 3rd brake lights or something, I dunno???

Taco
Old 06-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I have seen vehicles with flashing third brake lights as well, but I've never seen enough of them to tell if they are factory installed or not. For example, I've seen a couple of Honda Pilots with flashing lights but I've seen far more of them that don't have it so I think it was just owner installed. I am certain that there is no current exemption in the law for third brake lights (in Florida, at least) because I researched the legality when I installed it on my bike.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Some vehicles (including some SUVs and dump trucks) come from the factory with a blinking LED third brake light. When the brakes are applied, the light blinks once or twice and stays on solid until the brakes are released. The light does not continue blinking while the brakes are held.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by VIP1
Some vehicles (including some SUVs and dump trucks) come from the factory with a blinking LED third brake light. When the brakes are applied, the light blinks once or twice and stays on solid until the brakes are released. The light does not continue blinking while the brakes are held.
OK, we're getting way off topic here but I checked again on the legality. According to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) #108 section 5.5.10, a flashing Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL - third brake light) is illegal. Therefore, any SUVs or dump trucks (which aren't required to have them anyway) that you've seen with flashing lights were not made that way from the factory. State laws can't supercede the federal regulations so most states just incorporate the FMVSS into their vehicle codes. However, California does permit brake lights to flash no more than four times within the first four seconds of application of the brakes (VC 25251.5c). Florida specifically prohibits flashing lights in statute 316.2397(7).

BTW, there are some other interesting lighting issues in these regulations. We all know that smoke headlight and tail light covers are illegal but did you know that most aftermarket clear tail lights and Alteezas are also illegal? The factory ones are made to certain specifications that the aftermarket ones don't generally meet.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

On the dump truck it was actually the regular taillights that did that (it didnt have a third brake light).

I've seen a few high end SUVs do it and even a sedan. Its rare though. Either its a catching illegal mod or there are some manufactureres out there that are in trouble.

I'm not doubting what you said, I'm just saying what I've seen.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The factory ones are made to certain specifications that the aftermarket ones don't generally meet.
Sure, wink, wink, nudge, nudge. They're better built.
(Yea I know some aftermarket ones are crap; I'm not talking about those.)
Old 06-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Oh, I agree. I have seen them several times myself. I just haven't seen enough of the same model vehicle to make me sure that it is factory installed. I think it's probably the owners putting it on after they buy the car. I've seen two Mustangs with flashing third brake lights but I'm certain that Ford isn't installing them.

As far as it being illegal, I installed one myself on my Gold Wing because I figured I'd take the chance of getting a ticket rather than take the chance of getting hit by a sleepy driver. I've had it for four years now and never been pulled over. I think the cop would have to be having a really bad day to want to bother you about something so minor and obviously safety related. It also helps that the flashing stops after a few seconds - enough to get attention but not enough to be annoying to other drivers.