Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon amp replacement details needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon amp replacement details needed

I'm replacing my monsoon amp with an amp sized at 3"x10.25"x14.5". I want to place it where the original amp was and keep the spare. Questions?
1) How exactly have people solved the issue of mounting it, in particular mounting brackets and attachment points? I've been told that the heat fins should run vertical, but this 4 channel amp is only 260watts and runs only the front midbass and rear tweeter/misbass speakers. I am running another dedicated amp for the sub.
2) How exactly have people solved the issue of attaching to the original wiring? For test purposes, I've stuffed the wire leads into the amp wiring loom connector block. I've thought about soldering the leads to paperclips pieces, taping the exposed joint and sticking the end into the connector block. I tried, but was unable to remove the amp block connectors themselves.
Any actual methods used to solve these issues will be great, even ideas will be helpfull.

Thanks,
David
Old 06-26-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are replacing the monsoon amp with an aftermarket amp? Getting it where the stock amp is shouldnt be a problem. But are you saying that you want to use the stock wires to power it? Because thats not going to work.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Teching In

I already have it working, but setting out on the rear deck. I'm using the original head unit with the amp being fed by the high output leads pulled off of the rear wrg connector. It actually sounds very good. I just don't know how to go about with the amp mounting and wire connection/tap/splice.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

As to the wiring, this thread should help:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/176569-z28-owners-get-rid-monsoon-amp-without-rewiring-whole-car.html
Old 06-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Teching In

It sounds like, for the wiring I either should cut the wires and splice or tap the wires in the harness. I may experiment with making pins out of paperclips which can be pushed into the connector.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

I just cut the thing off. I never plan to go back to stock. Once you remoce the Monsoon amp, you ca nuse the bracket/plate to mount your new amp in the same location.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:10 AM
Teching In

The only reason I am trying to save the harness is in case I resale and pull my stuff out. These amps are from the mustang I had, but for it I had an adapter that connected to the original amp location. I put the original stereo back in to resale. My amp is about 3 to 4 times larger than the original. What kind have brackets or mounting plates do I need to look at?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

It's easier just to manufacture one. Get a large sheet of ABS plastic, and mount it to the existing monsoon bracket. you'll need a hot knife or jigsaw, a drill, and four bolts.