Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Comes Unlocked...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Comes Unlocked...

...at highway speeds. Sometimes at around 65-70 just crusing along on the Interstate, it will come unlocked. The TC was programmed in after the cam install by Detroit Speed I was told by the previous owner, but I guess it failed to correct this. Is this going to hurt anything internally? I know I need another tune to correct it.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hear that it is common for a TC to unlock spuratically and then lock back up. i know mine does once and awhile when i am cruzing at the same speed for some time. if you planning on gettting it tuned then they should be able to solve all the problems. i dont think it is hurting anything, but is more of an annoyance.

J
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Hey man recently my tranny has been acting weird while cuising down the road to and from work (45 miles) if i cruise around 80 mph and i lightly give it gas the rpm's will continue to raise without actually goind any faster or anything almost like it is the stall converter not locking up or something. I tried it the other day when it started doing it and it reved all the way up to 4500 rpm without shifting or locking up. If i step on it when it does this is locks up and flys like a bat out of hell almost like I have a 4000 stall hehe. Anyone know if i should get a rebuild done or look for a used tranny out of a 98-02 fbody for around $450 seems to be the going rate. Or would you more than likely be putting your money on the stall converter. I am going to have the Tranny fluid changed soon because I have no idea when the last time it was done. Kinda sounds the same as yours maybe its time for new verter .
Old 07-01-2004, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
Hey man recently my tranny has been acting weird while cuising down the road to and from work (45 miles) if i cruise around 80 mph and i lightly give it gas the rpm's will continue to raise without actually goind any faster or anything almost like it is the stall converter not locking up or something. I tried it the other day when it started doing it and it reved all the way up to 4500 rpm without shifting or locking up. If i step on it when it does this is locks up and flys like a bat out of hell almost like I have a 4000 stall hehe. Anyone know if i should get a rebuild done or look for a used tranny out of a 98-02 fbody for around $450 seems to be the going rate. Or would you more than likely be putting your money on the stall converter. I am going to have the Tranny fluid changed soon because I have no idea when the last time it was done. Kinda sounds the same as yours maybe its time for new verter .
Sounds like your 3rd and 4th gear clutches are going out.
Does it to it in 1st or 2nd? Or your fluid is low
Old 07-01-2004, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoneSS
...at highway speeds. Sometimes at around 65-70 just crusing along on the Interstate, it will come unlocked. The TC was programmed in after the cam install by Detroit Speed I was told by the previous owner, but I guess it failed to correct this. Is this going to hurt anything internally? I know I need another tune to correct it.
They need to turn off misfire detection at idle and low rpms.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Ed. If I don't get this done soon, can it cause some damage to either the 'verter or the tranny?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't wait too long.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Say BoneSS nice color.... and wouldnt ya know that mine does the same thing.... mines at about 60 - 65 ish locks and unlocks... then when i stop and start again the shifts are weirder than **** there kinda loose and sloppy... But mine also throws a P1870 code.

Bad thing is that i took mine in for a rebuild cuz of it... thinkin it was 3-4 clutch pack but its still doin it... so i dunno ill keep ya updated and let ya know what we find after i take it in... Im runnin a Yank TT2800 3.0 kinda... before the build when the weirdness started i was. I still have the same stall but i got it custom stalled and its wicked now... Not sure exactly what it is cuz i dont wanna tear nething up cuz its not workin right. Supposed to be a 3600ish... Neway ill let ya know what we find... might just need to put a vacuum modulator on it and bypass all the electronic crap. Ill be in touch.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice car also! Please keep me updated. Mine shifts fine at all kinds of acceleration. It is just went I am cruising along on the interstate coming home from school it will just unlock and my rpms's will go up like it is unlocked--b/c it is--when I give it the gas, and then it will lock back up eventually. That is the only problem I have noticed. I hope it is what Ed said it is. Sucks though b/c no one has edit around here, and my car was tuned by Detroit Speedworks when the previous owner had the cam installed. Looks like I may end up being Edit for one code! I hope you get your problems sorted out though, sounds like it has been the source of some $$$ spent to say the least.