Sponsored by:

Tick, tick, tick...link included

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tick, tick, tick...link included

My engine ticks. What a surprise!

Anyways, my engine has this tick that I can mostly hear only when the car is warm. The tick does get a little faster as I rev, but once I go over 2k rpm the tick goes away.

I put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer to see if it would quiet down and it didnt, I also put some Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner just in case it was my was injectors and no cigar. I listened to all the injectors and they all sound the same. I actually listened to most of the top end of the engine and everything sounded alright. When I listened to the Coolant Temp Sensor, I could hear ticking coming from there. Is that normal? (I used the wooden spoon against the ear trick to 'listen')

I can hear the tick coming from the bottom of the engine bay. It doesnt sound like a spun bearing or anything like that (Ive had one, I know what it sounds like). So, here is a link. Please, download and try to "diagnose" if possible. Thanks a bunch guys.

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/pacmantj00_2001
Old 06-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Launching!

All LS1s tick......its a fact practically. Whether its valvetrain noise, injectors, piston slap or something else its very hard to diagnose in terms of just listening. Depending on how much your car is modded or how many miles on it also makes a difference. Im sure someone can help a little. Do a search on ticking, youll find a shitload of threads. Godd Luck
Old 06-19-2004, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Ive searched and searched on ticking. The reason I put the link up was becase there were so many different types of ticks. Im hoping someone will listen and be like "hey, my tick sounded like that"
Old 06-19-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be:

Blown header gaskets
Spark plugs are not correctly torqued down
bad lifter(s)
bent pushrod(s)
bent valve(s)
exhaust leak(s)
Aftermarket rocker(s) hitting the valve cover(s)

That's just a few, check all of those first.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I just thought of something.

Could worn piston rings be a reason that the car makes the ticking noise?

Im not too sure, but I think the mechanic may have re-used the piston rings after fixing my car for the spun bearing. I drove the car for around 1,000 miles before I took it to another mechanic for other problems. He then told me that the car was 1 1/2 quarts low on oil.

Maybe the worn piston rings are causing the car to consume oil...or maybe the mechanic just put too little oil in it.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so I took my car to the dealer and check this out...

They said that my Catback was the cause of my check engine light!?!?!?!?!?

Apparently, the part of the I-pipe that goes to over the axle hits the frame of the car, which causes my knock sensor to throw my SES light!?

WTF is that man?! I am so pissed.

These guys either have no idea what they are doing, or are too lazy to work on my car.

#1 - The knock sensor code isnt the only code my car was throwing. (It also threw an 02 sensor code 'P0135')

#2 - My engine is TICKING. I can hear it and even my service advisor could hear it. But what did the manager say? "We can't confirm that"

Yeah, Im extremely pissed.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

If at all possible get a way from a dealership service department, unless they are performance oriented you will be treated the same as the average monte carlo/ lumina/impala customer, Any performance shop that deals in LS1/LS6 engines will be much more perceptive to the engine niose that you are describing.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:41 AM
Teching In

I followed the link to listen but no sound clip is available
Old 07-07-2004, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Took it to the dealer.

He said the engine noise was normal.

So I guess thats that.

When I have free time Ill take it to an LS1 shop around here and see what they say.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

mine does the same exact thing and it drives me crazy. We just bought a new TA and it makes the same noise just not as loud (i guess mines louder bc of the headers) so i guess it put my mind at rest. I always thought it could have been an exhaust leak....
Old 07-08-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine ticks as well. It's really loud around 2000 rpm. I was under the impression it was piston slap but I'm not so sure now. Whatever it is, it doesn't affect performance.

I recently put headers and a loud cat back on my car so it doesn't bother me anymore.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the ticking disease as well. I have a few more bolts to take off before I check out my oil pump o-ring in the morning. It's either that or a lifter or both I hope. My oil was really dark which is kind of scaring me since it's 2 weeks old.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I have lots of ticking also, I think it is the headers. It is annoying though. Sometimes it is less noticable.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Had a ticking noise on the passenger side as well ... drove me crazy looking for it. I could hear it up around the block at the AC compressor mount, but it seemed to be synchronized with the cam and not the crank. Thought for a while I might have had a collapsed lifter. Finally gave up, and decided to check it out further when I do my cam swap (within the next three weeks !!).

Got around to changing my plugs, and while doing so, found that number 6 had evidence of hot gas "blow-by" on the outside of the plug.

After installing new plugs, the ticking went away !

So I second the idea mentioned above ... check that your plugs are all torqued in correctly !
Old 08-11-2004, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Unhappy

Yeah, mine ticks too. First became noticable after my header install. It seems to be getting louder or is it just my frustration.

Took it to the dealership as it is still under warrenty. The service manager said there was no point his tech's looking at it as they would just say return everything to stock.

It seems loudest underneath the passenger side of the car. But while feeling around I noticed that I could feel it through one of the ignition coils.

I have read about the cold engine pistol slap problem that f-body owners have but mine makes this noise cold, hot, whatever. The ticking definitely follows the revs.

I have looked and looked but there are so many things it might be I am considering just selling it. Thing is, who would want to buy it when it makes that racket. My last passenger said my car sounded like an old truck.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REVZ
Yeah, mine ticks too. First became noticable after my header install. It seems to be getting louder or is it just my frustration.

It seems loudest underneath the passenger side of the car. But while feeling around I noticed that I could feel it through one of the ignition coils.

I have looked and looked but there are so many things it might be I am considering just selling it. Thing is, who would want to buy it when it makes that racket. My last passenger said my car sounded like an old truck.
did you quadruple check that all of your plug wires are seated 100%?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by REVZ

Took it to the dealership as it is still under warrenty. The service manager said there was no point his tech's looking at it as they would just say return everything to stock.

I have read about the cold engine pistol slap problem that f-body owners have but mine makes this noise cold, hot, whatever. The ticking definitely follows the revs.

Try 10w40 oil and see if that helps with the ticking. It did for me.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I switched to 10w-30 mobil synthetic and that made my ticking less noticeable.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Teching In

I am going to quadruple check my plugs and pushrods this weekend. From now on I was use 10-30w instead of 5-30w. Cross your fingers.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Reseated plugs and checked push rods. Still ticking. Could it be a bad cat ?