Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track times inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track times inside

Well, I went to the strip tonight. The only mods I have on my 2000 trans am a4 are a tsp lid and hooker cat back. I only got to race once, and it was my first time. Things I know I should change are: I didn't burn out enough, I launched at too high an rpm and slipped off the line, and didn't pull all the way up to the starting line. That being said, I'm overall happy w/ my times, being that it was my first time to race and that driving takes lots of practice to master, even in an a4 (i'm sure i'll get flamed for that comment by the m6's, hehehe). With all that being said, here are the times:

60': 2.382
1/8: 9.224
MPH: 81.22
1/4: 13.951
MPH: 103.73

I'm more happy w/ the mph on the 1/4 than w/ the et. Any comments/ suggestions? I launch at about 1600 rpm, I'll prolly go w/ 1400 next time.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I footbrake at 1100 rpm leave on the last yellow, half stab the throttle then mash it to the floor all in about a seconds time and i am pulling 1.9-2.0 60ft on z rated bfgs the less spin is what you want.its all in the first 60ft. i take my shoe off so i can feel the gas peddle. practice that launch dont worry about the guy next to you.practice practice practice.drag racing is ADDICTIVE Have fun!
Old 07-03-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

buy a 3500 stall and run in the 12's heehee
Old 07-03-2004, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TexMax
Well, I went to the strip tonight. The only mods I have on my 2000 trans am a4 are a tsp lid and hooker cat back. I only got to race once, and it was my first time. Things I know I should change are: I didn't burn out enough, I launched at too high an rpm and slipped off the line, and didn't pull all the way up to the starting line. That being said, I'm overall happy w/ my times, being that it was my first time to race and that driving takes lots of practice to master, even in an a4 (i'm sure i'll get flamed for that comment by the m6's, hehehe). With all that being said, here are the times:

60': 2.382
1/8: 9.224
MPH: 81.22
1/4: 13.951
MPH: 103.73

I'm more happy w/ the mph on the 1/4 than w/ the et. Any comments/ suggestions? I launch at about 1600 rpm, I'll prolly go w/ 1400 next time.

One run is all you got? Man I wonder about other tracks.. Here we get at least 7-10!
Anyways.. Flashing your stall would be best but you obviously are having traction problems.. You stated you burned out.. Do you have drag radials or were you burning street tires? You should not burnout on street tires as they will just chunk and you wont get traction.. You should do a couple quick spins to clean them off. Hopefully you went around the waterbox.
Your tires may also be junk. So many tires are. For street I prefer Yokohama AVS ES100's. Great tire for traction in dry and wet and will also be good for 1.9's at the track!

Dont mod your car more yet. Instead get more passes at the track and bring your times down by learning your car and how to drive it. Then any mod you get you will get the most out of it since you will be a better driver and understand your car more.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by psychocabbage
One run is all you got? Man I wonder about other tracks.. Here we get at least 7-10!
Anyways.. Flashing your stall would be best but you obviously are having traction problems.. You stated you burned out.. Do you have drag radials or were you burning street tires? You should not burnout on street tires as they will just chunk and you wont get traction.. You should do a couple quick spins to clean them off. Hopefully you went around the waterbox.
Your tires may also be junk. So many tires are. For street I prefer Yokohama AVS ES100's. Great tire for traction in dry and wet and will also be good for 1.9's at the track!

Dont mod your car more yet. Instead get more passes at the track and bring your times down by learning your car and how to drive it. Then any mod you get you will get the most out of it since you will be a better driver and understand your car more.
Yeah I only got one run because the decision to go to the track was a spur of the moment thing last night, and the track is an hour and a half away. I have some crappy khumo street tires on right now, but I'm going to be putting different ones on soon. There is going to be lots of stuff going on in a week/week and a half, and I'm going to have to totally relearn my car. We're talking gears, tc, headers, cam, shift kit. I'm gonna need a LOT of practice to get that thing under control, heh. Hey, thanks for the tips on the launch.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TexMax
Yeah I only got one run because the decision to go to the track was a spur of the moment thing last night, and the track is an hour and a half away. I have some crappy khumo street tires on right now, but I'm going to be putting different ones on soon. There is going to be lots of stuff going on in a week/week and a half, and I'm going to have to totally relearn my car. We're talking gears, tc, headers, cam, shift kit. I'm gonna need a LOT of practice to get that thing under control, heh. Hey, thanks for the tips on the launch.

with the TC you will get the option of stalling up higher.. dont get too big of a TC. .I all too often see people getting huge TC when 2800-3200 will do.
Hmmm cam and headers.. Going for some power huh? Just be very careful. If you arent used to your car yet, going with all that power can be dangerous.
Make sure you go easy on it while you learn it..
Old 07-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Launching!

I have a buddy with a stock A4 WS6 that runs 13.16 @ 104 mph, you are right there in the mph department and he only pulls 2.0 60's.....just sounds like you need more practice!
Old 07-03-2004, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sweet Cheeks
I have a buddy with a stock A4 WS6 that runs 13.16 @ 104 mph, you are right there in the mph department and he only pulls 2.0 60's.....just sounds like you need more practice!
Yep yep. That's one thing that's great about driving. There's always room for small technique improvements that lead to large et improvements.