New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new motor with 300 miles on it now running like crap. Any help????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Brand new motor with 300 miles on it now running like crap. Any help????

Ok the motor is a 408 stroker and it ran ok when I first got it back except it was very rich due to 38# injectors and no tuning, it was pouring black smoke out of the back. It fouled out a set of plugs so we replaced them and it ran alot better. Ok so I got a mail order tune to get it up and going so I could atleast drive it and I also ordered a Shaner S2 TB. I got the mail order tune back and put it in and it ran ok. I then got my TB in and put it in and had no issues. I washed the car saturday and when I went to take off it kind of hesitated a little but cleared up and no more issues. It did it a couple of more times but would always clear up right after it started. Well it rained today and it was doing again and now it does it all the time. It will idle just fine but when you go to take off it feels like it is bogging down very badly and will barely move. If you saty in the pedal for a seocnd it will eventually jump out like a raped ape after about 2-3 seconds. If you let off and get back in it it will do the same thing again. At idle it smells like its rich but thats not uncommon not being tuned. I am supposed to go to TEA and have it tuned next week but cant go with it like this. ANy ideas on what to do? I trust the opinions of people here more than I would at other places and will do whatever you think it might be. 02 sensors? plugs? fuel filter or pump? I am lost and not made of money so I cant just go out and start replacing a whole bunch of stuff, especially after the price of the motor. And the problem doesnt feel like an issue that was caused by the builder so I would like to not have to take it back to him.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your throttle position sensor. with the engine off, turn the key on, then get a meter and probe the sensor. Should read near 0 closed and 4.5V at full open. Or, Do you have a scanner/logger/autotap? You can do the TPS test with it instead of a meter.

I would also pull a plug and take a look.

Not much, but a starting point. Do you have the original TB? Trying throwing it back on and see if the issue goes away. Just a process of elimination.

DEE
Old 06-15-2004, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

I do have the roiginal TB but I didnt think it would be that. I can check the TPS with a meter tough and see what the deal with that is but would the TPS really cause that much of a problem when you give it gas? I had no clue it would cause that much trouble. Thanks I will go try it and see.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

an exhaust leak at the heads can cause this hesitation also mine did it after my heads/cam swap and when i went back and re tightened all the header bolts it stopped.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Ok I checked all 3 wires and came up with some weird readings. At first the readings were .70 at 0 throttle and 1.20 at 100% throttle on just about every wire. I pulled the plug to look at it and it had water in it, or some kind of liquid that didnt smell. I ran my finger around in it a few times and putit back in and it jumped up to 1.70 at 0 throttle and 4. something at 100% throttle.

Which wire do I actually need to get the reading from?

Thanks alot it looks like we might be on to something.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

If it it running pig rich it is possible that the rings wont seat and cause problems like low compression and high oil consumption, if at all possible dont drive it until you can have it tuned.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Its not running that rich anymore. It was blowing black smoke before the mail order tune. What wire am I supposed to check on the TPS? And will water being in the plug cause my symptoms?
Old 06-15-2004, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

According to my manual,
(A) -grey wire, should be at 5V
(B) -black wire, should be at 0V, referenced to ground
(C) -Dark blue wire, should vary from 0V(closed) to 4.5V or more at WOT.

Check your coolant, is it low?

A TPS problem really screws up the tip in when you get on the throttle, so it will buck and sputter.

Any SES codes?

DEE
Old 06-15-2004, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah I have an SES code but havent had it checked yet. Like I said there was some kind of liquid in the plug. I am beginning to think that I got water up from the bottom of the car and it got into the throttlebody and got all of that stuff wet. I was going to check the air filter to see if it was wet, the guy that built my motor removed all of the lower plastic shrouding underneath the lower airbox and I think it was coming in there, but I got wrapped up in watching the Lakers get their asses handed to them again. Will the TPS plug having fluid in it cause it to do that? It seems like it would to me but I am not sure.

Thanks for the info!! I will check it out tomorrow and see what they read, maybe it will have dried out by then. If thats the problem I am going to wrap it in some kind of waterproof wrap so it doesnt happen again.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

When you say you pulled a plug and there was water present, are you referring to a spark plug. I am just making sure. If you are reffering to a spark plug:

I dont know a whole lot about engines, but I am pretty sure water going in your throttle body (I take it that you mean going in through the throttle body into the intake and so on?) that wont get water in where your spark plugs are, that will just interfere with the power. I know this is a bad thing. I would assume in the process of the engine running any water let into the cylined through the intake would be incenerated. I am guessing that water in the cylinder is maybe coming from a bad head gasket.

If you were talking about some other plug, then dis-regard all of my mumblings above.

otherwise, best of luck!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

No the plug that was wet was the TPS plug. It had some kind of fluid in it.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry about my confusion. Like I said, im not the brightest bulb out there. good luck on the new motor. I bet that thing is gonna kick *** when it is runnin right!